CazzaVR

Cazza's Storm- Gone :( ...S3 Has Arrived! :)

Well got the newly rebuilt gearbox fitted last night! Firstly, huge thanks to Lewvw & his mate Steve for fitting it all- I was left quite redundant as the guys set about changing the boxes. Lew also had his nose split open by a falling starter motor- looks like he's been boxing (should of taken a pic :lol:).

Got started at around 5:30pm. Once all the ancillaries were removed, the box was ready to come off, although it took quite a lot of persuasion! Once it was off, we filled it with Castrol Syntrans Synth oil and swapped the shift tower from my existing box as we knew it was working perfectly. Also swapped the speed sensor over. Also fitted a new release bearing and fork (would be silly not to). No need to change the clutch as it was fitted by Stealth a few thousand miles ago and still looked brand new.

Next up we changed the gearbox mount for a MK2 Goof Diesel mount. The old one was the original and the rubber was perishing quite badly.

Then the new box was fitted. Thankfully it went on easier than the old one came off! We fitted a gearbox support bracket I had lying around. Not sure why they weren't fitted to the very late cars, but thought it may as well go on! Everything was bolted up to the correct torque (Lew somehow has them all stored in his head!) and all the top parts were assembled. Finally, the battery was refitted and it was crunch time... hopefully not literally!

It didn't want to go into 1st or 2nd at all. The others were OK, but not nice and smooth. 1st and 2nd went with a little persuasion, but still not right. After a phone call to Mart (Hotgolf, who built the box), we gave the cables some adjustment, and hey presto! Into gear fine, and just got better the more I drove it as the oil worked into the synchros.

Right, first impressions! Took a few minutes to REALLY notice the changes. The more I drove, the more the differences became apparent. 1st, 2nd and 3rd feel noticeably quicker. 2nd is savage! The car is much quicker on the uptake- hard to describe, but it just feels more alive and eager. It improves the all round driveability of the VR and still feels completely OEM, which is mainly why I didn't go for a lightened fly at the same time. I use the car daily and just felt it would spoil the balance of the car slightly- I wanted to keep the OEM driveability. I am slightly disappointed in 5th- there is an improvement, but not as much as the other gears, however it's early days. I'll be out in it again today ;)

I would totally recommend getting this done. It's a perfect upgrade for a VR. Don't expect charger or turbo differences, just expect your car to feel fully awake! 8)

---------- Post added at 9:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:01 AM ----------

On the downside, discovered my stat housing has a slight leak and the rad elbow is also weeping slightly. Luckily I have a brand new elbow that I'll swap over today.

Good work Andy,or should i say Lew & Steve! Sounds like another great mod to think about.

Probably one of the best mods you can ever do to a VR6 :)

my 3.68 box is ready for collection from stealth now :)

Pete

Add a G60 3rd gear to and its even better apparently. Sounds good. When I start using my car again I will do this, in fact I might do it as its sitting doing nothing at the moment.

Pete, how much do Stealth charge for the box? Have you had a full rebuild?

Coullstar, G60 3rd sounds like a good idea! Get it done ;) 8)

You know it. Going out my 263 schimmel cams in as well as the box and refurbed injectors curtisy of mr injector!

Your car is gonna fly! Need to get my injectors done at some point, although I was thinking of treating the car to an internal clean courtesy of Bananaman.

Edited by CazzaVR

vRS is now 7 years old and has done a smidge under 80K. Went through the MOT today with no advisories 8)

vRS is now 7 years old and has done a smidge under 80K. Went through the MOT today with no advisories 8)

80K jesus...........................mine is 9yrs and is still well in the 70's

Thanks guys.

Oz, it gets used for all our holiday journeys, trips etc. It's the family workhorse!

Thanks guys.

Oz, it gets used for all our holiday journeys, trips etc. It's the family workhorse!

Only joking................so does ours and I reckon we'd be ton plus except for the years I spent away from the UK and wifey having 3 cars to run

bah! barely run in! if it had 180k on i'd be more impressed :D

Pics from AV8 @ Kemble

A bit of an update! Gearbox whines - mainly above 3k rpm. Gonna take it back to Mart (Hotgolf), who's very kindly offered to strip it again and fit a whole set of bearings. A load of hassle taking the box off again, but it will give me peace of mind. Still loving how it drives with the 3.68...

Next mission will be a whole coolant system revamp: rad, fan switch, silicon hoses, water pump, stat + housing and sensors etc.

Also a little paint here and there.

Edited by CazzaVR

Some of that cooling system re-vamp would be a lot easier with the box out again,especially stat & sensors.If thats any conscillation Andy.

Hope the rebuild fixes it Andy. You need to give me more notice of when your foot goes down for it to be a fair test of the 3.68!

Ooh, cracking pic mate! Thanks 8)

I'll give you more warning next time- sorry to leave you behind :lol:

Gearbox is ready with new bearings etc. Getting it refitted tomorrow + a couple of other small jobs.

Mart has been extremely helpful with the whole thing- cheers matey!

Gearbox is ready with new bearings etc. Getting it refitted tomorrow + a couple of other small jobs.

Mart has been extremely helpful with the whole thing- cheers matey!

Hopefully the hub + bearing will get rid of the clunking noise?

Ian.

Yep, clunking gone, all tickety-boo 8)

I'll be honest though, think I'm losing the love. Not gonna make a snap descision, but feel like I'm all Corrado'd out now. Would like something more modern as a daily- maybe a MK1 LCR...