Sign in to follow this  
EDSTARVR6

Whats your max MPG? Challenge

So then. After Clarkson went from London to Edinburgh and back on one tank in an Audi A6. What's the max MPG you can get out of your corrado.

I got 37.3mpg out of the VR6 after travelling on the A14 for an hour.

Give it ago, it's quite addictive once you get started.

had just over 36mpg on about one hours run was doing about 80mph tho so there is room for improvement. And I've had it above 30mpg If I change up at 2k on a 10 mile run to my old work! Most people say they wouldn't run my car because of the petrol it uses- usually thinking it will be as bad/worse than a golf vr6 which is not true, but of course it's the constant need to fix/renew parts that hits the wallet.

99.99! :D :lol:

best i've seen in the vr was 54.5, but that was pure fluke trundling along behind a granny doing 20 in a 30 zone and no way of overtaking for a good couple of miles, got a photo of it on my phone I'll upload later.

i can get my g60 to around 37 tottling about town, 5th gear at 30 though.

worst i've had is about 16 on a 1/2mile run just nailed it to 70 went round a roundabout then nailed it to 70 and turned off the carriageway to my house :p

LOL, if you reset the MFA while cruising in neutral (on a private track, of course, since it's not allowed on the public road), you can easily get 99.99.

Seriously though, I did this very challenge myself on a 12 mile trip home recently, late at night, taking the route with hardly any traffic lights, and using an anorak level of knowledge of the timing of the unavoidable traffic lights to avoid braking, and managed 35 mpg overall.

The norm for that trip is probably around 27-29 but my long term average over all trips is just over 25. This is mainly short motorway trips with some city driving.

On holiday last year in Scotland I averaged 37.5 over a 70-80 mile trip, just ambling along at around 50-60mph.

I've had 38.4mpg doing a steady 80mph on the motorway. (M4-M25-M11). That was for the whole hour and a half journey. As mentioned above, it's pretty easy to get silly high readings by resetting the MFA at the apropriate moment.

Averaged 34.8mpg on the round trip to Summer nights last night...

Congleton to York Via the A34, M60, M62, A1/M and 2 service stations, then York to Skipton for a pub dinner and back to Congleton via a breathaliser stop :roll: the M65 and the M6...

Not bad really considering I managed to average 56mph at the end of the day 3:45 travelling and 260ish miles...

Reckon I can probably legitimately get it up into the low 40mpgs if I take it nice and steady... 8) (and no, she's not running lean, she's spot on... :p )

Yeah the MFA isn't the best way to record mpg, although it's actually quite accurate on the VR....mine 'averages' 33mpg....and that encompasses all speeds and conditions and worked out the olf fashioned way :wink:

erm, that WAS averaged from fuel consumption, NOT what the MFA said... 8) (although I'll agree, my MFA wasn't a mile out - it was about 0.4 out! ;) :lol: )

wasnt that test that clarkson did actually in the A8 not the A6. it was the diesel one. v8 turbo diesel i think.

When i had my corrado i got 35mpg on a long run with the schrick fitted. think i got it down to about 20 after a sprint home from london one night :)

erm, that WAS averaged from fuel consumption, NOT what the MFA said... 8)

You should have said then :p :lol:

Only messing..... that wasn't aimed at you anyway, just adding to the thread in general.

wasnt that test that clarkson did actually in the A8 not the A6. it was the diesel one. v8 turbo diesel i think.

Yep, and typically in true TG style, the engine spluttered and died just as he pulled up to pump :roll:

erm, that WAS averaged from fuel consumption, NOT what the MFA said... 8)

You should have said then :p :lol:

Only messing..... that wasn't aimed at you anyway, just adding to the thread in general.

And the reply wasn't aimed at you either... Thought I'd better point out that I did it with maths rather than believing the MFA! ;) :lol:

Got 52.0 a couple of weeks ago over a 20 minute journey........ was driving down from Les Deux alpes at the time though. No neutral coasting either!

Can do 38.5 on a 30 min trip to work though whenever feeling ecological. Aah the joys of 16v cheapness!

I got a bit adicted to this when I had my S2...... it gets obsessive and kinda takes the enjoyment away from driving - especially when you start calculating the MPG from every fuel recipt to see how far out the trip gauge is..........

most i've ever got is 34 on the MFA (never actually done it the old fasiond way)

My lady recons she's had 38 out of it. don't you just know how many times i've heard that.

Got 52 in my old G60 once. 20 mile journey driving like a granny. 49 from my first valver and 37 from my current VR on a drive down to Eastbourne.

Most ive got is 49 the day i bought my Car. I followed my g/f from central London to Huddersfield doing 70mph. Most i get now is about 36.

Trip to Elgin and back, mixture of roads and the odd bit of traffic, max speed of 75mph and only put the foot down once or twice to overtake, and once to get a leon cupra off my back, 400 miles total.... 38.9mpg. Still had about a quarter tank left.

Can do 38.5 on a 30 min trip to work though whenever feeling ecological. Aah the joys of 16v cheapness!

Blimey! I must work out what's wrong with mine then, as I was pleased with 34.5mpg (indicated) travelling at about 60mph. I never get more than 400 miles out of a 12 gallon tank which is only 33.3mpg. Running rich perhaps?