mic_VR

How To: VR6 Thermostat Housing Replacment

gogsboy, the parts are identical to VW 8) Just ask for the bits from a Galaxy VR6. I'll try to find some part numbers, but have a feeling I've lost them :(

Just finished mine today :D but took a whopping 6 and half hours :shock:

Replaced everything and spent lot of time cleaning up various components before refitting it all back together again.

Found it quite straight forward - i was lucky with the hoses as they came off quite easily and also managed to get at the drainplug (crackpipe) screw from the top of the engine to drain the coolant :D

It does help if you can remove the plastic engine cover above the coilpack and the fan electrics plug.

Tobe safe i did use gasket sealant on all joints.

Found the most fiddley part tobe placing the new houseing assembly back onto the engine - lining up the 3 screw holes when working in that tight area took a bit of time but in my opinion its not worth removing the front of the car to do this - just be patient!

Thanks again for a very helpful post!

gogsboy, the parts are identical to VW 8) Just ask for the bits from a Galaxy VR6. I'll try to find some part numbers, but have a feeling I've lost them :(

I done a search and found part numbers that you had posted

1022692 - stat/head seal £1.59 ea x1 1018807 - crackpipe/stat seal £0.85 ea x2

7198663 - sensor seal £0.67 ea x3 1032251 - stat housing £8.35 x1

1032252 - stat housing £8.20 x1 (can't remember which is which, but these are the two smaller housing parts- I bought the large housing part which houses the sensors off Ebay )

1428105 - screw panhead £0.58 x2 1018814 - screw socket HD £0.53 x2

1018816 - screw socket HD £1.18 x3 1669965 - coolant sensor £8.01 x1

I already got something from VW, I order the full housing and stat but only got part, wondering which part I could eliminate from the above. I am led to believe it is the cheaper of the part I got from VW and if I recall it came with a seal.

Any ideas

Got a pic?

Seen this?

No pic or part number as offshore just now but from that link, after me calling VW and asking for thermo housing and stat, with any associated bits, ie bolts/seals all I got was the stat..a rubber seal/gasket thing and the part pictured on the bottom right of the pic.

Do they deliver to the UK thats everything you need for $47 bloody bargain if you ask me???

Looks good, I have a nephew living over near there, but he is not the most reliable lad in the world :D

Click on the link about the staff...first guy....interests..Asian women

Lol!

Is the LHD thermostat housing any different to a UK one or are they exactly the same ??

Just sent them an email to see if they would deliver over to the UK!

They will deliver overseas. - I asked about this today.

You read "Terms and Conditions", I was told.

LInk to t&c is right at bottom of page and difficult to spot.

I did not have time to read, so will be interested what you find.

How many times have I read that something would be simple only to call and it to be the complete opposite...arghhhhh

Ford, whats the reg, what age is it, what engine is it, 2.8 and 2.9 housing are completely different blah blah

Well how much is it roughly...23.94 plus vat for the housing, thats not including any of the swtiches/seals/bolts etc..

This sound right, doesnt to me.

I asked is same as VW and he said no, was only the diesel 1.9....eh

Anyone be more specific on this housing carry on with regards to ford?

Referring to the Cazza post on the housing from america it looks like 47 dollers which is roughly 23 quid plus postage which i looked up on usps.com and that came to 37 dollers which is roughly 17 quid so all in 40 quid sounds a deal to me but what the difference between the 70 0c one and the 80 0c one which ones best??

Gogsboy, did you give them the part numbers above? I just popped in to my local Ford place, told them I wanted stat parts for the Galaxy VR6 and they got it all up on the screen. Think the Galaxy was a 2.8, but the 2.8 & 2.9 parts are identical, so it doesn't matter.

Jon, the 80c stat is the standard stat. The 70c stat will keep the oil & water temps down. I fitted one a few months ago and it's made a hell of a difference! I used to see water temps of 90-100c, and oil of around 105-115c. The water rarely goes above 80c now, and the oil is usually around 90c. Well worth it imho- waaaay cheaper than an oil cooler.

The car does take longer to warm up though (sometimes 15mins to get to 80c), so you need to pootle around for a bit before you can rag it.

The car does take longer to warm up though (sometimes 15mins to get to 80c), so you need to pootle around for a bit before you can rag it.

Not with a rotrex supercharger :lol: takes a few minutes. But even supercharged with a 70c stat mine doesnt get any hotter than the figures yours is getting, which is great!

Cazza just got back on dry land, they said come in and can print you off a copy of the screen shot, so will do that today.

Did pass one of the part numbers to try and help them suss it out but you had listed them as 8 for the part and 8 for this etc, they just said its 23 plus vat for the housing.

I said to the guy surely the 2.8 and 2.9 are the same, his responce was no they are 'totally' different.

Whats the longer single pipe in that americano linky, do you need that bit too?

Is there any difference between a right hand drive themo housing and a left hand drive thermo housing or are they the same???

Thought so but thought id check im gonna order that housing kit from america then fit it in a couple of weeks when im due some holidays!

They told me to use USPS.com and find out myself lazy gets they told me the weight of the box would be 12 Ib so worked it out on there and it would take 6-10 days to deliver and would cost 17 quid!