Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Lupo wiper issues

Yeah, yeah, not those again I hear you cry!

But this is different. This is about the fact they seem to judder on my screen after about a month's use. A lot of you get on with them but for me they don't last for schitt and my dealer says they get numerous complaints about them lasting a piddly amount of time.

Soooo....I did a bit of fiddling about and those that said it's the screen itself are exactly right. It seems the new screen I had fitted a year or so ago is not as flat as the OE one. So this causes the passenger side blade to not sit flush on the screen on the last inch or so of the blade, and as it starts wiping, it repositions itself mid stroke and judders.

I've had the entire wiper mechanism rebuilt, so it's not that.

The solution is to use a MK4 passenger side blade and *not* a Lupo one if your blade is not tight against the screen on the pass side. It's a little further inboard. OR, you can use regular blades on the lupo arms. All you need to do is drill the smaller of the two holes in the metal blade out to 5mm and on they go. The metal blades are more flexible believe it or not and hug the glass better.

Also, if you look at the way the arm aligns with the screen, you'll notice it's not quite parallel, so bend the arm with pliers until it is (good shout Supercharged!).

So there it is. This is just for folk that suffer premature juddering, LOL!

I'm sticking with the old style blades as they're perfect. The lupo arms provide the necessary pressure.

And does anyone else notice that at 100mph or higher, the wipers are soooo slow, they almost stop dead mid stroke? Cr@p! I need to look at modifying the whole motor/mech assembly with something better off a different car. Watch this space....

Mine slow down a lot when going reall fast, once they stopped all together and refused to start until I slowed down! Bit dangerous at high speeds in heavy rain!

Exactly! Why did VW fit such schitt wipers to a 145mph car? Even the MK3 Golf VR's wipers stay consistent at high speed.

Anyway, I've been studying Merc's eccentric single wiper and it's doable on the rado....but will look huge! I'm not slowing down, I need better wipers, I love driving in heavy rain, I'm a real Schumacher :-)

You want some veyron wipers, the wiper motor has nearly the same torque as an entry model Daewoo Matiz!!! :shock: Read that in What car or something the other month!

The Phaeton and Bentley GT wipers physically lift themselves off the screen and back down again everytime you turn the engine off to 'reset' the wiper blades to equalise the wear on both sides of blade!!! Pretty sure the Veyron has similar technology on it. I bet that has a chunky loom and ECU all of it's own! Awesome.

Seriously though, need to do something about these wipers. I wonder if MK4 ones fit? They're perfectly consistent at all speeds.

Even the MK3 Golf VR's wipers stay consistent at high speed.

Recon you should try the MK3 ones, chances are they'd fit.

Wasn't Nick saying something about Ford Focus wipers a while back?

The Veyron ones probably have their own radiator and oil cooler as well!

And does anyone else notice that at 100mph or higher, the wipers are soooo slow, they almost stop dead mid stroke?

possibly because VW didnt expect people to be doing 100mph in the wet! :D

my c..... has a single wiper conv, it works all the time even over 100mph, not that i do those sort of speeds you understend, phew, quick disclaimer there.

Well there's a VR6 under the bonnet... why not drive the wipers off that .. !? You could use the syncro gearbox rear-exit propshaft ...?

This is just one of those lovely little features of having a custom designed and custom built car. VW didn't want to spend the £100k getting the wipers working properly, so they gave the job to Helmut the YTS trainee and told him he had till yesterday afternoon to design the bits...

And I've noticed that replacement windscreens aren't the same shape, too. When mine was replaced last year I immediately noticed that it sat further from the dash at the bottom of the screen. Thought I was going mad for a while. (Turned out I already *was* mad, but that the windscreen really *was* a different shape anyway.)

Oh and my Lupo wipers are pants, too. But then they're two years old.

They were pants from six months of age though, and I hardly do 7000 miles/year.

I recently replaced my wiper mechanism due to a part of it snapping, and the wiper performance themselves has got so much better than is was pre-snap.

So maybe your mechs are wearing and not helping matters either..

(Apart from you, Kev.)

MK3 wipers are way too long 19 and 21"!!

I have 19" and 21" combo on mine... fits fine.

And does anyone else notice that at 100mph or higher, the wipers are soooo slow, they almost stop dead mid stroke?

possibly because VW didnt expect people to be doing 100mph in the wet! :D

I think they probably did.... a 140mph car should be capable of functioning properly in wet weather.

My wipers seem a little slower at very high speeds but not in a dangerous way, maybe its just tired motors/wiring on some cars, has anyone checked the voltage at the motor?

The newer aero type blades don't last very long at all - My R32 ones are shot and I've already done 2 sets of blades on the Corrado in 3 years.

I'd agree with the motors not being up to the job, but it probably has something to do with the now improved or actual touching on the screen at speeds instead of not like the OEM ones did!

I was looking at a Golf Plus rear Aero arm and blade the other day... wonder if this would make a nice fit on the Corrado? - Or has anyone else already tried something... then again I should buy a rubber grommit and stop thinking of ways to spend more money on cars.

Guy