Yandards

Yandards' Nugget G60 - gone but not forgotten..

I just fitted the LED sidelights to my Golf and they do look really good. 8)

I also bought some LED number plate lights too and they are excellent.

The white light is so much more up to date than the old orange/brown colours

what are the LED's for the number plates? really like the sound of them

I did the LED thing last year and in winter, and, they're OK. Not brilliant. Be aware that in the summer with direct sunlight on them, you can barely see the brake and indicators at all.

If you run LED indicators, you do need resistors, or a special relay to put some load on the flasher circuit, otherwise they won't blink.

Not that keen on LED side lights. I prefer the period orangey glow, but each to our own :D

As for H4s and H3s, has to be 100W bulbs. Completely illegal, but nothing comes close :D But don't do what I did and compare them without the engine running, as you will be slightly dissapointed :lol:

Buger.

After a couple of weeks of odd things happening when starting the car it now won't start.

I suspect the battery is dead but I also have a feeling the starter motor may be on the way out, oh well charge it and see what happens next...

Nice.

Are you keeping both the and the 16vG60?

Yarp, g60 is supposed to be the daily though..

have you changed the bulb holders or bought 233 led sidelight bulbs? instead of 501?? im sure when i went to change mine to led they were 233 (push & twist) and not standard push in ones.. perhaps i just am a cock and didnt look properly :D

have you changed the bulb holders or bought 233 led sidelight bulbs? instead of 501?? im sure when i went to change mine to led they were 233 (push & twist) and not standard push in ones.. perhaps i just am a cock and didnt look properly :D

Nope stayed with standard bulb holders.

Had a good go at the paintwork yesterday, attacked it with a rotary polisher and some G9 cutting compound. This was my first proper go at using the rotary and it took me a while to get used to the way the G9 worked. By the end of the process I had shifted a lot of the oxidisation that was coming through and learned a lot about the use of the rotary.

Unfortunately it rained overnight so I didn't get to carry on with the job and had to pick off all the damp masking tape. Ordered some different polishing/finishing compounds to try out as well as a more appropriate selection of applicator pads for the rotary to use.

No pictures as of yet as it's not finished and the weather is dire but I am reasonably pleased with the work so far, just need to get another good weekend to finish it off.

Time for an update me thinks.

I have been done in the flat country on a course for the last 5 weeks so thought it would be a good opportunity to do some work on the nugget that I had been planning and abuse Supercharged's accomodation and facilities.

So a little over a week ago I set about swapping the existing original head for a shinny new ported item along with some reconditioned injectors, a shot blasted and then dip cleaned inlet manifold, a painted exhaust manifold, a new injector loom and a 3.5b FPR.

To cut a long story short the new head is not quite right, I am in the process of speaking to the company concerned so don't want to say any more on that until it's resolved one way or another. So after removing the old head, fitting the new one, removing the new one and then cleaning up and refitting the old one it was a long weekend. Post rebuild we did a quick time up by could not do the CO setting as I didn't have my meter with me. Many thanks to Steve for the pair of hands and Jim for the stealth bumming of Steve (see photo) over that weekend.

I had originally planned a trip to the DG facility post head fit to get one of their G60 maps as I figured with all the mods on the car I was on the limits of the original mapping. So despite the original head being fitted and the fact that the car was running badly (cutting out at junctions, overfuelling etc) I confirmed with DG that I was still coming over.

On arriving on Friday Dave soon discovered that I had cross-connected the MFA and MAP airlines on the back of the throttle body which wasn't helping the poor running. We soon had the mapping gear on the car and a quick test run early on Friday evening had me smiling.

Saturday was into the mapping proper and within an hour of on the road stuff including a trip for some super unleaded it was all done and dusted, just an EEPROM to flash and the ECU to refit.

So the killer question is what's it like now?

Without any hesitation the car is now driving better than it has (in terms of engine performance and behaviour) than it has at point since I have owned it, no more digilag, a nice pull from low down all the way to the new redline of 6800rpm (standard pulley) with the ISV doing it's boost return bleed from 6200 rpm upwards. I can without hesitation recommend this for any G60 owner, it is so much more drivable and thanks to the variations in G60 build (some engines make more power than others) it really needs custom tweaks to get the fuelling right under acceleration.

As for power output I don't know if its any quicker or not without a rolling road before or after, my bum dyno says faster but the car is so much more responsive and drivable at all throttle positions and frankly that's what it's all about for me. Given the shear range of mods and tweaks you can do to a G60 a custom map is a must to get the most from it. Dave showed me the acceleration AFR logging from the wideband before and after, it's now a nice almost flat line at WOT instead of jumping up and down all over the place, only shame is I know it would have been better with head.

Please find some random photos from the head weekend and a couple from DG yesterday.

Good to see you last weekend and yesterday mate!

I had been planning and abuse Supercharged's accomodation and facilities

Heh... you're not kidding. Don't think Steve will forget that experience for a while.

Many thanks to Jim for the stealth bumming of Steve

:luvlove:

Shame about the head Yan, will you fit it when rectified, or leave her as she is?

Good to see you last weekend and yesterday mate!

I had been planning and abuse Supercharged's accomodation and facilities

Heh... you're not kidding. Don't think Steve will forget that experience for a while.

That's 4 days of my life I'll never see again... :lol:

Although I could do a G60 head gasket with my eyes closed now I don't want to see another headless G60 on my drive ever again!!

Many thanks to Jim for the stealth bumming of Steve

:luvlove:

Shame about the head Yan, will you fit it when rectified, or leave her as she is?

No point in having it not to fit it, I will be getting touch with the company when I get back home as I need to get some decent measurements.

I was hoping for 68mm pulley levels of power on a standard pulley with that head fitted, especially given my charge cooler and boost pipework being nice and free flowing but it's going to be a classic case of wait and see now.

Jesus mate, too cheap!

Sell that shed of a VR and keep the mellow yellow!

Heh maybe, VR shed needs a bit more work to get rid and an MOT would be useful, quite like to try my hand at painting that and see how it comes out, its not like it will get any worse!

You want another Corrado?

Complete lack of interest on the sale front, is it too expensive or is it just that I am a million miles from civilisation that is putting folks off?

Honest comments below please..

Just the economic climate !

Have you got it advertised elsewhere ?

i agree, people are getting small engines and scared of petrol prices!! im after an integra dc5 and seen the same ones for sale for about a year!! crazy

Have you stuck it on Pistonheads Classifieds mate? Having seen some of the threads on there, people will travel for the right cars!

Agh poop, only just seen this... I think it's most likely a mixture of location and the current market. It's a shame but I think the price is more than fair... You could try advertising on Svag but they ask for a membership fee I think, or piston heads obviously. But I think your just too far away. Tis a shame your selling though but I suppose with the 16v going and the VR to fix you don't need the extra hassle of a third corrado.

You could swap it for a nice black g60... I know one that would do you a treat ;)

Sent from my iPhone you lemon!

i agree, people are getting small engines and scared of petrol prices!! im after an integra dc5 and seen the same ones for sale for about a year!! crazy

Yeah but they are all asking £10k for 10 year old examples. No wonder! :D Not even Corrado's were that bad back in the day.