Sign in to follow this  
24V Renshaw

Finally the new Dub Project.... Another set of wheels!

Really, didnt know that havent bought PVW for a while, nice one buddy ;)

So what you done to the Goof???? Chopped the lid off? New bodykit/paint? R36 engine? :lol:

OK. So I have finally started doing things on the MK4 4motion. Since Thursday this is what I have been up to with my talented welding and painting mate Gary.

Basically there is one thing I don't like and never have about the MK4 and that is the rear end. I never liked the handle, the badge, the numberplate in the bumper etc..etc... So.......

I decided to change it and weld a Bora numberplate recess into the tailgate, smooth the bumper and extend the two rubbing strips to join in the middle.

First off I plastic welded the bumper up to lose the numberplate recess...

P1010084.jpg

I also flushed out things like the towing eye recess, just to clean things up a bit.

P1010077.jpg

Next came the welding work. We cut out a Bora numberplate recess, being careful not to distort the panel.

P1010086.jpg

This (cutting a very long story short) was welded into the MK4 tailgate, using proper welding principles, joggle tools and careful alignment to basically require almost no filler.

P1010097.jpg

A coat of primer and a bit more rubbing down it was ready for paint, along with the bumper, rubbing strip and rear valance.

P1010106.jpg

The results are very factory, complete with number plate lights etc..

P1010120.jpg

P1010125.jpg

P1010134.jpg

Will get some daylight pics soon. Also I its not yet lowered and has 16" steels on at the mo :)

I know I need a blanking plug for the rear wiper :)

Thoughts?

Jay

LOL! the complete reverse of what all the lads were doing with "flushed" tailgates all those years ago.

Awesome bodywork skills, but sorry, don't like it, i think it looks like a micra.

i didnt realise how different that was until i noticed the standard mk4 in the background :lol:

its going to be one of those cars where people do a double take trying to work out whats different.

the standard of work looks superb

looking forward to what the finnished article will look like

HOW DIFFERENT!!!!! makes me think audi 8) from them pics i like, but wanna see the whole car..extra kudu's Mr Renshaw. 8)8)

P1010125.jpg

Jay

this one looks abit porshe cayenne 8) :wink:

how you guys are getting micra i do not know :lol:

Ok, firstly I like it!

It reminds me of the E36 (or later) Touring! Funny how so many people are seeing different cars in it!

bzadekzd4.jpg

hats off to you for doing something original to the mk4 though - I didn't think it was possible 8)

I quite like.... different!

Agree with the Audi A3 comments though:

photo-gallery-audi-a3.jpg

Be interesting to see what you have in store next ;)

how about finding a tiny VW badge instead of a blanking plug for the wiper hole?, or a camera linked to a screen in the front and get rid of the interior mirror?

with just a blanking plug its going to look a bit unfinnished and will allways just look like a de-wipered boot, its a shame you cant get the rear screen without the hole and the lump in the black border.

I have seen those windscreen repair places fill some pretty bit chips in windscreens before so i wonder if it would be possible to fill the wiper hole?