Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

Mine never looked like that. I cut that mounting lug off and used a rubberised P clamp to secure it elsewhere to the block.

I've got a MK4 Pas on mine which sits a bit low and worries me.

Kip do you have a pic of yours?

Yes here you are pal, not the best pic but all I have at the moment.

So I've just plugged my car into Vagcom for the first time in ages to try and fix an ABS fault and thought I'd check the engine codes whilst I was there. I had a fault pointing at the EVAP pump being open circuit. Did anyone else fit the pump? I must admit I don't recall seeing it on the wiring, but I could easily be wrong. I fitted the 24v EVAP solenoid, but not the pump- I didn't even know they existed until I just googled it!

It should be cleared if you fitted the relay? I believe throwing an evap fault will mean you're not getting long term adaption! My setup doesn't have that fault, I used a high wattage resistor as a dummy load.

You need to wire in a relay 100 for the sai code and a 330 ohm resistor for the evap code. You need both for the adaption to work.

Thanks for the reply guys, but I'm still a bit confused!!

So I have a my N80 EVAP soleniod wired in exactly the same as the Audi diagram- power from Fuel Pump Relay, switched earth to J220/64

I also have a resistor simulating the N112 Secondary Air inlet Valve - power from Fuel pump relay and switched earth to J220/44

I got rid of any SAI pump errors by fitting a resistor to simulate a load across the relay, I cant remember how many ohms it was as it was years ago, but I don't have any SAI fault codes. For reference the power feed to the resistor also comes from the fuel pump relay, with a switched earth to J220/46. I could replace the resistor with a relay but not sure this would gain anything?

The error I am getting is '17881 P1473 EVAP Leak Detection Pump: Open Circuit'. From googling it, I'm not sure if the UK cars even have EVAP leak detection pumps.. Has anyone else had this code?

Where are you guys putting the EVAP resistors?

Edited by KipVR

F*****G SWICT, really hope you're reading this!

Well after doing a few miles on the car and reading the codes again......

Address 01: Engine Labels: 022-906-032-BDB.lbl

Control Module Part Number: 022 906 032 CB HW: Bas isX 3

Component and/or Version: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1G 8088

Software Coding: 0000178

Work Shop Code: WSC 06314 000 00000

VCID: 4D9B77EDD4CA3F1

19 Faults Found:

28823 - No Communications with Airbag Control Module

U0151 - 008 -

28776 - No Communication with Cruise Control Module

U0104 - 008 -

28827 - No Communication with Instrument Cluster

U0155 - 008 - - MIL ON

18045 - Powertrain Data Bus

P1637 - 008 - Missing Message from Electric Load Controller

28798 - No Communications with Steering Angle Sender (G85)

U0126 - 008 -

28836 - No Communications with HVAC Control Module (J301)

U0164 - 008 -

28773 - No Communication with Transmission Control Module

U0101 - 008 - - MIL ON

28793 - No Communication with ABS Brake Control Module

U0121 - 008 - - MIL ON

17841 - Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299)

P1433 - 004 - Open Circuit - MIL ON

17840 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112)

P1432 - 004 - Open Circuit - MIL ON

18335 - Relay for Aux Coolant Pump (J496)

P1927 - 004 - Open Circuit - MIL ON

16440 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S2: Heating Circuit

P0056 - 004 - Malfunction / Open Circuit - MIL ON

16420 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: Heating Circuit

P0036 - 004 - Malfunction / Open Circuit - MIL ON

18080 - Coolant Fan Control 1

P1672 - 004 - Open or Short to Ground - MIL ON

16525 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2; Heating Circuit

P0141 - 004 - Malfunction - MIL ON

16545 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S2; Heating Circuit

P0161 - 004 - Malfunction - MIL ON

16885 - Vehicle Speed Sensor

P0501 - 004 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON

17925 - Power Supply Relay for ECU (J271 or J363)

P1517 - 004 - Electrical Malfunction - MIL ON

17069 - ECM Power Relay Control Circuit (J271)

P0685 - 004 - Open Circuit - Intermittent

Seems as well as botching the immo and fubaring the ECU, he didn't do much else he was supposed to do either!

Wow that's a long list. Looking at them you can understand the majority of the error codes, but that doesn't explain why mine has only 6 and yours has all those! Done by swict too.

It certainly is. I think swict had something to do with some wiring on my car but I am running DTA management and have to say everything was fine on mine after I got the local DTA agent to set it up right. Beforehand however it was running too rich up until when you would want it to be where of course it was running a little silly lean. Sorted now and I get mid 30's mpg not bad for an R32.

There's quite a few there that he told me I wouldn't have to worry about, rear lambdas being the main thing I'm ****ed off about!

I just bought another VR to cheer myself up lol

If you send your ECU to United Motorsports, They will do the correct programming for you for £100 posted back to you. Where are you Chris? If you're localish I could maybe help out?

I second that,

I've only got the 2.8 and that is a different beast to the 12v, I expect you'll have ear to ear grin everytime you drive it , once it's sorted.

Hang in ther, we know what you're going through

Corrados don't like transplants!!!

You'll enjoy it once it's done though Chris, keep plodding!

Definitely, goes much much better than a 12v. I don't drive like my arse is on fire normally but it has so much torque that you can drive it like a diesel.

I never bothered with resistors. I just left the relays and solenoids in place. Zero errors. Why bother with resistors? A small solenoid or relay doesn't exactly fill the engine bay and the ECU is seeing the expected load / signal :)

That big long list of faults is what you see when you put a deimmobilised ME7 into a conversion before it's had all the CAN accessories switched off. Nice work SWICT, as ever!

It definitely is worth the perseverance although I'm with Clumpy. My R32 conversion was also a lot better run from a standalone ECU. Better mpg & smoother power band. The problem with trying to put ME7 into a conversion is like trying to connect a Mac Pro up to a floppy disk, CD rom, DLT tape drive and a 15" VGA monitor. Yeah it's possible but the two environments are not happy bed partners. IMO, someone like QPENG should sell a plug & play standalone solution for R32s as well as 1.8Ts. That way the modern engine is properly harmonised to it's ancient host.

Anyway, as good as the R32 is in a decent conversion, I'm sorry boys, it's even better in it's intended host :) Loads more torque and it just feels better hooked up to 4WD and a dual mass flywheel. Mind you, that same feeling is possible in the Corrado I suppose. Hmmmm......

I've seen mention on the Vortex of a 2.8 block with R32 head, cams, standalone and what not that's making a lot of power. Way more than an R32. It wouldn't be a cheap path though!

Not sure what the AUE is capable of but it's a decent strong engine. You just can't get any tuning bits for it.

How advanced is the stand alone stuff these days Kev? It's a subject I've not really looked deeply into.

I'm sure you're a bit biased towards stand alone but is it worth all of the extra cost to the people who don't treat each journey as a voyage on a private test track?

For me I love the turn key reliability in all weather's and times of day or year that comes with oem mapping.

Very, but the good ones come at a cost!

I'm not biased at all. I had great results when all the OEM fan boys like United Motorsport and Vortexers said what I set out to achieve was impossible and a waste of money. They were completely wrong. I wanted the same traffic manners as OEM also and I achieved it by nothing more than careful tuning. In fact, mine drove better than factory in some scenarios as I wasn't restricted by the same governance that OEMs are :)

Standalones aren't for everyone, which is why I suggested someone like QPENG ought to investigate a P&P solution. I mean, everyone and I mean *EVERYONE* who has done a 24V conversion has run into problems. The hardware is a piece of cake, it just falls in, but like I say, persuading ME7 to run in a Corrado with 70% of it's limbs missing throws up big challenges.

Mine on DTA you wouldn't know it's not standard it's not hard to drive in town traffic unlike some oem which have been "staged" plus you can dial in loads more with standalone regarding everything which you can't with OEM.

Well I finally have a running 3.2! Now my attention has turned to the little bits... The tacho is not working, I've been told that apparently the ecu sends an analogue signal out but has no pin, so I've put the pin in, now kev tells me apparently it doesn't... Bugger! So I have a couple of options, either piggy back off the coil or get a canbus adapter. Now thinking about the canbus adapter I might be able to use the oil temp sensor from sump and get the tacho working.

Anyone got any advise on what canbus adapter is suitable?

Wow taken me a week to read through this and ended up signing up

As there is good folk are on here with plenty of patience and very informative

But I can't find if anyone has used the obd2 ecu from the golf mk3 vr6 with a 24v 2.8 swap?

Yes the vvt and inlet flaps will be lost but has anyone here done it?

Thank you Zak

To dismiss the loss of the inlet flaps is to dismiss the best part of the 24v engine, the inlet tuning gives torque throughout the rev range,

Why are thinking of using OBD2