Sign in to follow this  
MNuTz

1.8T Engine conversion cost

Can someone explain what engine management means! If youre doing an engine conversion (say 1.8T BAM) is this something else you have to buy?

Is this just another word for the ECU

ECU = engine control unit = engine-management, they are all the same thing. If you are doing a conversion, people either use standard factory-management, rechipped ECU or use stand-alone engine management e.g. MegaSquirt, Emerald, MBE etc.

If you are doing a 20VT conversion I would recommend visiting the Quantumm Performance Engineering website (http://www.qpeng.com/products/vag_plug_ ... _kits.html). They modify existing VAG harness or supply new one, along with remapped MBE 992 ECU, 3-bar map sensor, to form plug+paly kit for doing 20VT conversion into rado's.

This is the easiest route I reckon and pretty cost-effective too.

I Didn't get much change from £3K for mine!!!

Basically Mine uses:

AUQ VVT DBW 1.8T KO3S Motor, 1.8T 5spd Gearbox, VW Management with De-Transponded ECU, DBW Throttle Conversion, Corrado clocks, Custom BFOFMIC, Custom Down Pipe, all brackets moved A La MK4 Golf so it looks factory and thats about it

really!

Wanted it to look As factory as Poss! Pity We couldn't get black hoses :(

DSC03086.jpg

Don't see why you need the Qpeng, when it'll run fine on VW Management!! VW did spend Millions of Euro's devolping it for a reason :roll:

I read this from the qpeng website - they say "While the 1.8T 20v engine is one of the strongest and certainly the most tuneable engine VW has ever released, its potential as a transplant engine is somewhat marred by the need to transfer other components such as the instruments and steering column from the donor vehicle in order for the in engine management system to function"

Are they saying if you use the standard ECU that comes with the engine you buy that youd need to change the steering column ?? But if you use a qpeng ECU then you wouldn't need to change the steering column?

Just sounds a bit weird!

you dont need to change the steering column or the clocks mine is still using the originals its just a bit of a pain to get the rev counter working but andy at psi (where i had mine done) knows what he is doing and managed to get mine working fine

i really would recommend giving him a ring very clued up bloke when it comes to vw and wont rip you off either hes done a top job on mine cant fault it at all here is a pic of his handy work

Did mine a while ago but its an awesome engine to have in a C, especially with 340bhp ;-)

I spec'd mine to handle about 300-400 bhp. Standard internals mind, large port head, Haltech EMS. There's plenty of room for more. My engine isn't the prettiest but it does whats its designed to do!

engine.JPG

What else have you guys changed when you done the conversion........like have you changed the engine mounts and stuff? Where did you all get your intercoolers?

Jeff - If i lived closer to england Id love to get someone like andy to do it for me, but Im trying to get someone over here in NI to do it if possible.......and its proving a bugger to find somone. In saying that - if I had to contact Andy, where roughly is it he lives & how long would it take for him to do a conversion, oh and what do you think he'd charge?

Does he modify the original ECU or would he need someone else to do that?

What else have you guys changed when you done the conversion........like have you changed the engine mounts and stuff? Where did you all get your intercoolers?

Jeff - If i lived closer to england Id love to get someone like andy to do it for me, but Im trying to get someone over here in NI to do it if possible.......and its proving a bugger to find somone. In saying that - if I had to contact Andy, where roughly is it he lives & how long would it take for him to do a conversion, oh and what do you think he'd charge?

Does he modify the original ECU or would he need someone else to do that?

Not sure on time scales but he's not far from Liverpool mate, and Im sure you can catch a ferry to Liverpool ;) He's just outside Stoke.

as stan said he is just outside stoke mine took a bit to do but that was due to waiting on some hoses from samco for ages and as for what he would charge its totally dependant on what you want ie which 20v lump if you want just a basic swap or want things like an uprated intercooler and a re-map, hoses etc etc

I'm looking to put the 20v bam 225 one in. Theres one for sale at the minute (some of you may know what one im talking about) & it comes with the 6 sp gearbox, pullies, pumps, all belts & pipes, alternator, clocks keys & ecu etc...

It's a 2003 engine with 50k miles - what you reckon would be a reasonable price for all that?

I Can put you in contact with the Guy who did my Loom Conversion if you like???? The mechanical side of things is pretty simple, just the electrics are a pain! You could post him your loom, and he can return it to you all done and dusted!

Thanks beeftech, I got to buy the engine etc first though before I worry about that. But I will remember you said that as I may well take you up on that offer.

What do you or anyone else think is a reasonable price for buying the 225 bam engine with gearbox, complete loom, ecu, pullies, pumps, all belts & pipes, alternator, clocks & keys???