Sign in to follow this  
TMT McCoy

TMT McCoy's 'Coupe...More of the usual page 10 :smile:

Sorry about the lack of updates lately. Been really busy at my job and working on the 'coupe. Last weekend I pulled the entire drivetrain from it to tidy up the bay a bit more. I'm gonna have the hole on the passenger side frame rail where the fuel lines feed through welded shut, shaving the stud off the passenger side strut tower for the fuel line clip and chroming any pieces of hardware that I forgot about when the car was initially being put together. After that I have some more interior & exterior detail work to finish up. I'm headed over to the chromers this afternoon to check the progress of a few pieces. I'll get some pic's posted over the weekend if he has anything ready to be picked up! :)

Guys take a look at these two pic's and let me know what you think. The first pic is an actual pic of how the car sat as of last year. The second pic is a photoshop image of how the car is gonna look this season! In the second pic you can see the reduction in ride height I was able to obtain with the 195/40's & the thinner adapters I sourced out as well as the chrome bumper trim, window trim & custom chrome boot plinth.

looks perfect to me. Make sure you get pics of the chrome up, never tire of looking at chromed bits :lol:

Make sure you get pics of the chrome up, never tire of looking at chromed bits :lol:

I hear 'ya I haven't been to good at documenting everything that I've done or am doing. :oops: :)

think i prefer the lower pic looks cool with the tyres tucked in the arches ,very nice car you must be very proud?

think i prefer the lower pic looks cool with the tyres tucked in the arches ,very nice car you must be very proud?

I'm proud but am very overlycritical of my work at times. Yeah I really like the lower stance with the tires tucked up in the wheel wells. That was the look I was originally going for.

I'm proud but am very overlycritical of my work at times. Yeah I really like the lower stance with the tires tucked up in the wheel wells. That was the look I was originally going for.

is there actually anyone who hasn't liked it though ,seems near perfect to me but is there anyone who just doesn't appreciate it ?,

is there actually anyone who hasn't liked it though ,seems near perfect to me but is there anyone who just doesn't appreciate it ?,

This is the only forum I've posted my car on with the exception of the E38 forums that I haven't gotten a ton of hate. I guess some people just can't respect the effort & tlc that's gone into this car. A close friend was telling me just the other day to just enjoy the car and don't worry about the people who put it down because obviously you can't please everyone!

Sorry about the lack of updates this weekend. I passed by my metal refinisher when I got done with work on friday and the pieces I were suppose to pick up weren't done yet. He said to come back in another week! :p

This is the only forum I've posted my car on with the exception of the E38 forums that I haven't gotten a ton of hate. I guess some people just can't respect the effort & tlc that's gone into this car. A close friend was telling me just the other day to just enjoy the car and don't worry about the people who put it down because obviously you can't please everyone!

I'd agree, don't worry about it. I've got alot of stick for my car, seems silly now that people are that bothered about what someone else chooses to do to their car. Took it hard at first because i wasn't expecting it, but when you step back and think about it doesn't matter because you do it for yourself. My car is actually held in much higher regard in the US than UK mainly because they have a much greater understanding of building showcars. People in the UK show scene will openly slate a car they are competeing against if its better than theirs. Number of times i've listened to someone pulling someone elses car apart, then had a look at theirs and thought aarrh, they know they've lost and trying to convince themselves otherwise.

You know that i rate your car as the greatest VW showcar built so far, mainly because i'd like to get mine up to a similar standard and its and unbelievable amount of work. Fact is, you forget the comments when you look at your latest batch of chromed parts to be fitted and realise why to love it. :lol:

I'd agree, don't worry about it. I've got alot of stick for my car, seems silly now that people are that bothered about what someone else chooses to do to their car. Took it hard at first because i wasn't expecting it, but when you step back and think about it doesn't matter because you do it for yourself. My car is actually held in much higher regard in the US than UK mainly because they have a much greater understanding of building showcars. People in the UK show scene will openly slate a car they are competeing against if its better than theirs. Number of times i've listened to someone pulling someone elses car apart, then had a look at theirs and thought aarrh, they know they've lost and trying to convince themselves otherwise.

You know that i rate your car as the greatest VW showcar built so far, mainly because i'd like to get mine up to a similar standard and its and unbelievable amount of work. Fact is, you forget the comments when you look at your latest batch of chromed parts to be fitted and realise why to love it. :lol:[/quote:2a5e2]

it is very easy to get dragged in though ,when people are bangng on about only fitting the very best parts and only taking it to the very best paintshops/trimmers ,its easy to feel like your cars not good enough ,especially when you do whatever part yourself ,

i polished an inlet manifold when i first got the c which was a bitch and to look at your and lees shows an amazing amount of time and effort put in ,which is why im so impressed with them both ,really wish i could see this car in the flesh ,lee's looks amazing ,pics dont do it justice ,maybe one day ill get to go to a us show and check it out

You know that i rate your car as the greatest VW showcar built so far, mainly because i'd like to get mine up to a similar standard and its and unbelievable amount of work. Fact is, you forget the comments when you look at your latest batch of chromed parts to be fitted and realise why to love it. :lol:[/quote:ad468]

I fell into the same trap, Lee. Took the criticism's and tongue lashings really hard at first because I wasn't expecting it at all. Especially from some of the people who were handing it out. Over here in the states, guys won't openly disrespect the car in person at an event. They generally reserve the criticism's & trash talking for the internet forums behind the safety of there computer screens...lol!

What I find funny is that both our cars have similar mods ( same exterior color, same interior color & tons of chrome detailing ), you get alot of respect and praise over here in the States and stick from the UK and for me it's vice versa. It seems as though my 'coupe gets a lot more love from you guys...lol! But what can you do? It comes a time when you have to forget about what everyone else is saying and just push on to mod and enjoy the car for yourself.

keep saying this to folk - people are quick to judge and slate others in forums - noonse else pays anything towards your car so don't waste time getting knocked back by negative opinions.

Pure class, I absoloutly love it! Top quality workmanship, the car looks outstanding!

Could use some mirrors tho!

Keep up the good work buddy, you have created one of my fav VW's of the moment!

moving back on topic, how've you detailed the steering rack?

The manual steering rack I'm using is chrome plated along with the U-shaped steering rack brackets fitted with red polyurethane steering rack bushings.

Paid a visit to my metal refinisher today. Don't have much to show for the visit. He was in the process of finishing off the last lot of parts that I dropped off with him a few weeks ago. I was only able to pick up these two pieces today.

I brought a supersprint header a couple of months ago with intentions of chrome plating it. My metal guy informed me that it wasn't to good of an idea to chrome plate stainless steel ( for whatever reason ) so that idea went out the window. I would have just kept the header mirror polished but I don't like the look of it once it goes through it's heat cycle. So I decided to go with a silver powder coat which he tells me is good for up to 650 degrees. The lower rad support I had gold plated. :D

I should be picking up the rest of my goodies from him this weekend which will finally allow me & my buds to put this car back together. I'll be sure to keep you fella's updated!

Paid a visit to my metal refinisher today. Don't have much to show for the visit. He was in the process of finishing off the last lot of parts that I dropped off with him a few weeks ago. I was only able to pick up these two pieces today.

I brought a supersprint header a couple of months ago with intentions of chrome plating it. My metal guy informed me that it wasn't to good of an idea to chrome plate stainless steel ( for whatever reason ) so that idea went out the window. I would have just kept the header mirror polished but I don't like the look of it once it goes through it's heat cycle. So I decided to go with a silver powder coat which he tells me is good for up to 650 degrees. The lower rad support I had gold plated. :D

I should be picking up the rest of my goodies from him this weekend which will finally allow me & my buds to put this car back together. I'll be sure to keep you fella's updated!

liking the rad support, its gold plate scarily expensive?. Really looking forward to seeing the car in print!!!

The rad support looks pretty good but I reckon it'd be easy to make a car look tacky with too much gold plating. Do you have plans to plate much of the car in gold?

liking the rad support, its gold plate scarily expensive?. Really looking forward to seeing the car in print!!![/quote:baa5a]

If you can manage to have the parts chrome plated before you drop it off with the gold plater then the pricing is reasonable. Not much more money involved than having a piece chrome plated.

I'm working on it, Lee! :lol:

The rad support looks pretty good but I reckon it'd be easy to make a car look tacky with too much gold plating. Do you have plans to plate much of the car in gold?

You're right. The lower rad support when installed gets sandwiched in between the bottom of the radiator and the top of the front lower subframe, both of which are chrome plated. I figured that I would do the lower radiator support in gold just to break up the monotony of the chrome a little bit. Once installed you can only see a slither of it anyways. I think it'll be a nice little accent amongst the sea of chrome without going overboard and being tacky! Other than the gearbox hardware & shifter weight, I have no plans on gold plating anything else.

Thanks for the kind words fella's! :D

I got a delivery from FeDex today. They dropped off the last remaining new old stock, Bonrath Superdeep Duckbill spoiler that's available in north america. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's approximately 2 - 3 inches deeper than the european mk1 duckbill spoiler I currently have mounted to the car. The piece is constructed of fiberglass and has a gloss black finish to it. I'm tossing around the idea of having both sides molded together into one piece & possibly finishing the surface off in a low gloss satin black paint to match the non-painted grille & trim in the lower front valence?!?!