Sign in to follow this  
fleur322

hot oil !!

Not sure if anyone could give me a few ideas of what I could look at to mend my poorly corrado. I've got a '93' vr6 and today when driving home on the motorway had a hot oil temp. The dash was reading up to 160. The coolant wasn't very hot running at about 90-110. Just don't understand.

Any help on what to look at first would be good.

Lindsay

chill out had that on my valver before,think its the highest it will actually read.

had a cooling problem on mine so engine was just cooking itself basically.

I don't think i'd be chilling if my oil temp hit 160 deg! .. i'd have baked a brown tatty for tea in my pants there and then I think! :lol: when I saw 122deg I felt slightly un-nerved in my g60.

Maybe your oil cooler isn't quite right fleur322, what sort of speeds/revs were you driving at when you saw 160deg?

Yeah, given the normal high temp for road use is about 120 max, 160 is very worrying!!

Yeah, that does sound a little high! VW say to pull over if your oil temp reaches 140...

I'd say get your heat exchanger (oil cooler) replaced, possibly the thermostat too, and have a full coolant flush and refill just for the hell of it... Worked on my Passat, dropped the oil temps by over 20deg...

Was on the motorway just made it home didn't drive far. Have replaced the thermostat only couple of months ago and been serviced at vw so had coolant flush.

Is the heat exchanger a big jub to get off. What about a blockage in the oil system?.

Could it be the sensor where is it?.

I have been having a problem with the fan not coming in could it be wiring. Anything I could check.

Thaks for any help as my lovely car is just sat on my drive.

Well I'm guessing the coolant can't get much hotter than 110 degrees....

I'd say if the oil is hitting more than 160, you need more than an oil cooler..

Edit: If you're doing a reasonable speed on the motorway, that should be enough to cool the engine/radiator quite a bit...

If the fan's not coming in then it's most likely the thermoswitch in the rad - you can bridge across the pins in the connector to check if it's working. Even though I have a VR, I don't know where the heat exchanger is yet :oops: someone who does will be along soon...! It's not a major job to replace it, but the coolant does have to be drained...

Even though I have a VR, I don't know where the heat exchanger is yet :oops: someone who does will be along soon...! It's not a major job to replace it, but the coolant does have to be drained...

The heat exchanger (aka oil cooler) is the big silvery thing just to the right of the oil filter housing when looking down from the front. It has 2 small-bore black hoses connected at the top. They have a tendancy to rust inside if G11/G12 hasn't been used & changed regularly.

Failure looks like the head gasket's blown as you get oil in your water & vice-versa. Bl**dy awful job to clean out the resultant mess!! I speak from experience :(

u need a mocal oil cooler ASAP

I think he needs to fix a more serious problem with engine cooling before he starts buying addons! :)

I've had a look at the colour of the coolant it looks normal, no difference in colour. Got full history so always been changed with the correct stuff. My car hasn't got mega miles on it either. Do you think it's worth trying the sensors first. Could there be a blockage in the oil system. Which manual would you suggest for helping me work on it.

Oh I'm not a fella thanks Jim

I've had a look at the colour of the coolant it looks normal, no difference in colour. Got full history so always been changed with the correct stuff. My car hasn't got mega miles on it either. Do you think it's worth trying the sensors first. Could there be a blockage in the oil system. Which manual would you suggest for helping me work on it.

Oh I'm not a fella thanks Jim

check the earth strap to the head, if that's dodgy you can get high oil temp readings.

David.

If the oil has been up to 160 C then you really should replace it as it loses it starts to break down once you've had it that hot.

It's also worth checking the oil temp sensor itself to make sure it's not just lying :)

In my limited knowledge I can't see how it could be a sensor? Sounds like a blockage or the pump's dead. Is there any contamination of the coolant?

...and it I can't believe no ones noticed she's a she!!! Normally speaking this thread would have well over 100 replies by now :wink:

Dutch

I've had a look at the colour of the coolant it looks normal

...sorry, didn't read that bit :oops:

Could just be a dead oil temp sensor?

It could be the timing, but on a VR I doubt it's out unless your chains have slipped, which I think you'd know about?

Have you VAG-COM'd it?

Dutch

Thankyou very much for all those that posted help for me. The problem has been sorced and now fixed. My oil was never at such a high temperature I had a dodgy fan earth. (The one that runs under the battery)

Now repaired I now have my lovely little Vr back in action.

Thankyou :lol: :lol: