Sign in to follow this  
LisaK

Pulled over for not speeding..

Nicked fom the no-rice forum, taken from the cliosport forums...

i found this on the cliosport forum----

Just got stopped for "speeding"

just had an interesting chat with one of East Sussex's finest police officers - let's call him officer Dibble

The discussion went something like this

Dibble "good afternoon sir, is this your car"

me "yes, why have you stopped me?"

Dibble "How fast were you driving just before we stopped you?"

me "about 55/60mph"

Dibble "Actually it was 58mph, are you aware of the speed limit?

me "yes"

Dibble "then why were you going nearly 20 mph over the limit?" (at which point a lecture about the danger of speeding, failing to respond to road signs, how it was a country road etc etc etc)

me "sorry but are you aware that this section of the road is national speed limit?"

Dibble "no it's not. It is a 40 mph zone, the signs are back there"

me "so what about that sign I passed saying it was no longer a 40 zone but national limit?"

Dibble "there is no sign"

me "let's go back and have a look shall we?"

Dibble "there's no need, we clearly saw the 40 mph signs"

me "you are not local are you?"

Dibble, "no we are from Heathfield (about 20 miles away) but that doesn't

make any difference. You were still exceeding the speed limit"

me "If you were local you would know about the national limit sign on the post which is kind of hard to see since the council put a sign up which almost hides it"

Dibble "well we didn't see it"

me "does that mean it's not there then?"

Dibble "no, but it does mean that in our opinion you were speeding"

me "so you are going to give me a ticket for doing 58mph in a 60 mph zone because you didn't see the sign? Who's going to ring the local papers - you or me?"

Dibble "don't get sarcastic with me"

me "shall we go back and have a look at that sign now?"

Dibble "no I'll wait here with you and my partner will go back and check"

me "I'll lock my car up and we can all go back together - I can show you where the sign is then"

Dibble "do you think we are incapable of seeing a sign at the side of the road?"

me "I'm not going to answer that one because you'll probably accuse me of being sarcastic.........but isn't that why you stopped me in the first place"

Dibble then went to his car and sent his mate off to have a look, 2 minutes later he's back and the two of them are having a bit of a chat

Dibble "You are half right, there is a sign there but because it's partly obscured by other signage and the hedge then it doesn't apply"

me "you've just made that up haven't you?"

Dibble "no that's how it works so although the sign is there because you can't see it then it doesn't apply so you were speeding"

me " I did see it, that's why I accelerated from 40 mph to 60 mph, it was you that didn't see it which is why you stopped me for not speeding"

Dibble "I've told you about being sarcastic"

me "so if I were going the other way and didn't slow down for the 40mph sign which is actually partly hidden in the hedge at the moment I could use this argument and quote you to avoid getting nicked - would you write it down for me along with your name and number?"

Dibble "I've told you about being sarcastic"

me "Look this is going nowhere, either give me a ticket for speeding or let me go home"

I then got a pen out of my car door pocket and started to write down his number

Dibble "what are you doing"

me "without wishing to sound even slightly sarcastic, I'm writing down your number so that I can report you"

Dibble "OK, go on then, carry on, go home or wherever you were going just don't do it again"

me "don't do what again?"

Dibble - no answer just got in his car and they drove off

Now, should I report the muppet or not?

I have respect for most normal PCs as the majority of them are sound, but if the story is exactly like he's written it then I'm not surprised the driver was getting the arse with the copper. I'd do the same if I knew I was right and came in to contact with an arrogant arse like that!

Had a similar one with a Traffic plod who pulled me over for not wearing a seat belt... It got better when I told him the vehicle i was driving didn't actyally have any so I couldn't wear one... I then made things worse by pointing out the red rear indicators and white front indicators... At which point he must have thought "Jackpot".

Until I pointed out that as a '62 Model year I was actually in the right...seatbelts weren't standard issue back then, and Amber indicators came into legal force in 64 (IIRC).

1/4 hr of arguing the Toss, and again told I'd be nicked for "Being Sarcastic" (but not as much as he was) resulted in his Oppo radioing to the station and asking who was right!

Guess who! :lol: So he gave me a producer anyway as I didn't have my logbook with me (Had insurance and MOT though), what a bad loser!

Had a similar one with a Traffic plod who pulled me over for not wearing a seat belt... It got better when I told him the vehicle i was driving didn't actyally have any so I couldn't wear one... I then made things worse by pointing out the red rear indicators and white front indicators... At which point he must have thought "Jackpot".

Until I pointed out that as a '62 Model year I was actually in the right...seatbelts weren't standard issue back then, and Amber indicators came into legal force in 64 (IIRC).

1/4 hr of arguing the Toss, and again told I'd be nicked for "Being Sarcastic" (but not as much as he was) resulted in his Oppo radioing to the station and asking who was right!

Guess who! :lol: So he gave me a producer anyway as I didn't have my logbook with me (Had insurance and MOT though), what a bad loser!

Never ceases to amaze me some of the crud the long arm of the law come out with, especially when it comes to older vehicles. They do seem able to stop the people who are law abiding but completely ignore the fibreglass death traps..

I had a car follow me home last night night, saw it early on and sat exactly on the speed limit all the way - for about 4 miles tho this guy sat about 4 metres from my bumper, when I turned off he just carried on - t055er!

Yeah without sounding sarcastic I had a similar incident at the end of July, when I was pulled for "speeding" at 48mph in a 50mph limit at 12:30 at night by two of Dorset's finest.

What started out as a sensible conversation almost ended up in a row when the young officer proffered that my car "smelled like it had been ragged" causing me to question what exactly that smelled like. The useless sod only backed off when I asked him to have a look at my trip computer with me so I could show him how "hard I'd been ragging it".

And you'd think with all the pissheads out in Bournemouth late on a Saturday night they'd have better things to do than try a false stop on a piece of empty dual carrageway.

Years ago something like this would never have happened. A lot of newly qualified officers today would never have gotton into cop-school even ten years ago.

how come there are police everywhere else except where i live then ?? no joke but i havent seen a police car in or around haslemere for well over a month! wish we would though as there are some right N*bbers about....

I've gotta be honest - if I was a traffic cop i reckon i'd wind people up sometimes. The people they follow etc are more than likely the ones they saw messing around the day before, but didn't get a chance to stop.

Of course I'm sure everyone on here is an angel and wouldn't do anything to upset the local force eh? ;)

I'm not sure how true this is but I once heard that traffic cops play snooker. So nicking someone with a nugget yellow would be worth two points. I'd be a foul cos my c is white. And one that's black would be worth seven points. They do get very bored....

I just asked my girlfriend if that's true (she's a police officer, still won't wear the uniform for me :() and she says I'm talking scrollox. She says that a lot mind....

Maybe that explains why I was pulled over in my MK4 Golf (black) but have yet to be given a second glance in my Rado (red) :)

Maybe that explains why I was pulled over in my MK4 Golf (black) but have yet to be given a second glance in my Rado (red) :)

See, it's true!!! :lol: Categorically true. So we've learned that if you want to break the law on British roads drive a red car, or like me go one better and drive a white car. White cars look best as well. :D

It's a good read although I'm sure that if/when it happened the driver that had been stopped wasn't as cocky as he makes out there...

Ah yes, the good old producer notice when all else fails by the police. :D

Yup, I managed to accumulate 14 in a week once! That'll teach me to go past a Police car with all 4 wheels off the ground.. :lol:

Ah yes, the good old producer notice when all else fails by the police. :D

I don't see the point of producers anymore. The police can just radio in and get all the info drom the DVLA. Well, that's what the officer did when I was caught speeding (91 in a 60 oops!).

Well you're correct about that. The whole point of a producer nowadays is just to piss about and waste your time.

More chance of being pulled in a red car Jim as they selected the colours as you are required to play in snooker so every alternate car stopped was a red until they had 7. Maybe they don't play snooker any more :)

It would be interesting to know what the copper's definition of sarcasm is as the guy he's having the exchange with is at no point actually being sarcastic.

I once broke down on the motorway at four in the morning, post-clubbing, and a passing and unsympathetic copper that stopped to survey the scene told me to 'shift it' (the car). I said that we'd clearly broken down and hadn't just pulled over for a dangerous roadside picnic. He said that I should shut up or he'd arrest me. I asked him what he'd arrest me for. He said:

'Being a tw@t.'

I said:

'That obviously isn't against the law or you'd be doing life.'

There was a pause when everyone - the guy, his colleague, everyone with me - seemed to hold their breath. I thought, what can charge me with - Grevious Bodily Backchat? Then he just told me to get it towed away sharpish or he'd do it for me and I'd be hit with the bill.

We hitched a cramped lift off a passing (old) Mini...

It would be interesting to know what the copper's definition of sarcasm is as the guy he's having the exchange with is at no point actually being sarcastic.

I once broke down on the motorway at four in the morning, post-clubbing, and a passing and unsympathetic copper that stopped to survey the scene told me to 'shift it' (the car). I said that we'd clearly broken down and hadn't just pulled over for a dangerous roadside picnic. He said that I should shut up or he'd arrest me. I asked him what he'd arrest me for. He said:

'Being a tw@t.'

I said:

'That obviously isn't against the law or you'd be doing life.'

There was a pause when everyone - the guy, his colleague, everyone with me - seemed to hold their breath. I thought, what can charge me with - Grevious Bodily Backchat? Then he just told me to get it towed away sharpish or he'd do it for me and I'd be hit with the bill.

We hitched a cramped lift off a passing (old) Mini...

Hahahaha! That actually made me laugh out loud!

when plod said about, well the sign can't be seen, so the 40 still applies - am sure thats wrong. If no repeater signs are shown after a certain distance and no street lights are about, then national applies - or so I've been told. Funny hyped story.