Sign in to follow this  
flusted

Flusteds diy oil catch tank

I made an oil catch tank out of a volvo air conditioning can which cost me £6!

Basically just cut the pipes and fitted the crank case breather to 1 pipe,then found a hose pipe connection which was same thread but had a 15mm pipe on it to fit a 15mm breather filter!

Just need to suss a way to drain it,so i might drill a hole in the bottom and tap a thread into it

I didnt want manky hot oil vapour going through my nice polished internals like my flowed inlet manifold etc

what do you think?

the filter cost me £6 aswell so really it was £12 and i used a renault 5 turbo samco water hose as the breather pipe, as it was amazingly the perfect shape and diameter!

Looks like it worked good for you. Another option is to use an actual catch tank from Saab, I forget what part number it is but its from the turbo series.

just so happens theres a saab at my breakers! prefer the polished bling look though.

was tempted to ditch the filter and re run the fumes back into the vacuum so the tank just cathces the crud

runnin sweet but have a poxy airlock in the coolant system and means my heaters dont work and it keeps runnin hot,and i have no pas!

All teething probs really!

cant wait to ge it to stealth to see what it does on rollers

tbh i have fitted a 3mm overbored tb same time as engine,and when you open second throttle i seems to lack the pull so am guessing its leaning out.

Wheel spins a little to easy now tho

tbh i have fitted a 3mm overbored tb same time as engine,and when you open second throttle i seems to lack the pull so am guessing its leaning out.

Wheel spins a little to easy now tho

I know its off topic but what expansion tank are you using? ive seen a baily one for 100 quid to fit a mark 2 golf and was thinking of using this on my c.

Love the catch tank, just had mine fitted last week.

id like some ally tanks made up for mine i was thinking of having all the tanks in one big tank that wraps around the strut top. nice shoestring mod btw flusted!

It forces the oil vapours from the crank case to condense in the pot, rather than your intake and throttle body.

Hot oily fumes are not a good thing to suck into the engine.

Personally I just vent to atmosphere with a long hose tied to the steering rack so that the fumes don't get drawn in via the heater fan. Air flowing under the car draws the fumes away and out the back.

right so would it work on my car then ie forced induction, if it is possible how would i do what kevHaywire has done ie where would i start from

Adam, I used to vent to atmosphere on my 16v Turbo aswell. Defo worth doing on the turbo as there are much more ring blow by gases. I get fed up with cleaning out the air box and throttle every month and venting it to atmos' was one of the best things I did.

Here's my catch tank on the VR.... it's a plastic pot with mesh inside to condense the oil. The pic is in 'MOT mode' feeding back to the charger inlet, but the rest of the year the outlet pipe just runs down to the steering rack.

1.jpg