Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Brake pedal Judders when braking.....

when i brake i can feel a strong juddered from the pedal, is it a sign of wearing pads or a knackered disc?

Anyone got any info before i whip the wheels off and investigate?

Neil

more commonly a sign of a knackered/warped disc.

possibly? abs related,though im not too experienced with abs.

neil.

It's most likely warped brake disks - usually the fronts. It's very common, especially if you've bought cheap disks and/or been giving them some stick.

You'll know if it's the ABS because it's a very fast and hard pulse that always stays at the same speed, regardless of how fast you're going.

Similiarly, ABS should only kick in if you're braking very hard.

If it's warped disks, they'll judder more slowly as you slow the car down and will do it most of the time you're braking.

Warped discs seem relatively common.

Also, if the hub face they are mated too when being replaced is not cleaned properly of rust, etc, they will not run true - so I was told when I had this trouble with a newish Polo years ago.

well about 3 weeks ago my ABS light would come on like usual when starting the car and STAY ON, but if i was to turn the car off and start it again it'd come on like usual but go out like it should do.

But it did come on and stay on a fair few times.

Then i went on holiday for 2 weeks, my dad moved my car in the drive 3 times, then when i got back, THATS when the juddering started!

The Judder is more notice'able when braking harder, i dont brake sharp or anything. it slows down when the car slows down.

I have not done anything to the brakes since i've had the car for that past 8 months.

Possibly a build up of rust on the discs when the car was sat unused in wild and wooly Sheffield has triggered something.

Sometimes the brake pads can almost seize onto the discs when cars are left unused in damp conditions for a few days.

The ABS light now goes off like it should.

I did notice some rusty build up on the front right disc, but i've driven it about 200 miles since then and its still doing it.

When it was stood still for 2 weeks it was constantly rainging!

I do not think these judders are usually a serious safety problem - but they are flippin' annoying. Personally, I could not put up with it.

If it were me, Neil, I would invest in a new pair of front discs and pads.

I had to do it with the Polo, even though the ones in place were new Zimmermans from GSF.

Another pair from GSF for a Golf GTi gave no problem.

If there's nothing visibly stuck to the disks, then it's almost certainly warped disks.

I'd guess your ABS problem is caused by a mis-shapen ABS cage that gives dodgy readings from time to time. When you restart the car, it clears the error and carries on as usual.

The ABS will fail-off though - if the light's on, then the ABS is disabled.

Mr Plopp has pointed out a few important and worthwhile items - by now there should be nothing stuck to the disk and no rust. (although we all get tiny sponts of rust each morning that you can rub off with your finger - ie comes off the instant you use the brakes)

It does sound like warped disks with the change of judder with change of speed. Avoid knackering your new disks, bed them in, and always go gently on cold disks so as not to warp them. You must be doing some hard driving to warp them when they're hot, if thats the case - then get ventilated.

Can you not check the disks to see if they are warped?

However dont rule out ABS - wish I knew more about it.

you could rule out the abs by dis'ing one of the sensors in the engine bay. the light will then stay on and the abs will then be OFF.

if it still judders then its likely to be discs/pads as the guys have said.

which sensor would i un-plug in the engine bay to make the abs light come on and the abs OFF?

one of the ones on top of the strut tower. as in its a black thing that looks like a fuse holder near a front top mount, which ever side you like will make the abs light come on as its like a sensor problem to the ABS ECU so it turns the ABS off

Aye, what sciroccotune says - it's a black rubbery tube thing about 1cm diameter and sits right by the top of the front suspension strut (one on each side).

Jack the car up and spin the wheel, if it binds mid rotation, your discs are shot, simple as ;-)

oh yeah, never thought of that, duh!

cheers!

out of curiosity, if i am to replace my discs and pads,

is it

a) a hard job to do, i've done vauxhalls and peugeot brake systems.

b) how much would i be expecting to pay from GSF?

c) is there an upgrade im better fitting instead of the standard ones?

cheers guys!

Neil

its an easy job as long as the 2 caliper carrier bolts arnt seized,id give them a good soaking over night with plus gas or wd40,might even be worth tring to holds of the parts to convert yours to 280mm

what brakes do i have on at the moment, its a 2ltr 16v 1993, what will i need to convert them to bigger breaks?

Std valver discs are 256mm, just get the calipers and carriers off a G60, plus a set of new G60 280mm discs and pads... Job done!