Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

Atn: G60 Corrado owners (don't know about the others)

woo hoo finally found the leak it was the hose that meets the injector rail ive trimmed the hose for now but ill replace it when the bits arrive, thank god for that was driving me mad wasnt even looking for it either!

To be fair, a 10+ year old car is going to need attention in the fuel line area as rubber is not the longest lasting of items, especially as petrol perishes it....should have been picked up in the servicing.

There was a recall on the VR6 relating to wire and fuel line chaffing but I've replaced my rail hoses anyway and tidied up all the wiring so that no rubbage can occur and cause fires.....

tell me about it, it is not a nice thing to happen, i had it on my vre6, the fooking car is costing me a fortune to rebuild, but it will be better than original now, the lines on the side of the block chaff off the wires for the air sensor

Getting these replaced in the next few weeks, better to be safe than sorry, moving up to Shropshire costing me a fortune - both cars booked in with JMR for services plus bits and pieces like new rear discs, bearings and at long last my toothed belt drive - stopped adding up how much I've spent

I get a slight whif of petrolium first thing in the morning when I start mine up. Any other time its fine?

Do u think this is because of the above problem or something else, ie the choke wanging in more juice on a cold welsh morning?

you shouldn't ever be able to smell petrol from inside the car... next time you start it from cold, open the bonnet and check around the pipes just as you turn on the ignition. This will be when it leaks as the fuel pump pressurises the system for the first time...

cheers Henny.

I'm not the best when it comes to engine bays. Can you give me an idea where to look.

Cheers

Fez,

which pipes are we talking about dudes pics??

The two at the driver side front strut tower: There are 2 hoses attached, one leading to the fuel rail, the other coming from the bottom connector on the FPR.

Then there's a 3rd fuel hose at the right hand side of the engine block (when standing in front of your Rado, i.e. on the gearbox side), that comes from the fuel rail and leads to a pressure switch which in turn is attached to the throttle body.

I got my braided hoses from Demon Tweeks according to my paper work, probably way to expensive compared to GSF, so try them first, I'd say ;-)

Tempest

;)

Fez,
which pipes are we talking about dudes pics??

The two at the driver side front strut tower: There are 2 hoses attached, one leading to the fuel rail, the other coming from the bottom connector on the FPR.

Then there's a 3rd fuel hose at the right hand side of the engine block (when standing in front of your Rado, i.e. on the gearbox side), that comes from the fuel rail and leads to a pressure switch which in turn is attached to the throttle body.

I got my braided hoses from Demon Tweeks according to my paper work, probably way to expensive compared to GSF, so try them first, I'd say ;-)

Tempest

;)

D'oh :roll:

When mine were replaced they were both showing signs of breaking up internally, get them replaced guys, they might look ok externally (mine certainly did) but no guarantee that they'll be ok internally

who cares, the steering wheel was on the wrong site anyway!

Seriously, is there any news or proof of the same happening to the VR fuel pipes, i know the issue with the exhaust isn't present but i have had issues with the crap clips and leaking fuel from the joint where the pipes join the fuel rail?

Chris

Pipes on my G60 looked in good condition at the fuel rail end. The badly perished end was where the pipes attach to the fuel lines to/from the tank.

A metre of 8mm reinforced fuel hose sorted the whole job out. :mrgreen:

oh dear - this probably explains why mine has had 3 fuel leaks :p

anyone found out the VAG part numbers for these three hoses? I would go to the stealership, but tbh, im not entirely sure what i would be looking at on the exploded diagram

I also have the smell of optimax in the morning. Seems to be coming from the first pipe that goes into the rail at the left hand side as you look at the engine.

Is it ok to trim this or as someone above has said has anyone got the part numbers from VAG.

Cheers tim

timg60, Trimming isn't a good idea - the old hose will be just as worn all the way down.

Use 8mm fuel hose & just cut it to length, mine works a treat now.

so, hoping not to sound thick here, but where's the best place to get 8mm hose??

Well - as we (GSF) don't sell it, I got mine from a local motor factors. Make sure you ask for "fuel hose" though - it's fabric reinforced rubber pipe.

Just spotted this thread.

I had this recently on my VR. It started with a strong fuel smell when just started, which gradually got worse until one morning I noticed a puddle of petrol under the car as she sat on the drive warming up. I had checked the 2 fuel pipes that connected to the fuel rail when I first noticed the smell and they loooked in very good nick externally so left them.

I traced the leak to where the chassis pipes meet the engine bay pipes (down by the lambda wiring) so ordered 2 new engine bay pipes. When I took the old ones of they were totally f^&ked on the inside at both ends, with 7-8 large internal 1mm deep by 6 mm long cracks, that stopped just shy of the surface :shock:

So, VR owners also beware and check them out a.s.a.p., and remove them to check the insides as the surface can look fine!

Dutch

helo people i just picked up my g60 raddo yesterday and i did notice the smell of petrol from the engine bay after parking it up on my drive,im off for a butchers :)