Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

what does this mean for us? no more modifications

how can replacing brakes,suspension,engine on a 15 year old car be seen as a bad thing!

it makes you mad when you see some of the sh*t heaps on the road nowadays

Oh my god! What CAN we do in the country anymore? :x

Maybe a petition put through the Corrado Forum could be a good start... perhaps even contact to other forums similar to this one that cover other makes of car, to do the same?

Read the small print. It's nowhere near as draconian as you would assume, simply from reading that article..

Note it says "strict tests for modified cars". It doesn't say "banning all modifications outright", does it?

I agree with you all on this

Upgrading to me is the same as updating.

If I was in the deep south I would consider doing what the trucks were doing years ago and re register in another country.

feckin sods

however, if it means the quality of alot of sh!te out there improves, that cant be bad.

I would imagine that proper quality suspension etc will be allowed to be sold, and this will have a bigger effect on the more 'max power' type mods.

But its yet more proposed red tape from some jumped up bureaucrat.

Sure mods have to be safe etc. and as many have rightly stated new supsension/brakes etc on a 15 year old car can only be a good thing. But it sounds to me that the government are simply just tackling another side of the motorist for more revenue.

I bet those 'super Mot's' will be more about noise and air pollution anyway!

Is there a date on the paper...? Perhaps 01/04/06...? ;)

If not, then I'm not bothered about it at all - bear in mind that in Germany, their TUV test is unbelievably strict, and any aftermarket parts fitted have to have a piece of paper saying they're TUV-approved, or they have to be removed... It just means that all the bodgers won't be allowed on the roads but people like us who do things properly will be...

I bet those 'super Mot's' will be more about noise and air pollution anyway!

Absolutely. But what's the problem here? You modify your car, you might think you're choosing "quality" items. But if you are actually fitting rubbish, then your car doesn't deserve to be on the road, right? And surely it's obvious that the tester will have to spend more time checking.. so it'll be more expensive.

As usual, let's not jump the gun here. Leave the Daily Mail to do the campaigns against nothing-in-particular and we'll wait for some facts before we make our judgement.

Agree with you on that one gradeAfailure, we have similar rules in Australia, everything that is an after market car part has to be tested etc, but we don't have to carry certificates. Spacers and adapters are illegal but people still use them.

Not quite as strict as the deutchie's - but i think its a good thing.

Fair point Dr Mat - I'm just very sceptic about what the government are doing to our country. Everything seems to be about conforming to what they beleive is right, follwed by a cost to the public. I agree that rubbish/unsafe mods should be reduced but this proposal Takes away freedom of choice a little which is what most people love about modding their cars.

If a person wants to fit cheap and crappy bucket seats into his car which look ridiculous but are perfectly safe, surely there's nothing wroing in that?

But yeah I agree that perhaps its not worth fretting over until something more concrete gets suggested!

(Maybe I'm getting on my high horse a bit too soon here...!) :roll:

They can't put a complete ban on car modifying, theres way too much money in it.... tests similar to Australia or NZ wont be a bad thing, just hope they don't take it too far......

Does anyone actually know what magazine this came from and the date?

loads more on it hiding here: http://www.edition38.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=38204&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30 Musicmans post...

Is this for real? I think it might be an April Fool, the name "Kevin Rooney" strike anyone with a bit of suspician? Or how about the printed "April" in another part of an article.

I'm not convinced.

Is this for real? I think it might be an April Fool, the name "Kevin Rooney" strike anyone with a bit of suspician? Or how about the printed "April" in another part of an article.

I'm not convinced.

Definately real, I remember CoxyLaad posting about it before april

whether it's a joke or not, it actually sounds like a good idea to me. Like Baz said, I think it will have more impact on the max power type shite cars than more 'sensible' mods like suspension/brake upgrades etc.

But what you have got to bear in mind is that cars are made with a certain setup in mind and when you alter that setup you alter the performance and ultimately the safeness of the car. eg a little saxo that some chav has stuck one of those awful meccano type spoilers on, put a massive sub/amp in the boot, added a stainless steel exhaust etc, it all alters the weight of the car and the brakes/suspension etc may not have been made with that kind of weight in mind! PLus if you add a few of his chav mates in there, it all takes the vehicle over it's weight limit!

Should stop the chicken wire and filler brigade from fitting snow ploughs then it is a good thing.

But from my perspective it may mean projects like my current engine build could be impossible or very difficult. That would annoying to have a MOT tester check my work given my day to day job and the fact that those standards have been applied to my project.

I suppose ultimately how much it impacts on the wallet in both MOT terms (does it need a 'super' test every year or just once much like a 'Q' plate custom? and if I then have grief getting suitable insurance for it)

Ban smoking, ban mods, more speed cameras, cctv everywhere, ban 4x4's etc cos i know better than you, i say **ck 'em :fist:

OK, take a good long look at my Corrado's G60 engine... Most of you know it's not standard (far from it!) but if I changed the two charger hoses back to the original golf plastic ones (or powdercoated the metal ones in crinkle black finish... ;) ) how would anyone tell that it's not standard from just looking at it? (other than the oil cooler) Does anyone seriously believe that the government would think that they'd be able to strip every car down to list every modification?!?

Most of the legislation that's being discussed at the moment is to stop the muppets who are putting huge spoilers on their cars, body kits that make their cars downright deadly to pedestrians in the event of a minor accident that would normally just result in bruising, and interiors with more TV screens, speakers, MDF and fibreglass that are just held in with a few self tappers and come loose in the event of an emergency stop decapitating the occupants of the car... :roll:

Personally, I'm all for tougher safety testing of motor vehicles if it means that some of the dangerous heaps of $h!t driving around now are scrapped... If I have to pay a little more, hell that's the way EVERYTHING fun or entertaining in this damned country is going anyway...

I think "extensivly modified" is a key phrase here, firstly how do you define "extensive", secondly as henny says, how do you police it? I think its going to prove totally unworkable for engine mods unless the MOT tester is supposed to be familiar with the intricasys of every engine on the road and be able to spot even hidden mods like cams, re-bores or chips. Obviously if its a micra with a skyline engine in then they'll probably spot it ;)

as for chav-chariots with go-faster-PVC all over them, subject them to the same tests as imported cars get subjected to, where they activly look for sharp edges, dangerous protrudences and other such pedestrian killers.

"extensively modified" eh, so that means and £extensive MOT, more like "expensive".

dunno about you lot, but I'l starting to get totally f*cked off with this government and the absolutely ridiculous amount of money thet want to take off me every year just for being able to drive a sodding car.

I've had enough, if they get any worse I'm just not going to bother any more.....

I'll emigrate!