Sign in to follow this  
scarlet_vr6

clay best before date

I have just been given some unopened Swizol clay but it's old and I'm not sure if it 'goes off'. The stuff I have got is in sealed plastic and has been kept in a airtight box but I think it's 5 or 6 years old....

Id imagine if its been in a sealed packet then it should be ok....

Play it safe though and drop Riley a PM, hes in the know about all this sort of stuff....

I would imagine it would be fine, as long as its not gone hard and you can warm it up by kneeding it in your hands until its soft. Try it on a hidden area first to see if it leaves any marks. Just make sure you keep it warm by kneeding it regularly revealing clean surfaces, use plenty of lube and dont use it in direct sunlight as the lube dries VERY fast.

I would imagine it would be fine, as long as its not gone hard and you can warm it up by kneeding it in your hands until its soft. Try it on a hidden area first to see if it leaves any marks. Just make sure you keep it warm by kneeding it regularly revealing clean surfaces, use plenty of lube and dont use it in direct sunlight as the lube dries VERY fast.

Is it just me or is that innuendo heaven? :norty:

Try dropping it in quite hot water for a minute or so. unless it's very far gone then you can bring most clay back from the brink.

PMSL didnt realise when i typed it :roll: :lol:

PMSL didnt realise when i typed it :roll: :lol:

:rofl:

Can you use a clay bar indefinately?

Just wondering how many times you can use it before you get problems with trapped in dirt, etc.

I was under the impression that you split one medium sized piece into 3 parts, one piece per side and third piece for bonnet, roof and tailgate and only used each piece once before binning it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got this wrong though :wink:

Certainly not indefinitely, but it depends on how filthy the car is.

The idea is that it's a once-only job, but you could use it twice at a push...

Id only use it the once meself...its not just how dirty the car/clay is,although obviously it ups the chance of damage. :(

its also that slight chance that the 1 little bit of grit/dirt that you thought was deeply moulded into the clay,may just end up on/near the surface and cause some damage.Its always a slight risk i suppose,but always using new will minimise that risk to an extent.

pm i sent to Fay...

Clay dosn't have a best before date as such,what really matters is how its stored,and being in the original sealed plastic is no bad thing 8) If its been subjected to low temps...such as in a leaky old garage like mine :lol: for a while,then it can become 'over hard' :oops:

Best bet is to open it up,and simply bend it 180d by holding either end.If it bends nicely without 'cracking/splitting' it should be fine.

But warm it up/mould it anyway as it helps keep the elasticity there...

If it does split/crack,try moulding it...and you should feel it 'come back' so to speak.Work it into bar shape and bend again,see how it does.

Hope this helps Fay.

Neil.