chazrad

Charlie's Corrado VR6 Turbo

I had KW V2's on my old MK2 Golf GTI 16v. Was definately my favourite mod on the car. They ride very well and the bodies dont rust. Id like some on my VR.

looking very very tidy there mate!

p.s. cheers again for those lengths on the manifold heat wrap again, i finally got round to wrapping mine this week & followed them to the letter and they were spot on, its a swine trying to wrap a couple of the pipes properly on the Raceland just before they merge the 6 into 2 (where the pipes are so close together) but its neat enough!

looking very very tidy there mate!

p.s. cheers again for those lengths on the manifold heat wrap again, i finally got round to wrapping mine this week & followed them to the letter and they were spot on, its a swine trying to wrap a couple of the pipes properly on the Raceland just before they merge the 6 into 2 (where the pipes are so close together) but its neat enough!

Just be aware mate, that I had to remove the wrap on each of the 6 individual headers, simply because we couldn't get to the bottom bolts to screw the manifold to the head. It was just impossible to get any extension bar or even a hand between the wrapped headers to get to the bottom row of bolts. So the wrap came off down to the point at which the 6 headers merge to 2 pipes. Only then could we get it on, and even then it was a shocker really! I hope you have an easier time. :?

In future, I think I'd get the manifold ceramic coated. It'll look better and there wouldn't be any issues fitting it. I will be making up a heat shield to fit to the top of the manifold, to prevent any chance of the heat meliting the throttle body, or unnecessarily warming the induction charge. 8)

Hmmm thats worrying :? ...must admit i'm not fitting it myself but had better have a word with the chap who will be!

the whole reason its going on is because mine is being Rotrex'd at the same time and i wanted to make every effort to keep the head temps down, have done a shed load of other stuff i.e. replaced pretty much all the water system & fitted a Mocal, inductions not tooooo much of a problem as its going via a nice EIP/Spearco low loss SMIC, but i'd hoped the Raceland would help now it sounds like its just going to create more problems.....Hmmmm time to google ceramic coatings methings!!

Just be aware mate, that I had to remove the wrap on each of the 6 individual headers, simply because we couldn't get to the bottom bolts to screw the manifold to the head. It was just impossible to get any extension bar or even a hand between the wrapped headers to get to the bottom row of bolts. So the wrap came off down to the point at which the 6 headers merge to 2 pipes. Only then could we get it on, and even then it was a shocker really! I hope you have an easier time. :?

In future, I think I'd get the manifold ceramic coated. It'll look better and there wouldn't be any issues fitting it. I will be making up a heat shield to fit to the top of the manifold, to prevent any chance of the heat meliting the throttle body, or unnecessarily warming the induction charge. 8)

That looks spot on now Charlie top choice of wheels imo!! How do you find them with the power as i would imagine them being quite heavy and torque steer a bit?

Thanks for the comments, fellas.

Rob, I think the wheels are quite heavy, and tbh, I've not completely opened up the taps yet with them on, as I need to get 2 new front tyres; but I haven't noticed any torque steer yet. The only thing is that with these schitt Wiltshire roads, I have to take care of potholes and the constant divets and ruts, so as not to damage them.

Nevermind...they look ace, and that's why I've always wanted a set.

Zak, I'm really pleased with them. I will have to see about the ride height, bearing in mind, the arches are not yet rolled; but I am conscious that the front seems to sit a few millimetres too high.

Yeah James, your old car looks pretty similar. I'd forgotten you used to a have a set of RH's. Great minds, mate.... :D

Well, got home this evening, washed the car and put it to bed ( :lol: ), after an afternoon at the tyre fitters in Salisbury, where I've had a pair of BF Goodrich G-Force Profilers (what a mouthful!) fitted. They are 205/40/17 like the Toyos T-1Rs on the rear, and there's a bit of a stretch over the new wheels, but they look good.

The fitter reckoned they are a good tyre, having done a recent track day in a car wearing them. They are also harder wearing then the Toyos - which was not a particular selling point for me, but nevertheless. Still, does anybody any experience of these tyres as I'm new to them?

Also, I've fitted the new 10mm HT leads from DubPower, the Peter Collins reckons improves smoothness and pickup on supercharged VR6 cars. He himself uses them on his Rotrex-charger VR. I now need a couple of hundred miles to make up my mind. :D

what a car! :luvlove:

where did you find the inlet manifold? i take it schrick copied vw with the vsr then?????????

where did you find the inlet manifold? i take it schrick copied vw with the vsr then?????????

Dr Shrick bought the rights from Pierburg / VW for the VSR to produce the VGI

Dr Shrick bought the rights from Pierburg / VW for the VSR to produce the VGI

thanks mate

Cheers guys. You're all too kind. :D I've had a quiet night in with a few beers - having a more lively time next weekend though! :D

Well, there's been some spent on the ol' girl over the last few weeks/months - more than I care to admit :cuckoo: . However, its all good though and I'm falling i love with it all over again. Got it back yesterday from The Phirm, where I had a gearbox rebuild and Tim fitted my Peloquin.

Then today, the RH ZW1's have come off and have been sold, and in their place I've put these little puppies - new Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's in anthracite (apparently). I think they look ace - mean and much more aggressive. Different to the ZW1's but the mtorsport look is the way I want to go now. More importantly, I needed rims that'll allow me to fit my new brakes. Photos of those to follow when fitted, but in the mean time, here's the new wheels. Shod with new BF Goodrich G-Force Profiles all round, as I really liked them on the ZW1's. (288mm setup looks lost under the wheels too! :| ... Not for long though. :D

Complete brake overhaul starts tomorrow.

Took a page out of Haywire's book there then with the Team Dynamics. I can't blame you though as they do look great on a Corrado. How does the box feel after a rebuild?

Love this car! Good choice of wheel there, Charlie- as you say, nice and mean 8)

As Jim says, how does the 'box feel after the rebuild? How much difference has the diff made?

Hi Andy, I was only thinking this morning that wheels are the same colour as your painted Speedlines, which I always liked.

The gearbox feels nice and tight, and the clutch is great too. I realise now that there must have been a little bit of slop in my standard clutch, in that it had never been bled properly; there is no slop now - just firm and precise. It is a little heavier than stock, but its no Lambo clutch! :D I haven't driven the car very far yet, but you can defo feel that the Peloquin is there. On straight smooth tarmac, it is 'invisible' but on uneven tarmac, and when you boot it, you can feel it working. I haven't had the car on gravel (of course), and I haven't booted it on wet roads yet, but there is absolutely no wheel spin...at all. all the power gets down to the road, even out of junctions. I need to try my first proper roundabout too! :D all in all, I pretty happy.

Just dropped he car off for the brake work too..... :clap:

The TDs look great. Green and Anthra' can't beat it :wink:

there is absolutely no wheel spin...at all. all the power gets down to the road, even out of junctions. I need to try my first proper roundabout too! :D

Enjoy it whilst it lasts because with the turbo, you'll be spinning both wheels can't frequently in the wet :lol: