Sign in to follow this  
stooby doo

Body work restoration - Bare Metal Respray ????

My storm has had some poor body repairs done on it over the years it would appear. (I've only owned it for 12 mths)

I was going to remove the nudge strips but decided against it due to the amount of paint that has been put on the drivers door.

Has anyone any idea how much a bare metal respray would cost for the whole car ?

Failing that, has anyone any other ideas how I can try to restore the bodywork.

Any recommendations of a good bodyshop in the Northwest also appreciated....

Has anyone any idea how much a bare metal respray would cost for the whole car ?

Alot... Probably around the area of £1200 to £1500+(edit mistake £2200 to 2500+)

You would be amazed at what majic these places can perform, best bet would prob go and see somebody who works in a bodyshop and ask ~ they will have a good idea of whats best.

I was under the impression that generally, unless ure gona change colour or do sumin special with the paint that a baremetal job is a bit extreme.

Im sure sum1 will be on here who no's in more detail

a proper bare metal respray will cost a lot more than £1500...........unless you are well friendly with a bodyshop owner

Yeah, a full-on bare metal spray with the bodyshop doing all the prep would probably be in the £2500-£3000 range at least - if you want it done properly that is... ;)

Yeah a bare metal would cost in the region of £2500-£3000 depending on where you go and how much work needs doing to the bodywork to get it back in a1 condition, from memory premier used to charge £3000.

Where in the NW are you?

Stan, I live in Hindley, on the outskirts of Wigan / Bolton.

Originally from St.Helens.

Anywhere around these parts will do.

i know a mate who got a bare metal respray done on his Toyota, ended costing him £5000 in total!!!! :shock:

if you strip the car down yourself you will save a small fortune

but to be honest a sand down and respray will look just as good if it's done properly

A proper bare metal respray would mean stripping the car down to it's bare shell, removing all the paint, underseal and that painfully tuff rubber stuff VW use then painting everything and bolting the whole lot back together... alot of work and at bodyshop prices you could buy another C for probably less

my 2 pence worth anyway (some would say I'm worth less) :lol:

Annd make sure you get them to give you a job price - not an estimate.

That way you know how much it'll cost you and it doesn't end up costing 5x more than you thought.

I got quotes from my local place of £1800 for a same colour blow over (glass and rubber out job) and £2950 for a bare metal job.

dont forget..if it has some bad repairs, maybe have those panels bare metaled and put right...then just a sand down and paint for the rest

I got a quote from the guy who beat out and resprayed my wing a year ago.

he said best part of a grand for a respray, thats windows out and sanding down.

he said I would only need 2 sides, as the bonnet and rear where done with the wing a year ago, and that price also included some smoothing here and there.

He does a good job, so thats probably where i'll be going

My mates mate has a bodyshop in Preston, I'll get the details for you.

Stan , any luck with getting those details ????

Anybody know anywhere else in the Lancs, Cheshire, Merseyside areas ?

I got quotes from my local place of £1800 for a same colour blow over (glass and rubber out job) and £2950 for a bare metal job.

sounds about right.

Id go for a sand down and respray (so much so that its actually what im saving for at the moment). In agreement with other peoples comments a bare metal maybe overkill.

:D

My mates mate has a bodyshop in Preston, I'll get the details for you.

Stan , any luck with getting those details ????

Anybody know anywhere else in the Lancs, Cheshire, Merseyside areas ?[/quote:8b119]

Sorry mate :oops:

im on the case now ;)

"Bare metal" is both completely unnessecary and actually detrimental.

The only reason to do a completely bare metal respray is if you have some major rot (unlikely on a Corrado) or you have serious contamination in the paint for some reason.

By removing EVERYTHING from a bodyshell you remove all the factory protection from moisture that can never be replicated in a bodyshop however good it is. Basically a flat down 2 pak primer and respray will give you as good a finish as you will ever need and still maintain the original factory sealing.

Jay

If i were taking my car in for a spray for front bonnet and bumper, do you rekon i'd save a bit of dosh, sanding down the panels first ?????

If i were taking my car in for a spray for front bonnet and bumper, do you rekon i'd save a bit of dosh, sanding down the panels first ?????

nah, if there a decent bodyshop they only rub it down again anyway.

does anyone know if rear arch repair panels are avialible? mine has some filler in the rear arch presumably from an accident repair but its a bit rotten where the inner arch meets the bodywork as a result, im having the car painted (again!) this winter and was hoping to have this sorted once and for all at the same time.

billinjah, i asked about that a bit back,i heard its only the full rear quarter thats available and there not cheap,the bodyshop i'm gonna use said they totally rebuild mine