Sign in to follow this  
24V Renshaw

Steering rack issues solutions and swaps....

Well the new SEAT rack has arrived and its absolutely identical to the VR6 one. It has the same splines and the same pipe unions.

I have yet to compare the lock but I have a feeling that will be indentical too.

So at somepoint after Ultimate Dubs I will fit it and give the results.

Jay

Yes and No....

I think Phat has a good point about the angle of the tie rods. I've got cheap arse GSF ones in mine at the moment.....I might shove some dealer ones in and see if that helkps.....not nice at £75 each tho.

It will physically fit, but the number of splines may be different (you may have 36 as opposed to 22 on the later racks), but you can get hold of the corresponding part from quite a few other donor cars.

Did anyone replace the ARB drop links? Are the bushes for the links available separately?

Yep, Mine has brand new ARB drop links.

Jay

My drop links are original but they have brand new bushes.

Just a thought, has anyone considered the knock when reversing out of driveways etc could be the anti role bar sticking in it's bushes between the subfame and body, and then losing grip and rotating within the bush slightly. I always feel the knock comes from that area.

My ARB mounts are all poly, but I'm sure it could happen with oem ones too.

Yes, that was going to be my next query. Has anyone looked at the area where the ARB mounts to the subframe..?

I think its worth investigating, a small amount of lubricant which does not attack the rubber may be worth a go. I am convinced that it is something like this or possibly as dr_mat suggests, slight movement of the subframe.

It will physically fit, but the number of splines may be different (you may have 36 as opposed to 22 on the later racks), but you can get hold of the corresponding part from quite a few other donor cars.

As Geo said, a toledo UJ will do the job apparently, if you can't get hold of a later style 22 spline Corrado one, toledo's can be newer too, up to the mk4 golf based ones I guess, 1997?. I've found a 1995 50,000 mile Ibiza rack, but I'm still looking for a 2001 donor car ideally.

David.

Look for a brand new one. I only paid £75 for mine and I know its completely new, rather than one with x miles on it.

Jay

Think, i'll be buying one too!!

Yeah but you got it off ebay ... chances of stumbling on another one at that price are pretty slim!

Even with employee discount from ZF you're looking at £300 for a brand new rack.

My problem has now been diagnosed.....the knocking was being caused by the rack being loose. The holes on the rack that the bolts go through have enlarged and so the fit is not perfect hense the slipping. Tightening up the bolts has fixed it temporarily but i will def be sticking my new rack in once it gets a bit warmer outside!

Annoyingly my steering rack doesn't have any power assistance when it's cold, but the steering is (at least) clonk-free.

My problem has now been diagnosed.....the knocking was being caused by the rack being loose. The holes on the rack that the bolts go through have enlarged and so the fit is not perfect hense the slipping. Tightening up the bolts has fixed it temporarily but i will def be sticking my new rack in once it gets a bit warmer outside!

That's interesting. That did cross my mind but I outruled it as I put new bolts in mine, which are knurled on the shafts to bite into the subframe and take up any slack. I'll try tightening the nuts though, or maybe find some small stainless sleeves to poke into the rack holes..... good shout ;-)

That would definately make sense. I did the same as you Kev and tightened them, but it must have been loose for the holes to elongate?

Still my brand new rack should have no problem :)

It would also explain why rebuilt racks do the same thing as they would not redo the holes.....

Jay

mmmmm?

I did fit new poly bush, but that is only one end of the rack, the other end is bolted solid, which I never really understood!

jay

Yeah only the MK1 had a bush at each end. MK2s on use one clamp, and yeah mine is a poly one, but with the bigger MK2 clamp and bush. The standard VR clamp is a spindley little thing. I think the idea behind a single clamp is to allow for subframe flex. If the rack was rigidly bolted at both ends, you'd probably get steering wheel snatching problems. On that score I might drop the rubber bush back in as it's only since using a poly bush on the new rack that I've noticed this clunking issue!

Yeah only the MK1 had a bush at each end. MK2s on use one clamp, and yeah mine is a poly one, but with the bigger MK2 clamp and bush. The standard VR clamp is a spindley little thing. I think the idea behind a single clamp is to allow for subframe flex. If the rack was rigidly bolted at both ends, you'd probably get steering wheel snatching problems. On that score I might drop the rubber bush back in as it's only since using a poly bush on the new rack that I've noticed this clunking issue!

No chance of my subframe flexing!! :lol: So the problem is will the four bolts which go through the subframe?