Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

Blimey, I didn't realise their MK2 was FWD still! I can just picture Dave Walker's face :D He's a bit old school and not a fan of huge power cars. He always moans about them in his monthly peice in PPC! He did actually comment on Storms Charged R32 MK2 saying it was far too much power for a Golf, LOL!

What gearbox is he using? O2M?

Last I heard Jon has had all his downpipe etc tigged up so he shouldn't be too far off. I reckon he'll blow the engine..... just a hunch I have :D

Last I heard Jon has had all his downpipe etc tigged up so he shouldn't be too far off. I reckon he'll blow the engine..... just a hunch I have :D

What gave you this hunch apart from bad posture? :grin:

Dunno, but I was similarly wondering if you could use a BMC with a V9...i think Kev is using one on his turbo setup.

If the Carbonio pipe's ID is 3" or larger, then yep, that'll be fine for forced induction.

BMC with a V9 charger - I did look into that when mine was V9'd but there's no room for one as it has to hang underneath the wing. A smaller one might work though.

If the Carbonio pipe's ID is 3" or larger, then yep, that'll be fine for forced induction.

BMC with a V9 charger - I did look into that when mine was V9'd but there's no room for one as it has to hang underneath the wing. A smaller one might work though.

Cheers Kev, can't find any info about sizes on the web but I'll ask the seller to measure it.

Out of interest do you know what size the BMC's are? ie: what you're using?

Out of interest do you know what size the BMC's are? ie: what you're using?

How do you mean, which car specific one or the diameter?

the dia is the same as the normal vr inlet (3"?) , i beleive there are only two types of bmc, one for smaller engines and one for larger which we use.

iirc of course :wink:

The BMC bore is pretty big, ~ 83mm inside diamater silicon needed.

And yep, you get BMCs for engines up to 1600cc (the one that might work on yours Corradude) and ones for 1600cc+

The BMC bore is pretty big, ~ 83mm inside diamater silicon needed.

And yep, you get BMCs for engines up to 1600cc (the one that might work on yours Corradude) and ones for 1600cc+

would it not strangle the airflow into the charger or would it suck it in extra quick?

i just ask it cos our engines are nearly twice the size for the smaller one and fi too...

Was that mk2 r36 twin charged featured last year? If its the same car i'm tinking of it had 165/50 15 tyres streched on the front! Surley wouldn't put the power down in any gear even with a slipper!

hi people i just thought id post up a couple of pics of some new parts and to clear up a couple of issues with the SPA turbo manifold, i have brought a genuine SPA manifold from strictly dubs as they are just down the road from me and i took some exhaust gaskets with me to check and all is good with port and stud allignment it also seems that the manifold i got has been coated as it was one of SPA's display manifold. i also got a 38mm Tial wastgate while i was there too.

i now want to buy my turbo but am unsure of which to buy it is either a Garrett GT3076 or a GT35, the thing is i am using the standard inlet manifold so i am guessing that will make things a little more laggy on spool up. i would like to be on full boost before 4,000 rpm. my spec so far is Schrick BVH, SP263 cams, Wossner 82.5mm low comps, ARP bolts and OBD2 convertion.

cheers

If I wanted to go 10 psi on my V9 would it just be a case of getting a smaller pulley, or would I start to need looking at gasket spacers and charge cooling? (i do have a water injection pump, but its not quite hooked up yet...long story...)

Hi Black Dub, make sure the back of the manifold that the mounting nuts sit against is machined flat (so the nuts / washers sit square to the head) or you'll end up pulling the studs out of the head. Should be quite a squeeze with the standard manifold?

Always wondered what was supposed to be written on the top of the manifold, mine was ground off for some reason ....... say no more.....

hi people i just thought id post up a couple of pics of some new parts and to clear up a couple of issues with the SPA turbo manifold, i have brought a genuine SPA manifold from strictly dubs as they are just down the road from me and i took some exhaust gaskets with me to check and all is good with port and stud allignment it also seems that the manifold i got has been coated as it was one of SPA's display manifold. i also got a 38mm Tial wastgate while i was there too.

i now want to buy my turbo but am unsure of which to buy it is either a Garrett GT3076 or a GT35, the thing is i am using the standard inlet manifold so i am guessing that will make things a little more laggy on spool up. i would like to be on full boost before 4,000 rpm. my spec so far is Schrick BVH, SP263 cams, Wossner 82.5mm low comps, ARP bolts and OBD2 convertion.

cheers

Sounds like you are coming along Mark :D

The question of GT30 or GT35 should spark a good debate in this thread, I went for the 3076 for the quicker spool. From what I hear the 3076 is good for upto 500hp if you want more power then that you will need the GT35.

Mine arrived from the states yesterday :clap:

STA40978.jpg

STA40983.jpg

arent some people now using the ATP manifold? And did i read correctly that the ATP manifold wil come in a RHD version soon?

If I wanted to go 10 psi on my V9 would it just be a case of getting a smaller pulley, or would I start to need looking at gasket spacers and charge cooling? (i do have a water injection pump, but its not quite hooked up yet...long story...)

In my opinion you will be fine with 10psi on standard CR, you will need to hook up that water injection tho!

I know a guy who makes the pulleys up if you need one, blackdub will vouch for them as he bought one.

Here is a pic of the 10psi pulley I had made and used on my V9 on standard CR with the Schimmel water/meth injection.

IMG_0147.jpg

arent some people now using the ATP manifold? And did i read correctly that the ATP manifold wil come in a RHD version soon?

Yeah, Stormcharged is using one on his VRT.

I went for the ATP manifold too, its a very tight fit with the master cylinder and reservior.

I went for the ATP manifold too, its a very tight fit with the master cylinder and reservior.

They get relocated though?

They get relocated though?[/quote:2vkbpp3a]

Stormcharged relocated the reservior on his install and I think Pianowire will be relocating the reservior when he changes to the ATP manifold.

I will see what the final clearance is like before I make a final decision on mine.

If your turbo has a 4" inlet then the brake resevoir will need relocating. A lot T3/T4e turbo users get away with it as they only have a 3" inlet, which just about squeezes in the gap.

Moving the brake pot isn't difficult. You'll need a little motorbike pot for the clutch and Rally Design sell a nice twin outlet pot with level sensor for the brakes, which can be mounted above the heat matrix hoses like Shaun's, then you just run hoses over to the master cylinder.

Black dub, your manifold looks a damn site better than mine, good luck with that. Personally I would go GT35, but if you do, I would upgrade to a 44mm Wastegate. If you go GT30, the 38mm Wastegate is OK for that. Both the GT30 and GT35 will be full boosting before 4000rpm if you go for the 0.82 back housing. Your stock manifold will give a better midrange - 3500 - 4000 rpm - and shouldn't be laggy.