Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

Well, having the charger I thought I might go for a larger bore than the OEM system, but I still have a few queries about that. What's the best size to go for and would it be better to get a 6 branch manifold at the same time? What about cat issues when it comes to MOT time? I'm assuming my old cat won't fit due to increased bore size, so where would I get another from without paying through the nose?

Thanks.

Jim, probably well worth you looking into a nice 2.5" system through-out, if you're 'friends' with you're local MOT station then i'd go:-

Raceland 6 branch (think i got mine off e-bay for £150)....great quality for the money

G-Werks De-Cat (about £60-65 - supplied only)

Custom 2.5" system of some description (???)

all of the above will really help you're engine & charger breathe more easily and in doing so keep the head temps down and generate a few more bhp, i'd give Darren down at G-Werks a call and pop down to see the boys down there as sure he could make you up a nice 2.5" cat-back system.

They fitted my Raceland / de-cat no probs and when funds permit i'll be getting shot of the Miltek and going this way myself albeit i'd like 2.75"

re: MOT time its really just a case of finding one thats not a complete Nazi come inspection time, as long as my emmissions are within the limits mines ok with me.

HTH Alex.

Well, having the charger I thought I might go for a larger bore than the OEM system, but I still have a few queries about that. What's the best size to go for and would it be better to get a 6 branch manifold at the same time? What about cat issues when it comes to MOT time? I'm assuming my old cat won't fit due to increased bore size, so where would I get another from without paying through the nose?

Thanks.

Car: 92 G60

Exhaust: G-Werks two box 2.5" de-cat with standard manifold

Opinion: Fitting was off to begin with, had loads of knocking on the rear beam and that was before lowering. Took plenty of re-fitting attempts and searching for the smallest mounts I could find to get it to stop knocking on the rear beam after lowering (not extreme lower either). now it is set up without knocking I am very happy with it, sound is a nice rumble at idle and builds up to a nice throaty sound at high revs. I would recommend this exhaust although I do think the bend between the first and second box needs to be brought forward a bit, I don't know if this is just mine or a design fault.

Can anyone recomend any good 6 branches for me? I see someone likes the raceland one, any others i should be looking for?

And i hear they are a little difficult to fit, are they really hard or is there a knack to fitting them?

dubpower one is specifically designed for rhd cars. nothing else special about it though. not that hard to fit can be done quite quickly. i think unless you run their de-cat aswell u need an adaptor plate from them to fit on the cat though. raceland are nice and cheap, dont know if that means they may crack on the welds? supersprint is another but more expensive. i think miltek do one too.

When I bought my VR6 it had a standard exhaust apart from a Supersprint backbox.

Hated it, it was a massive stupid looking 5in pipe and was blowing very badly so was surely losing power.

So replaced it with a cat-back Milltek system from Awesome GTI (excellent service by the way) and it is about a million times better.

Much quieter than the stupid backbox but makes that wonderful VR roar sound amazing, rumbles from down low and just gets better and better, love it.

Well worth the £380 it cost

I was going to order a new zorst next week, Magnex in fact, but since they have gone bust I wont be getting one!

Would someone mind posting a pic of their VR with the Jetex oval fitted? I'd like to see how it fits and how far it sticks out from the bumper.

Thanks.

i was thinkin of using a 3" system on the g60 now it being turboed, theres a vr6 in me local scraper with what looks like a brand new backbox, is the bore on vr systems bigger as i could straight through to the backbox if need be? i just want much flow as possible for the turbo as it needs no back pressure at all, plus mine has a supersprint system on now which surely must be worth something?

if anyone has a jmr milltek downpipe that they dont need please pm me.

also, is the standard corrado system 2.25''? as im looking at buying the milltek decat, but they list it as 2.13'' diameter!

paul

I just got a TechTonics (with dual Borla mufflers) fitted today from Awesome GTI, (ordered from Mr Schimmel from across the pond - great service) and although I dont really have any quality exhaust (supersprint, miltek etc) to compare it to except my original VW exhaust, I have to admit, I think I would prefer the burble to be even quieter at lower speeds and on throttle.

I much preferred the volume of the OEM exhaust at lower speeds and on throttle, or am I just getting old? It's not loud by any means, just louder than the standard one and I enjoyed the "invisible" exhaust, ie no sound...

At motorway speeds it's actually quite quiet and I am happy with it at those speeds.

What is anyone else's opinion on the burble at lower speeds and on throttle compared to the original exhaust?

Im looking for a sporty back box, that makes the car grumble on idle. Not like the performance sound of really deep and smooth sound. But sort of like a scooby on start, just sound is a bit slower and not as crisp as a scooby. My mate had one on his astra gte years back and it was the best sounding car ive ever heard. Just havnt heard any exhausts sound like that again. Anyone got any ideas?

Im looking for a sporty back box, that makes the car grumble on idle. Not like the performance sound of really deep and smooth sound. But sort of like a scooby on start, just sound is a bit slower and not as crisp as a scooby. My mate had one on his astra gte years back and it was the best sounding car ive ever heard. Just havnt heard any exhausts sound like that again. Anyone got any ideas?

put any straight through system on then remove one ht lead so its missfiring and it will sound just like a scooby.

put any straight through system on then remove one ht lead so its missfiring and it will sound just like a scooby.

Ha ha :lol:

I dont want it to sound like a scooby, n i dont exactly wanna be on 3 cylinders. But thanx, for all your usefull help? :D

Im going to take A silencer out next week, then play with some different back boxes.

Has anyone compared a DUBpower exhaust against a Magnex? I’m torn and cant decide which to get, just looking for a slightly raspier note without the horrid drone on motorway cruises.

I just got a TechTonics (with dual Borla mufflers) fitted today from Awesome GTI, (ordered from Mr Schimmel from across the pond - great service) and although I dont really have any quality exhaust (supersprint, miltek etc) to compare it to except my original VW exhaust, I have to admit, I think I would prefer the burble to be even quieter at lower speeds and on throttle.

I much preferred the volume of the OEM exhaust at lower speeds and on throttle, or am I just getting old? It's not loud by any means, just louder than the standard one and I enjoyed the "invisible" exhaust, ie no sound...

At motorway speeds it's actually quite quiet and I am happy with it at those speeds.

What is anyone else's opinion on the burble at lower speeds and on throttle compared to the original exhaust?

I think it should get slightly quieter as it cokes up. But im with you that i way prefer quiet exhausts, if it hadn't of gone rusty my oe exhaust suited me just fine.

Hope me putting this in this threat was right and if it wasn't Sorry Mods.

I want to modify the downpipe on my C. The engine was a the 1.8 16v but is now a 2L (6A head and block) I can't afford a Nice new 4branch ( oh that would be Nice) so i got a 2L down pipe off of Flusted ( Thanks Mate) but a need for the time being to mate it up the the middle rear box( the square one ) till i can save enough money and have a full SS system fitted.

So I ask any one know where i Could buy a length off pipe with the Dia of 55mm long enough to go from the 2l downpipe to the box?

Any advice would be great

Thanks in advance

My son has just put a Jetex on his VR - had a standard VW one that was knackerd. It is the cat back 2 silencer stainless system and Venom are doing them for £312.

Him and a mate fitted it in a domestic garage - just jacked up one side of the car with a couple of trolley jacks.

Fitting was very straightforward even when grovelling about on a garage floor - probably took about 2 hours to remove old and fit the Jetex, needed 2 people

Fit is perfect - no bangs or clonks, does not touch anywhere

Oval tail pipe fits neatly where it should

It is a quality product

It must have reduced weight by about 15kgs - no 'suitcase' box for a start. It is loads lighter than the standard one.

There are no baffles - someone on here said they are baffled, but they are not, you can see straight through the silencer boxes

Gives a nice deep burble, quiet around town, no rasping, occaisional (rather satisfying) pop on overrun

Overall I'd describe it as very civilised, but rewarding when you rag it (bit hard to tell as it has a Green Cotton cone filter fitted which barks like a beast over 3,000 rpm and with the pedal down)

Don't know about power increase but it has improved throttle response and pull from low down in the rev range

The 3 silencer version can't be much louder than a standard exhaust???

When my Golf VR (sorry) needs a new exhaust, I'll defo put one of these on. That way I'll avoid joining the Citroen Saxo muppet brigade but have an exhaust that fits properly and sounds nice!!

My MOT is coming up soon and I recently discovered a potentially fail worthy hole in my OEM exhaust. My thoughts are that I might as well take the opportunity to fit a stainless (cat back) system, but only for the corrosion resistance. I don't mind a bit of noise once the revs are up nice and high, but I really want to avoid any Corsa-esque farty stuff at idle. So what I'm getting at is I'm after a stainless exhaust which is mostly quiet (I realise these properties conflict, by the way). I also don't want any stupid looking tail pipes, if possible.

I've read most of the thread but it's pretty hard to come to a decision as there are lots of different opinions, often conflicting. It looks like the options are:

Milltek

Jetex

Supersprint (not fully SS?)

Dubpower

Techtonics (not available in the UK?)

Magnex (not available as they've gone bust?)

Scorpion

Powerflow

Have I missed any? In terms of noise it seems like the Supersprint, Dubpower and Magnex are the ones to choose from, whereas the others are more noisy. Does this sound about right? Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Dubpower as it's fully stainless and easily available. Sound sensible? :shrug:

It's for a VR6 and I'll be fitting it myself so options which are deliverable are preferable. TIA.

1 Vote hear for the supersprint. No its not a full S/S just the back box is. Noise wise you wouldnt even tell it from OEM i dont think. Cant tell when driving the car, at slow speed or motorway speeds. The only time i can tell a difference between it and OEM is when im stood at back of car on idle - theres a nice subtle burble. Never had my own car drive passed me, so i dont know what its like from the outside when driving :lol:

One down fall is its more expensive then a fully s/s like a milltek or jetex. But imo is worth the extra bucks.

Just fitted a stainless jetex system to my 2.0 16v. Great fit, no louder than standard until you give it some and good subtle tail pipe design. Got a good price from Tuningwerkes as well

My MOT is coming up soon and I recently discovered a potentially fail worthy hole in my OEM exhaust. My thoughts are that I might as well take the opportunity to fit a stainless (cat back) system, but only for the corrosion resistance. I don't mind a bit of noise once the revs are up nice and high, but I really want to avoid any Corsa-esque farty stuff at idle. So what I'm getting at is I'm after a stainless exhaust which is mostly quiet (I realise these properties conflict, by the way). I also don't want any stupid looking tail pipes, if possible.

I've read most of the thread but it's pretty hard to come to a decision as there are lots of different opinions, often conflicting. It looks like the options are:

Milltek

Jetex

Supersprint (not fully SS?)

Dubpower

Techtonics (not available in the UK?)

Magnex (not available as they've gone bust?)

Scorpion

Powerflow

Have I missed any? In terms of noise it seems like the Supersprint, Dubpower and Magnex are the ones to choose from, whereas the others are more noisy. Does this sound about right? Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Dubpower as it's fully stainless and easily available. Sound sensible? :shrug:

It's for a VR6 and I'll be fitting it myself so options which are deliverable are preferable. TIA.

I have the same problem, as had an advisory following my MOT....am personally looking at a Milltek. Will need to pay a garage to fit as I have neither the expertise or space to do it myself. I had a powerflow on my clio 172, and was a bit too noisy imo - plus it fell off when the mounting welds failed.

The guy at the garage recommended a 'Longlife' exhaust....anyone heard of or used??

Keep us updated about which one you end up choosing......

The guy at the garage recommended a 'Longlife' exhaust....anyone heard of or used??

Just been quoted £369 fitted for the Longlife exhaust, and can even pick the sound apparently........really interested to hear if anyone has had a longlife before.........

I was thinking the other day about how the exhaust system mount points are quite poor on the Corrado and other Mk2-esque VWs.

From the engine:

the manifold mounts on the head with xx bolts,

the manifold mounts to the downpipe (which may have a silencer on) with 3? bolts in a triangular pattern.

the downpipe mounts to centre pipe join with a U-shape bracket,

the centre pipe mounts to the first silencer with a U-bracket - the silencer also mounts to the floorpan using hook / bar bracket.

the first silencer goes up and over the rear beam and mounts to the backbox with a U-bracket - this box is also mounted to the floorpan.

The mount point between the downpipe and centre pipe has been an issue on at least 3 cars I know of: My C, Prodigal's C and my old Mk2 16v. The problem seems to be that there is no support for the downpipe apart from hanging off the manifold; this seems to place a lot of stress on the downpipe-centrepipe join, and this has started blowing at one point or another on all 3 cars mentioned above. My golf had soft engine mounts so that meant the engine moved more than it should have, but I still reckon there is scope for getting some kind of extra bracket (perhaps just as the DP goes under the bulkhead?) to take more of the strain, which would stop the join from working loose. This extra bracket would obviously have to allow for some movement.

I'l try to get some pics up sometime.

Any thoughts?