Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Mocal Oil Cooler Piccys

Got it fitted on Weds and have done enough miles in it to know that it makes a big difference to oil temps.

Reached a max of 102c in stationary traffic (use to be 114c max).

On the move it v rarely gets above 90c. Remember this is a VR6!

It had to be placed there because the aircon condesor is infront of the radiator where you would normally put it. Very impressed with the results. Thinking of getting a switch controlled fan put on for the summer! 8)

Glad someone with aircon has posted up pics of their install. My mocal is still sitting in its box 8 months on as I couldnt work out a decent enough place to site it. Do you have any more shots of the pipework ardandy, ?

Will try to (poss tom).

One thing I can tell you! My mechanic said he's never going to fit one of those again on that car cause it was a nightmare! Took him about 4 hours. G-Werks reckon on 3 hours labour but thats without the a/c in the way.

mocals that good then?

i changed my cooler for a standard one and instantly my car was running at cooler more reasonable temps.

Although i did put a new engine in it to.

ardandy, you got any more pics of your mocal install? I measured mine up last night and your location looks VERY tight. How is it mounted? I was thinking about that void in front of the alternator. If anyone else has one installed pic would be useful - i have aircon which doesnt help with space.

Cheers

I've got a few pics of my ole Nugget having one fitted, but it's a G60 so not sure if that helps :oops:

ive got the exact same on in the same place as ardandy's on my g60, does a very good job especially now its running all this extra power!!

CorradoVR6-n.o.s, nice one. Looks about right for me as it also allows the engine fans to blow across it. Did you take the front end off to fit the sandwich plate - i'm looking at short cuts at the monent. Right now it looks like a bumper, slam panel and that-bit -that-goes-across-the-front-of-the-engine-bay which also holds the bonnet stay removal. The advantage of that is you can give the front of the engine and compoents a good ol' clean. Is there a shorter way btw? Walesy, thanks for the pics.

How does the Mocal connect to the engine btw?

I can't see how it connects to the oil filter, or does it go somewhere else? If so how do you block up the oil filter cooler connection?

Dutch

You get a special sandwich plate that sits underneath the OE water/oil heat exchanger. The idea being the factory oil warming method is retained, and once 80 degrees is seen in the mocal sandwich plate, it sends the oil through the remote radiator and back into the engine.

So the original heat exchanger is still retained?

That's the part that is in the way of my 24v front mount bracket though and I was planning on dumping it, but from what your saying that's not possible then?

Dutch

CorradoVR6-n.o.s, nice one. Looks about right for me as it also allows the engine fans to blow across it. Did you take the front end off to fit the sandwich plate - i'm looking at short cuts at the monent. Right now it looks like a bumper, slam panel and that-bit -that-goes-across-the-front-of-the-engine-bay which also holds the bonnet stay removal. The advantage of that is you can give the front of the engine and compoents a good ol' clean. Is there a shorter way btw? Walesy, thanks for the pics.

Exactly where i've mounted mine, with some custom brackets courtesy of the old man! Will post pics when i get the chance. My hoses don't go under the rad though. Drilled 2 generous size holes in the plastic bit to the right (drivers side) of the rad, and took them through there.

Fla, you don't have to remove the front end, but it makes it a damn sight easier!

Steve

My bolt-like fixing wasn't long enough to retain the original oil cooler so i had to bypass it by joining the water pipes.

My cooler is in the same location as CorradoVR6-n.o.s but a little lower and fixed to the crossmember as i didn't want it connected to the slam panel.

I believe that both options are fesible -of removing or retaining the original HX. If yuo keep it in, then you need some expensive bits to go with the regular kit. If you remove it its apparently not as good. Mind you, i cant see it being any worse, especially as you have a 80C thermo sandwich plate, so the mocal only comes into circuit after 80C anyway. Darren (G-Werks) is very helpful here and its a good idea to get a kit from him if you want one.

Steve Gooding, .Rich., CorradoVR6-n.o.s, which of you has aircon? How did you find the install without removing the two radiators (water and aircon)?

Steve Gooding, .Rich., CorradoVR6-n.o.s, which of you has aircon? How did you find the install without removing the two radiators (water and aircon)?

I don't have aircon, and fitted mine whilst the front end was off, including the radiator, so it was really easy to get at the front of the block

I don't have air con and the only thing i removed was bumper and removed the front engine cradle and lowered the engine down to gain access to the OEM heat exchanger.

I'm very picky on where and how i mount things,it looks just right where it is.Very OEM !

Couple of Pic's of my install... fitted to same place as CorradoVR6-n.o.s after seeing his (thanks for the help)... i did however remove the slam panel and rediator... found it much easier this way and removal only took 15 minutes.

A good place for the cooler if you've got AC is down in the nearside wing where the G60 intercooler would normally live. It's where Stealth put it. You could even use the G60 IC's plastic funnel to direct air over it.

Dixxy your brackets mirror mine !,besides the top right which is not needed.I have put on rubber bobbin mounts to stop fracturing

I know used your pic's from the group buy to help me out... cheers for the help. I think i used thinner steal than you so i though best to put in the top mount.

I'd advise anyone with a vr6 to get a cooler... i've been so impressed with mine!!