Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

Atn: G60 Corrado owners (don't know about the others)

Just spotted this on a German Corradoforum this morning:

http://www.feuerwehr-verden.de/einsaetze/pkwbrandaufdernordertorkreuzung.html

Ok, the report is in German, but that fire is REAL. Almost definitely caused by porous fuel lines inside the engine bay, where on the G60 engines the lines run frighteningly close to hot engine parts, and once split, fuel can happily seep onto the exhuast manifold, anfd then you've got a nice fire like the one shown on the pictures in that report.

Hence replace them! I've just replace all 3 on my G60 with some nice braided ones, using new clips, as according to VWoA, there's also a saftey recall on the clips used on early G60 Corrados, as the early clips did not cope very well with the expansion and contraction of the rubber hose, thus on a cold morning leading to the risk of fuel getting past the clip, and yes, again dripping onto the manifold.

Self-tighteing clips are now used.

Tempest

:shock: and :cry:

I've made this an annoucement, so thanks for drawing our attention to it Tempest.

To be fair, a 10+ year old car is going to need attention in the fuel line area as rubber is not the longest lasting of items, especially as petrol perishes it....should have been picked up in the servicing.

There was a recall on the VR6 relating to wire and fuel line chaffing but I've replaced my rail hoses anyway and tidied up all the wiring so that no rubbage can occur and cause fires.....

Where can we get the braided fuel lines from?

I just did a google-search for UK suppliers and found one, will have to check the paperwork at home (if I've still got it :roll: ).

That's what you get for running 3-spokes.

Funny, you know, as my eyes were drawn to those alloys as well :lol:

Tempest

I've been there before.. the fuel hose leading to the switch (seems to be one of the most common ones to go) split and was kindly spraying petrol all over the hot exhaust manifold. Couldn't work out why my car reeked of petrol and then one day after I got to work I opened the bonnet and saw the fuel dripping out and sizzling down on the engine. I couldn't believe my eyes!

Anyway.. its a quick job to get it sorted. Do it before you end up like that guy with your pride and joy ruined..

If you can't find / afford braided hoses, just go to VW for replacement OE pipework which will probably last you another 10 years!

Well its not just a light smell.. the crack in my fuel hose wasn't exactly big but it absolutely reeked. Like sitting in traffic, then when I got home.. I could smell the car from a good few feet away when walking away from it.

You could have the same kind of thing I had in my Corrado.. there was a small split in the gasket that connected the manifold to the block and whenever I gave the car 'beans' it'd result in a noticable exhaust smell for a few seconds.. but depending on the type of fuel I used, it either smelled dirty like exhaust fumes (optimax) or quite sweet like fuel (ultimate) - could it be something similar to that?

which pipes are we talking about dudes pics??

The two at the driver side front strut tower: There are 2 hoses attached, one leading to the fuel rail, the other coming from the bottom connector on the FPR.

Then there's a 3rd fuel hose at the right hand side of the engine block (when standing in front of your Rado, i.e. on the gearbox side), that comes from the fuel rail and leads to a pressure switch which in turn is attached to the throttle body.

I got my braided hoses from Demon Tweeks according to my paper work, probably way to expensive compared to GSF, so try them first, I'd say ;-)

Tempest

I'm just glaf his mates got out of the back. They clearly did, looking at the ride height.

Hang on a minute, mines even higher..........

Hate to see it though, it looked tidy. Off to check my hoses, well spotted Tempest.

i had this on my old mk2 golf i could'nt figure out where the smell was coming from until i turned the ignition on with the bonnet open and fuel sprayed a good 4 or 5 meters

This is a common fault with the fuel lines on our now rather older Coupes, and i have been replacing these on my customers Corrados for a good two years now. The ends of the rubber hoses perish and crack internally along the length of the hose, this in turn allows fuel to weep from the hose irespective of how much one tightens the hose onto the conector. Do not be tempted to cut back the hoses thinking that you have resolved the problem as this only serves to put extra strain on the hose due to lack of length and the cracking will reoccur. The problem usually starts with the owner reporting the smell of fuel being apparent. The fault is not easily allways detected at this stage as so small is the fuel loss it evaporates instantly. If unattended to, this fuel loss becomes more profound and fuel will be observed leaking out onto the manifolds!! My advice is not to wait for any signs of the problem but to replace these hoses now. The dealer items are not cheap but are the best fitting and have benefitted from being made now from a different compound of rubber. These hoses have to follow some very sharp bends so i have my reservsations over using unshaped replacements.

yeah but the smell in my G60 seems to go once engine is warm. only time i notice it is first 10 mins of running car in morning. Any diagrams of ALL 3 fuel hose within the engine (overview?)

Any diagrams of ALL 3 fuel hose within the engine

that would be good as i get this as well but cant find a leak any where want to just replace the hoses as a matter of course any part numbers or just use 10mm fuel hose?

It's 8mm fuel hose but some of the G60 ones are moulded because of tight bends so really best to get them from the dealer...

I simply got a reel of about 2 metres or so braided fuel lines (to withstand max. pressure of 50 bar) from Demon Tweeks, cut the lengths using the old hoses as pattern, and stuck the new ones on. The old ones had bad signs of cracking along the inner perimtere where the slide onto the fuel rail!

yeah but the smell in my G60 seems to go once engine is warm. only time i notice it is first 10 mins of running car in morning.

The hoses are made of rubber, which contracts and expands with temperature. The clips holding these hoses do not allow for this contraction and expansion, so when it's cold (in the morning), the rubber has contracted, and there is a wee bit of a gap between the hose, the clip (not fully pressurising the hose around the inlet on the fuel rail) and the fuel rail inlet. This is where a small amount of fuel then seeps past the clip on start-up, as the pressure of 3 bar is there straight away from the pump.

This has been a reason for a recall on all US-spec Rados (even have the recall document at home) to replace the clips and hoses.

Tempest