Sign in to follow this  
VRev6

How fast have you had out of your standard VR?

Kev, re: 330 v VR - good man :lol:

I was quite surprised really as I've never considered my car to be all that quick and he was *definitely* giving the Bimmer all it had to offer!

When driven flat out by someone equally focused and determined, 330Cis are damn quick cars.

Apparently mine is good for indicated 162mph.... seen a tiptronic 5 speed do an indicated 180mph.... :shock:- apparently its something to do with the gearing in the box....

Blimey.... I shan't be picking on any Mivecs then :wink:

Mine was resting on the stop which is roughly 165 indicated as a guess, prolly only 150 *true* mph though. Still good for a 10 year old N/A car with simple mods. I'm more than happy as I never thought I'd get past 150 in a Volkswagen!

The engine didn't feel entirely happy about doing it though :? Lots of vibration..... felt like a mechanical imbalance, or a top end misfire. Something else for Vince to look at but booking it in because it "Vibrates at an indicated 165mph" might not go down too well though :lol:

Apparently mine is good for indicated 162mph.... seen a tiptronic 5 speed do an indicated 180mph.... :shock:- apparently its something to do with the gearing in the box....

Blimey.... I shan't be picking on any Mivecs then :wink:

Mine was resting on the stop which is roughly 165 indicated as a guess, prolly only 150 *true* mph though. Still good for a 10 year old N/A car with simple mods. I'm more than happy as I never thought I'd get past 150 in a Volkswagen!

The engine didn't feel entirely happy about doing it though :? Lots of vibration..... felt like a mechanical imbalance, or a top end misfire. Something else for Vince to look at but booking it in because it "Vibrates at an indicated 165mph" might not go down too well though :lol:

Well to be honest mate the VR6 would be quicker to 80-90mph due to the torque factor but the FTO has the long gearing and redline to its advantage which means it can do silly figures especially with max bhp being so high up the rev range.... it also has a decent gearbox with long ratios in 4th and 5th hence why they can get silly max speeds... I'd lose some of that top end for a bit more acceleration low down though - know what I mean ;)

Mine aint a MIVEC but perhaps I lost the irony there :-P - chose the GR as its a better engine and has better torque low down which is important for me when coming from a VR .... it also makes the car easier to drive fast as you dont have to rag it like a MIVEC... keep the GR above 4k rpm and it goes VERY well... to get same effect in MIVEC you need to stay above 5500rpm which is tough and due to the gearing between 2nd and 3rd no matter what you do it falls out of the MIVEC so there is lag ... I drove them all... the GR Manual was closest to the VR6 in terms of revs / torque / bhp... was a nicer drive :)

I still said to the missus if someone made me a sensible offer for the FTO I'd go out and get a new Corrado VR6 in a jiffy :oops: - I miss it.

Sorry mate, I thought you had the Mivec. Is the Mivec the 'top of the range' one then? I'm not too clued up on FTOs....

Is the GR still a V6? GRs and GXs (I think?) are generally the ones I see out and about....

Yeah I'd trade top end for acceleration too, which is why the silly 3.3 diff will be coming out when the box is rebuilt. Top end is pretty boring to be honest, brutal acceleration is far more addictive :lol:

You seriously missing the VR? I'm not entirely surprised by that as decent Corrados do have a lasting effect on you. Oh well, there's plenty of them about if you wanna come back :lol:

Sorry mate, I thought you had the Mivec. Is the Mivec the 'top of the range' one then? I'm not too clued up on FTOs....

Is the GR still a V6? GRs and GXs (I think?) are generally the ones I see out and about....

Yeah I'd trade top end for acceleration too, which is why the silly 3.3 diff will be coming out when the box is rebuilt. Top end is pretty boring to be honest, brutal acceleration is far more addictive :lol:

You seriously missing the VR? I'm not entirely surprised by that as decent Corrados do have a lasting effect on you. Oh well, there's plenty of them about if you wanna come back :lol:

The MIVEC and GR both have 2.0 V6 engines but the GR has NIVEC and the GPX has MIVEC... the difference is about 17bhp (same torque figures)... but the MIVEC torque / bhp is pushed higher up the rev range so makes for hard work. But in real world experience there is little to chose between them. Its the gearbox that makes the biggest difference... 95% of them are tiptronics (yawn) ... the manuals are faster by 1 sec to 60mph... quickest is the GPX Manual (60mph in 6.3 secs) then the GR Manual (60mph in 6.7 secs) and the tips go over 7 secs... both manuals do quarter miles in around 15.1 - 15.2 sector so performance is not far off the' 'VR'... the chassis on the FTO is fantastic and on a track I seriously think a VR6 would have problems keeping up (standard of course) but on the road I am not sure... the suspension on the FTO is very hard and can make the car skip a little over bad roads so can be difficult to drive fast sometimes....

GR is to 1996... GX is from 1997 to 2000 (both V6 NIVEC)

GPX is through whole range from 1995 to 2000 (post and pre face lift) (V6 MIVEC)

GS is the 1.8 4 pot... a real slug :)

But yeah I miss my VR6... I dont know why - its not the power I miss, neither the chassis... I suspect its the character of the car...

I WILL be coming back one day - promise.

Scott

the suspension on the FTO is very hard and can make the car skip a little over bad roads so can be difficult to drive fast sometimes....

GR is to 1996... GX is from 1997 to 2000 (both V6 NIVEC)

GPX is through whole range from 1995 to 2000 (post and pre face lift) (V6 MIVEC)

GS is the 1.8 4 pot... a real slug :)

But yeah I miss my VR6... I dont know why - its not the power I miss, neither the chassis... I suspect its the character of the car...

I WILL be coming back one day - promise.

Scott

I suspected FTO suspension was hard..... had to be really to get them *that* flat through the corners!! Know what you about the skipping.... mine does that too occasionally if the dampers are cranked up....but it's managable tho..... depends on the roads but mid corner bumps are never pleasant in any sports car anyway.....

Cheers for the FTO model line-up info.... handy to know that the GS is easy meat :lol:

Same here.... it's not the power or handling of mine I'd miss as you can get that elsewhere.... I think it's just the car as a whole.... it's greater than the sum of it's parts 8)

I know the feeling though.. if you get Mr Smartass BMW winding you up, you HAVE to remind him that an old mid 90's VW is still not to be sniffed at - classic red mist syndrome!

Though have never done anywhere near that kinda speed on public roads.. highest was 125 on the totally and utterly deserted M45 along with Blue Joe coming back from E38.. and even then I was backing off the power as soon as I hit that speed.

I' ve had an indicated 158 out of mine on a sneaky private road and it was still pulling but it did feel like it was gonna take off though, steering goin light and all

I suspected FTO suspension was hard..... had to be really to get them *that* flat through the corners!! Know what you about the skipping.... mine does that too occasionally if the dampers are cranked up....but it's managable tho..... depends on the roads but mid corner bumps are never pleasant in any sports car anyway.....

Cheers for the FTO model line-up info.... handy to know that the GS is easy meat :lol:

Same here.... it's not the power or handling of mine I'd miss as you can get that elsewhere.... I think it's just the car as a whole.... it's greater than the sum of it's parts 8)

Yeah know what you mean... it just doesnt roll at all - totally flat... feels like you are holding on hard via the steering wheel alot of the time when going through corners fast :lol: - I admit I am impressed with the handling of the FTO.

My VR used to skip a bit mid corner on nasty bumps but am used to it a bit - a lot of the problem is that I am hitting corners at higher speeds in general and therefore the mid corner bumps can be trouser moving :lol:

GS has 125bhp... :roll: and not a patch on the V6's...

Couldnt have put it better myself 8)

I can p**s atleast 5"6, tho that requires a few pints before hand! My VR is completley standard and I have 'only' just gone over 130. To be honest the car still feels very refined at 120, the steering starts to get light at 130 and until I put performance tyres,suspension and brakes I'm not going over that. I know of a few private roads but you will be lucky to get past 2nd gear as there so bumpy (residents are too stingy to lay out on new tarmac) I'm sure that when most the people on here talk about 'private roads' it is just a joke but there are obviously a few who go to track days/air fields etc...

One guy at work has got a Kawasaki Ninja 600, he reckons he gets atleast 150 out of it every day on way to work (6am) all it has is a performance can. Another guy has an R1 and has said he has had 177 out of it! Judging by the way I see them pull out of work every day, I don't think they are bull s******g me! :wink:

I've had an indicated 140 out of mine with no problems, then I chickened out. I'll have to take it on a track and see what she can do :D

I have an FTO GR as well, and i had another GR a while ago, both tips but could not find a decent manual and i did not think there was much difference to be honest, manual is better though, and plus a synchromesh in reverse! i would think the vr6 rado is just as good as the FTO perhaps event better on some bits and the power when you hit 4k in the vr is much better than the FTO standard. oh get a blitz air filter and a HKS exhaust, they really let her loose. Top speed though i only got 130 and that was pushing her hard with lots of runway left (delimited FTO as well), but the gearing is good, just not enough power, and torque is pretty poor on them standard. My vr rado had 155 on the clock so not too bad and was still inching the speedo up, but she has gone now so ive got a golf vr6 (plus an FTO) which ive got 140 out of but thats scary in a golf as the suspension is not brilliant yet.

The FTO is a lovelly shape but i actually am prefering the rado more and more, still getting another supe in a year though but keeping the golf as well :wink:

Trust me - I drove a few tips and hated them for those exact reasons.... there is a BIG difference between a manual FTO and a tiptronic one with the manual being substancially quicker :D

But yeah I know what you mean about the power surge at 4k rpm on the Corrado VR6... I still miss it... the FTO just revs and revs and revs.... then revs some more.

130mph is pretty poor though.... I have done 120mph and had only just put it in 4th - was pulling nicely too at that speed when the limiter kicked in :cry:

I still miss my VR6 though.

Told you not to sell it!!! :p

........people never listen to me...... :(

Timo. 8)

Ya nutter kev. 160+ on a public road?? :lol:

And the beemer was limited to 155 surely?

Nope the 330 isn't limited as 155 is it's maximum, so no point limiting it.

I don't think it's capable of much more than 155, but I have found a few references on the net to the fact that it *is* still restricted. I doubt it's going to do any more than 160 though, it's just not got that much juice. I'll bet if it was driven downhill it would still only do 155..

Timo. 8)

I wonder why ;)

Timo. 8)

I wonder why ;)

What's that supposed to mean? cheeky boy!

I've had 145 out of mine, and it was still climbing. Well, thats what it read on the speedo anyway. Was having a good old burn with a Saphire Cosworth on the way to Trax one year. I think the guy sat in the back was suprised to see me still there, keeping up. We hit a bend that looked nothing, but it scared the cr@p out of me at that speed. Needless to say, i slowed down and let him go after that.

All this on a private road of course, that nobody else knows about :)

Steve

The scariest thing is how quickly slow moving or stationary objects come towards you.. racing a mate of mine to Stealth when I used to have my old 2.0 16v.. were gaining on a tractor doing about 20 and I thought to myself "Loads of time to get around..." and before I knew it I was practically behind him - had to get out of the way PDQ!

i was on the A50 from stoke to uttoxeter one time, and there was a vectra 2.0 16V sweating me

i hammered it up to 130 in 4th, then got 150 in 5th. it was peaceful, and scary at the same time.

scarier is thinking back on it, and all the "what ifs" enter your mind. like what it a CV joint let go, or someone pulled out and you hit them. . . . !!!!!

hehe its the fastest i have ever been in a car though.

Timo. 8)

I wonder why ;)

What's that supposed to mean? cheeky boy![/quote:ba763]

pulling your chuffer mate :-P :lol: