Sign in to follow this  
tim20vt

best wheel cleaner?

whats the best wheel cleaner to get sum bbs wheels thru the winter? does the acid type eat the laqure away,cheers :D

Mr NoCrap has found good results with Megiures stuff on BBS's but i'd say the key is to wax them over winter to stop brake dust sticking and corrosion...

Autoglym now sell an acid free wheel cleaner, in gallon form its simply called Acid Free Wheel Cleaner but in halfords etc it is know as Custom Wheel Cleaner and has a light blue label, its supposed to be very good considering its acid free.

Acid wheel cleaners are fine to use, maybe watered down a bit though, but just make sure you thoroughly rinse the wheels because otherwise the acid will eat away at the lacquer from behind where you cant see and then after a while will come round to the front.

Like said though, its a good idea to get some wheel wax and get a good coating of wax on them when they are clean before the winter, you will be able to just clean them with soapy water from then on as the dirt wont stick to them.

Meguiars hot rims is the dogs,spray on and watch crap literally run off before even washing the wheels.

And despite what a lot of people think,its safe to use on polished wheels.

Spray on wheels 1/2/3/4.

And then wash/rinse straight away where you started,wheel 1/2/3/4.

Supercharged has the right idea too 8) Use a polish,followed by a wax inside and out if minty enough...It ensures that you can remove the wheels at any time,wash them inside out,and still have a good finish.

With brand new wheels,they will simply stay brand new inside and out if you polish/wax,then keep on top by removing/washing/rewaxing now and again.

Neil.

I tend to use Autoglyms spray on acidic type stuff and just wash with a sponge / water and dry with an old autoglym artificial chamois. My wheels still look how they did when I got them pretty much a year ago.

cheers guys :D il get me sum wax i was gunna use sum different wheels but there now buckled and need to go in the bin.

any wax you use thats good gear? or is any wheel wax fine

I don't know what will clean them the best but i do know what will keep them in there best condition/away from the winter elements.....Jetseal 109..... best product going for wheels.

After cleaning, for protection ordinary furniture wax polish used to be regarded as perfect (before aerosols like Pledge became popular for household furniture).

I got a tin of this old style wax out of Sainsburys for pennies and often use it.

Many car cosmetic products are vastly overpriced IMO as we cannot resist them (Include me, too!)

Yes certainly can recommend the meguiars stuff, decided to save a couple of quid tho the other day though and chose some turtle nano tec stuff....not as good :(

I have used both the Megs and the Autoglym Orange label stuff and I find the Megs foams very nicely and does shift some gunk. The autoglym stuff is as good but as it does not foam as well it tends to run off a bit.

I did use some cheap stuff once and it ate the paint off the plastic centre caps a bit so I would never use it again.

try zymol wheel cleaner 100% natural its like a gel, as long as you get most the thick stuff off first its good stuff.At £18 for 650ml its not cheap, i then use the zymol wheek wax to finish off.

Anybody suggest something to remove a bit of overspray on a set of alloys?

Bit reluctant to try anything and ruin the alloys as there in really good knick.

Any help appreciated. :D

megs hot rims used to keep my bbs mint wiothout damaging them!

I like the Hot Rims cleaner compared to others I have tried, foams really nicely too.