Sign in to follow this  
RADO.001

washin, polishin, waxin help

alrite guys, i just want to pick ur brains a bit really.

i gave my vr a good 5 hour clean a few months back, i used:

*washed with meg's nxt car wash

*dried with megs water magnet

*meg's quik spray & clay bar all over

*washed again with nxt wash

*then used meg's 3 step-cleaner, polish, wax

*and treated the rubber, glass, trim

*then used gliptone liquid leather cleaner & conditioner

all done with a lambs woll mit, microfiber cloths & meg's pads!

it looked alot better, but u could still see sum swrils ect. i want to have another go at it but ive also bought sum:

*meg's scratch X

*megs gold class, clear coat paste car wax

*auto glym, super resin ploish

*auto glym, ultra deep shine

*auto glym extra gloss protection

now out of what ive got, what do u think is best to use and in withc order?

and/or is there anything that u think i should buy/use?

if u could help me out that would be great, cheers Dave

I'm sure Rob will be along shortly and correct me....

The Meg's 3-steps' polish stage should have done most of the minor imperfections, but if the swirls aren't too bad go with SPR, try to leave it a lttle while to bond, and if swirls are still there give it another coat or two... SRP has quite good filling properties... Although the UDS seems to do the same job, just for darker paints so maybe give that a go instead (will get some of this once my SRP runs out).

Then follow up with the EGP to seal the paintwork, leave for ages to dry and haze.. buff off and then re-apply... wait and buff... this should give a really deep shine to the car... you could always wax after this as well.

Between times just shampoo the car with a decent car shampoo (NOT washing up liquid as that strips the wax finish, and also contains salts which aren't much good for the finish either) and dry with the water-magnet, and maybe finish with a little Super Detailer/quick spray to remove any water marks etc...

I go for:

Good wash with Autoglym shampoo

Dry with a combination of chamois and water magnet

Polish with AG Ultra Deep shine.

Wax using the carnauba stuff from Riley (autosmart i think)

Followed by all the usual rubber, trim, tyres, glass polish etc..

Im happy with the results i get from this procedure but am aware you can go a whole lot further...

rite i gave the rado a good cleanin 2day 5 hours, in the end i used this setup/products:

*washed with meg's nxt car wash

*dried with megs water magnet

*and treated the rubber, glass, trim

*clean the bay with auto glym degreaser

*then used gliptone liquid leather conditioner

*auto glym, super resin ploish

*auto glym extra gloss protection

*megs gold class, clear coat paste car wax

was a really good finish but i would of liked a weter look?!

Hi Dave,

If you are after a 'wetter' look...dont be tempted to try and achieve it all in one go...especially by hand.

If you have the megs scratch-x...get the best from this product by using it continuously over a week or two period with careful washing inbetween.

By minimising light refracting scratches,you are going to get the most from each product from thereon in and the end result WILL be better.

Same goes for the polish...its worth using a good few times in a wash/polish routine rather than waxing straight away.

Basically get the best from each product before thinking about waxes etc...And don't be worried about not having any 'protection' on there...as you are preparing the paint,and preperation is better than just throwing a wax on in the long run.

Neil.

This thread is useless without pics, lol. Seriously though, put some pictures up and lets see what it looks like now :)

Dave, the routine you done sounds good. If you have arms like arnie then attempt the Scratch-X on the whole car other wise i would just use it for smaller areas as Corrado paint is solid and you aint really get rid of swirls/scratches without a machine imo unless like Riley said you spread it over a long period of time doing nothing but scratch-xing it each day then you may start to see results. But i find you have to be careful when removing swirls etc by hand as for best results from an abrasive polish like scratch-x the abrasives need to be broken down properly and so you have to really work it in by hand to achieve this giving your shoulders a battering! If its not properly broken down you can leave holograms.

The best quick way to get rid of swirls is to fill them as Mr Deviant mentioned SRP is very good at filling. So is UDS but UDS is designed to work better on dark cars so SRP would be good enough for blackberry, i know from experience :wink:. Also the EGP is great on top of SRP as its made to bond to it, but it doesnt bond properly to UDS so with UDS it would be pointless using EGP for good results so better just topping off with a good wax. But over SRP i would def go with 2 coats of EGP and if you want that extra protection a good wax on top of that. Also as deviant said, for better filling results use 2-3 coats of SRP and really work it in, not so much with pressure, but just going over each panel thoroughly, i apply it in circular motion and then up and down to fill in swirls and random scratches.

I would also like to point out that the Megs 3 step is a good starter, the step 1 is a very good paint cleaner, so if you have wax etc on the car and want to remove everything then go over with the paint cleaner. The step 2 polish isn't actually a polish its a glaze as it just adds shine and contains no abrasives so effectively you could add step 2 over another polish such as SRP to use as a glaze. And the step 3 is a bit poor wax really, doesnt last very long at all so you will find you are always topping up so well done for getting another wax.

If you want wet look then you want to get the stuff i have on mine mate, it looks soaking wet! After polishing with SRP etc dont go with the EGP as thats a sealant so anything on top would be pointless apart from a wax. So i use Clearkote Red Moose Glaze which is a wet look glaze designed to work best on red based cars and believe me it works great on blackberry! Follow it with a good wax and on blackberry the best wax i have is Victoria Concours which is good for dark cars but especially good on red based cars again. This takes the edge off of the RMG but still gives a warm glossy look which is stunning. For best results add another coat of the wax 24 hours after.

Another good glaze for wet look is Megs #7 Show Car Glaze, but apparently (not knowing from experience) the step 2 'polish' which is a glaze isnt far off so you could try that. Alternatively instead of waxes and glazes there is another sealant like EGP but gives the ultimate wet mirros finish thats really in your face! And thats Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish. Apply this after polish and dont add any wax as that will just take the wet look away.

Sorry to go on but i have tried numerous stuff on my blackberry C so know what gives the best finish. But then thats for my taste, you might prefer alternative stuff for you!

A lot of people have said loose the wax on step three and get something better. Personally i use Autoglym SRP then go over it with Victoria Concours wax from cleanyourcar.com.

I love my Victoria Concours, such a good wax for the price imo! Its interesting applyin by bare hand though :lol: hard work too!

I love my Victoria Concours, such a good wax for the price imo! Its interesting applyin by bare hand though :lol: hard work too!

I dont have the patience for that. Mine goes on with an applicator lol

I dont have the patience for that. Mine goes on with an applicator lol

Mine does now :lol: done it the first few times by hand and thought fudge it and got the applicator out :lol: Just as good really, you can still apply it thinly and get all smaller areas.

cheers for all the advice guys, will have to look into this RMG & Victoria Concours.

will post a the few pics i took once ive downloaded them.

Can somebody explain what SRP UDS EGP etc are?

AG = Autoglmy

SRP = Autoglym Super Resin Polish (red label)

UDS = Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine (black label)

EGP = Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection (gold label)

CK = Clearkote

RMG = Clearkote Red Moose Glaze

cheers for all the advice guys, will have to look into this RMG & Victoria Concours.

will post a the few pics i took once ive downloaded them.

Dave get on to http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk they have everything you need on there and more and the service is first rate with super fast delivery.

Can somebody explain what SRP UDS EGP etc are?

AG = Autoglmy

SRP = Autoglym Super Resin Polish (red label)

UDS = Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine (black label)

EGP = Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection (gold label)

CK = Clearkote

RMG = Clearkote Red Moose Glaze

Cheers matey.

Personally i cant get on with Autoglym for some reason.

Find the Megs easy to use but still working (thats trying) to get the most out of each product as been suggested.

What stuff would work on a pearlescent green car, cos keep hearing certain stuff is good on certain colours?

I've been using a lot of Chemical Guys stuff recently and think its superb - especially Jetseal109 - awesome product

I've been using a lot of Chemical Guys stuff recently and think its superb - especially Jetseal109 - awesome product

Not tried the Jetseal109 yet, im about due for another purchase soon though so might have to try some out :lol:

im about due for another purchase soon

You musnt be able to move for cleaning stuff....

Jetseal109 is "The" product of the moment but with good reason, used it on the bodywork and wheels prior to Stanford - although the car didn't get dirty the wheels obviously accumulated brake dust - with the jetseal it just clumped together and came off wih a very light wipe over with a cloth.

Certain finishes do seem to suit certain products, thats for sure. I used to love Zymol cleaner wax on my old G60 yet on my current Corrado, its a total pig to work with and have given up. Find that Autoglym polish works really well on this car with great results, yet always found it tiresome on the G60. Go figure.

im about due for another purchase soon

You musnt be able to move for cleaning stuff....

Its starting to get that way now :roll: :lol: