Sign in to follow this  
sampayne

Lowered on konis and cant use the standard jack

I have lowered my car on koni's and unfortunately got a flat tyre, i tried to jack up the car(standard jack), but the jack was not high enough!!! THe way i managed to get round this was to borrow another jack and jack up the suspension at the same time, im just glad it was a sunny day otherwise it would of been so much worse!!!

I thought something was up but the handling is fine....

So I took the car to TSR (where i bought the suspension) and they said its just the way it is, and i need to carry a trolley jack and jack from a point further under the car.....not the answer i wanted :( !!! I have had lowered cars before and NEVER had this problem before, does anyone else have this prob??

I only use a troley jack to lift my car up... and I haven't had a flat (touch wood) so haven't found out if the VW jack will lift it high enough... sounds like it could be a real pain in the a**e though :roll:

I always use the vw jack to start jackin then use a trolley jack (coz i dont fully trust the vw ones)

This is probably pretty common with lowered cars

I've got Koni TAs and 16" wheels with 205/45/16 tyres and the standard jack is easily tall enough.

Must be that extra inch that's doing it ;)

I also have to use the VW jack, get the car up a bit and then insert the trolley jack. Had to do it thisa way since i fitted 17" and FK Koni sus

Yeah my OE Bilstein Jack lifts the car with Konis/H&Rs on 17s OK too.

What car have you got? I suspect later VR6s with the tractor ride height had more travel in the jack?

Those "scissor" jacks always look a bit flimsy to me - certainly wouldn't trust one to hold the weight of my car for any length of time.

Carry a block of wood to put the jack on first. How much extra height do you need?

A nice piece of 6 by 2 would be pretty stable.

Gavin

I've got a little 2ton trolly jack which just about gets mine high enough to change a wheel, but i have to drive it onto a bit of wood before i can get the jack underneith. I doubt very much if the standard one would get it high enough and like others, i dont trust them very much, they look way too flimsy!

In the almost 13 years I've had my licence, I've averaged over 25K miles per year. I was also a delivery driver for one summer while at uni where I racked up a silly amount of milage, so I reckon I'm not far off half a million miles driven so far... :crazyeyes:

In all of that, I've only had 3 punctures and 2 of those weren't in my cars! I don't see the point in carrying a spare anymore so I just carry a can of tyre foam and my AA card with me... The space saver my car came with won't fit over the Brembo brakes anyway so I'd have to swap wheels in all directions if I ever got a flat front tyre so I just don't bother now...

When I do jack up my car, I ALWAYS use a trolley jack as I just don't trust scissor jacks... :|

i have to use the standard vw jack to lift the car enough to get the trolley jack underneath

Thats why I like the Halfords 2 tonne jobies...

I used to take mine with me to get tyre's changed on the Golf!