Sign in to follow this  
TMT McCoy

TMT McCoy's 'Coupe...More of the usual page 10 :smile:

Thanx for all of the support guys! :wink:

Boy, what a difference tires make! I guess tires are one of those things that aren't created equally. Was finally able to scrap the "chunky" Federal SS 595 205/40-16's the car wore last year and replaced them with a set of Continental ContiSportContact 2's in the 195/40-16 variety.

With the -camber that I had previously dialed into the car I was able to lower it an additional 3.75 inches from where it used to sit. The end result is the tires stretching pretty nicely, the tires tucking 2-3cm's into the arches at all four corners and a much lower ride height! :D

P.S. Please forgive me for the crappy photography & bodyshop dust...

Your side exit exhaust must be scrapping the floor now!

Ben, there must be approximately three to four inches of ground clearance from the bottom of my side exit to the ground... :lol:

Show us a picture of the whole car. So we can see its new stance.

I reckon it going to be SWEEEEEET! :lol: :lol:

I'll try and get some full side profile shots posted next week so you can see the full effect of the new stance. The pic's I snapped earlier on in the week came out a bit to dark. :oops:

praise tnt this is one spotlessly clean beautiful car i dont think you can make it better! i bet she goes like stink too! i be ashamed to park next to yours! good luck for the future Andy

You got a mention in PVW this month in the talk the talk section. Steve Sweetland said you ride is inspirational. Got to agree, personally think your building the greatest ever VW Showcar. Your years ahead!!

Thanks alot, Lee. It feels great to be publicly acknowledged by my peers who I respect and hold in very high regard. I was blown away when I got the news a couple of days ago. Thanks for all of the support! :D

I stopped by my chromer today after work and picked up my new adapters. Currently I have 25f & 20r millimeter adapters on the car and I figured if I wanted to go any lower than I am now I was gonna have to switch to some thinner adapters for the tires to clear the arches. So, I picked up a set of 20f & 15r millimeter units which I dropped off a few days ago to have mirror polished & then triple chrome plated. I'll have some pic's of them test fitted to the car sitting a little lower with the RS's on in a few days. Here are the results! :mad:

Between you and Lee is anything safe from the chromer's tank?!

Lookin' good :)

* EDIT *

Are two of those adapters four-to-five stud?

Between you and Lee is anything safe from the chromer's tank?!

Lookin' good :)

* EDIT *

Are two of those adapters four-to-five stud?

Thanks mate!

They're a combination of 4x100 to 5x130 & 5x112 to 5x130. On the rear of the car I used a lower offset audi rotor assembly which allowed me to bring the rear RS's a couple of millimeters inward.

Nothing is safe from the tank. If it's any sort of metal it must be refinished...lol! :lol:

I stopped by my chromer today after work and picked up my new adapters. Currently I have 25f & 20r millimeter adapters on the car and I figured if I wanted to go any lower than I am now I was gonna have to switch to some thinner adapters for the tires to clear the arches. So, I picked up a set of 20f & 15r millimeter units which I dropped off a few days ago to have mirror polished & then triple chrome plated. I'll have some pic's of them test fitted to the car sitting a little lower with the RS's on in a few days. Here are the results! :mad:

good call, must get mine done... :lol:

btw, you love what i'm doing with my rear beam. Post pics later tonight.

btw, you love what i'm doing with my rear beam. Post pics later tonight.[/quote:f4706]

Let me guess...knowing you I think you probably have boxed in the open section of the rear beam before sending it off to chrome?!?! :wink:

btw, you love what i'm doing with my rear beam. Post pics later tonight.[/quote:b1573]

Let me guess...knowing you I think you probably have boxed in the open section of the rear beam before sending it off to chrome?!?! :wink:[/quote:b1573]

Was thinking about that today too, boxing in the whole of the rear but not sure if it would make the rear of the car rock solid and mega harsh!! And boxing the two holes at the rear. :lol:

So you drive this car around with no hood?

I saw what can only be described as a drag car driving around the streets of Victoria, Canada last summer...huuuuuaaaggeee rear tyres, wheelie bar, the works. It had no bonnet either and an enormous supercharger strapped to the V8. I remember thinking how you'd be out in the UK in something similar for all of ten seconds before you got arrested!

btw, you love what i'm doing with my rear beam. Post pics later tonight.[/quote:a5efb]

Let me guess...knowing you I think you probably have boxed in the open section of the rear beam before sending it off to chrome?!?! :wink:[/quote:a5efb]

Was thinking about that today too, boxing in the whole of the rear but not sure if it would make the rear of the car rock solid and mega harsh!! And boxing the two holes at the rear. :lol:[/quote:a5efb]

I just read what, Andy had to say about boxed rear beams over in your thread. I may have to rethink this one! :lol:

So you drive this car around with no hood?

I saw what can only be described as a drag car driving around the streets of Victoria, Canada last summer...huuuuuaaaggeee rear tyres, wheelie bar, the works. It had no bonnet either and an enormous supercharger strapped to the V8. I remember thinking how you'd be out in the UK in something similar for all of ten seconds before you got arrested!

When the weather permits I drive it around without the hood and so far have been fortunate enough to not a have run in with the police. But for the most part the hood stays attached. There are some pic's of the car fitted with the hood back on the first page.

btw, you love what i'm doing with my rear beam. Post pics later tonight.[/quote:7eae7]

Let me guess...knowing you I think you probably have boxed in the open section of the rear beam before sending it off to chrome?!?! :wink:[/quote:7eae7]

Was thinking about that today too, boxing in the whole of the rear but not sure if it would make the rear of the car rock solid and mega harsh!! And boxing the two holes at the rear. :lol:[/quote:7eae7]

I just read what, Andy had to say about boxed rear beams over in your thread. I may have to rethink this one! :lol:[/quote:7eae7]

maybe you just box with with 1mm thick plate? Hmmm, its a good idea, worth more thought.

There are some pic's of the car fitted with the hood back on the first page.

I can see why you'd want to leave the hood off. It looks mental that way! It'd certainly turn my head if I saw it in the street.

It'd be a good way to see if your engine mounts need attention too :)

Sorry about the lack of updates lately. Been really busy at my job and working on the 'coupe. Last weekend I pulled the entire drivetrain from it to tidy up the bay a bit more. I'm gonna have the hole on the passenger side frame rail where the fuel lines feed through welded shut, shaving the stud off the passenger side strut tower for the fuel line clip and chroming any pieces of hardware that I forgot about when the car was initially being put together. After that I have some more interior & exterior detail work to finish up. I'm headed over to the chromers this afternoon to check the progress of a few pieces. I'll get some pic's posted over the weekend if he has anything ready to be picked up! :)

Guys take a look at these two pic's and let me know what you think. The first pic is an actual pic of how the car sat as of last year. The second pic is a photoshop image of how the car is gonna look this season! In the second pic you can see the reduction in ride height I was able to obtain with the 195/40's & the thinner adapters I sourced out as well as the chrome bumper trim, window trim & custom chrome boot plinth.