Sign in to follow this  
shawshankkid

Changing fuel filter.

Changed my fuel filter today on G60. (part number 1H0 201 511A) Popped a few pics up if anybody needs any help with it. Very simple job that took about 30 minutes. You don't have to jack the rear of the car up to do it but it will give you more room to work if you do. Click on bottom right of pictures to see full size. Hope it helps.

Old thread but useful comments - just one point, when you remove the old filter what stops it leaking fuel all over the place? I wouldnt imagine you could just crimp the pipe?

...But be carefull when/if your working in poor conditions with not much light,no room,no jack etc,etc,if you position the fuel filter too far back in it's supporting cradle you can pinch the fuel feed hose as it bends because the black feed line is clipped to the under body and sometimes won't compensate by moving so the hard nylon pipe kinks were it has the original curve just before the rubber pipe that connects to the fuel filter thus reducing the fuel feed to the filter.

Worth checking and not making the same mistake that idiot VEEDUBBED did...

Just pop your finger over the pipe when you pull it off the old one, and pop the new one straight on, done in seconds .

Yup, and it does eventually stop if you don't - you won't empty the whole tank... just the contents of the fuel lines.

"When the car is running have a look at the banjo bolts on the fuel filter to ensure that there is no sign of any leaks. If there are then turn off the engine, tighten the leaking bolt by ¼ of a turn and repeat the process until no leaks occur." Wiki

My car wont fire up, when i turn it on and fuel pump activates, petrol leaks from it, somehere.

Could this possibly be down to the banjo bolts then? And where do i find these bolts?

"When the car is running have a look at the banjo bolts on the fuel filter to ensure that there is no sign of any leaks. If there are then turn off the engine, tighten the leaking bolt by ¼ of a turn and repeat the process until no leaks occur." Wiki

My car wont fire up, when i turn it on and fuel pump activates, petrol leaks from it, somehere.

Could this possibly be down to the banjo bolts then? And where do i find these bolts?

The banjo bolts are the ones at each end of the filter and connect the filter to the fuel lines, they are hollow and have a hole through the side to allow fuel to flow throught them. They aren't that strong so be careful how tight you do them. You need to put the copper washers each side of the banjo union,

ie bolt,

washer,

fuel pipe,

washer,

filter.

They sound like the culprit TBH.