Sign in to follow this  
Trig

trig's 94 OBD2 VR6 - New Wheels!!!! (...finally)

Going to go out in a bit and do the other door (only done drivers one so far), i'll take a pic once i've done it.

I got 5 sheets of skinz from Audioscape for £40. Easily enough to do 2 doors.

YEh it is for sound purposes, wasn't going to buy it but I was talked round...

You don't need the membrane if you use the skinz because you cover up all the holes. I trimmed the membrane bit that goes behind the speaker (need that hole) and refitted it. Pictures coming soon...

Oh and it was actually 6 sheets I got.

Just a thought - if you need to do some work on the windows how ill you get to the mechanism without chopping everything up again? I've used some self adhesive roofing felt (aluminium coated) on the door skin on one side (so far) so it still allows access to the door components. Only one layer though.

Good point. I'll just have to pull up/chop out the bottom 3 pieces as it's about the only reasonable access to the inside of the door anyway. Until that day at least I have the whole door done!

Cant remember what they are like behind , but would it not be possible to cover the inside of the door cards? I know it may be quite fiddly but it was just a thought. Is the stuff you used for the doors like Dynamat, or thinner?

I don't know what they are like behind. Would be fiddly and you'd be doing well to cover all the gaps...

Stuff I used is about 5mm thick, dunno how thick dynamat is. This stuff is nice and easy to use, very maluable.

Let us know if you achieve a noticeable difference in road noise ?

Thinking of doing this sort of thing soon , but the mats seem rather expensive if you want to do quite a lot of areas!

Thanks DaveStorm, really appreciate it!

Am still after 288's and had seen them, really can't afford them this month though, need to pay off the OBD2 still!

VRTrickster, Yeh they aren't that cheap. 6 sheets was more than enough to do the 2 front doors, I have 1 left over. I reckon another 10+ to do the other popular areas of the car - rear door cards, under rear seats, boot etc. But the more you buy from Audioscape the better the discount.

Now completed my 200 (199.2 to be exact) miles MPG test. Reset the number 2 computer on the MFA when I filled up the first time and over the course of the 200 miles it has displayed an average 35.0MPG, well above a normal VR6 I think you'll agree. I have peaked it at 40MPG but because i've done quite a few short trips recently and a fair bit of overtaking (;))the average has dropped.

When filling up the car took 29litres of fuel which = 6.37gallons. Meaning that in real terms I got 31.4MPG over the 200miles. So my MFA is overcalculating the MPG by 11.5 percent over his short distance).

So in conclusion, i'm still getting a damn good MPG for a VR6 IMO, over 400 miles for a full tank of fuel, but not as good as the MFA is displaying. I'm perfectly happy with over 30MPG on average and it must be down to the OBD2 management, I would be interested to know if any standard OBD1 VR owners have done similar tests on there cars to check the accuracy of their MFA's. Would be nice to know if the MFA numbers are out slightly on all VR's or whether it is something to do with the OBD2.

:D

That's very good. I rarely top 60mph these days in my 1.8 16v and get an average of 31mpg with a fair mix of driving conditions. K-Jet really is crap.

Ouch, 230 miles to a tank! :(

Needle was still wiggling just over 1/2 tank after my 200miles! :)

Excellent, 35mpg sounds about right for OBD2, that's 525 miles a tank ;-)

RE: the skinz, if you ever need to remove it, just heat it with a heat gun and it will peel off OK.

I bet your doors are nice and heavy when you open them now :-)

Good job on the hoodliner. The only thing that bugs me about that is it's supplied rolled up, so you get a wrinkled effect when attached to the bonnet, but it's good stuff tho and very hard wearing.

I'm not too sure 200 miles qualifies as a proper test to tbh. I do 200 miles in 2 days normally, mostly fast A roads. Keep up the tests Trigger, 200 miles is quite a small mileage to be calculating mileage on, I can do 70 miles on a new tank and average 32, but over the whole tank that drops do about 29.

The doors make a nice thud noise when closing now rather than the standard Corrado 'clang'! Agree with the hoodliner, the wrinkles are a bit of a shame, I tried to flatten them out but it wasn't having any of it. :)

andy, I see your point but this test lasted almost 2 weeks and 10+ different trips along Cornish B roads. Have you verified your MPG readings with the petrol tank?

Gotta say, i'm not a fan of the bling hoodliner , but since the bonnet is the only part of your car I can find fault with you're not doing too badly :wink: :lol:

It sounds like your engine is pretty happy now anyway Trig, even if your MPG calculations aren't 100

So how much did it cost for this obd2 transplant?

And how many miles will you have to do to recoup the costs!