Yandards

Yandards' Nugget G60 - gone but not forgotten..

Well got the beast home in the early hours of Sunday morning after 21 hours and 900 miles of travelling.

Bit of background, I am the 4th owner, father then son owned until June this year, quite a few bills all at VW and after changing the brake fluid today it all come out nice and clean. Its just about to tick over to 86k on a 91 J plate so well under the average mileage. Looks like the car has lived outside all its life but is in good condition otherwise. Charger is in need of a rebuilt as it has not been touched yet but pulls strongly at the moment.

Got a few niggles to sort out (drivers door handle needs lock retumbling even though VW changed it) heater does not blow hot (not heater matrix, metal selector valve thingy in engine bay) n/s rear damper is leaking (Its the original one so its done well) a new set of exhaust rubbers are well overdue and some paint related loving activities would really bring it up.

Overall after poking around in detail today it is an excellent car and in a really good state.

Only the one pic as it was getting late, jetwashed then washed and to finish some Autoglym SRP. Really needs a good going over with a claybar as I have not had that much drag on a polishing pad for years!

Edited by Yandards

I love it. Nice work Yan! You seem to be owning a lot of my favourite colour corrados....

Nice buy :) Always liked Nugget Yellow!

Don't know i'd ditch a VR for a G though ;)

Nice buy :) Always liked Nugget Yellow!

Don't know i'd ditch a VR for a G though ;)

Done the VR thing mate and I can say that I didn't like living with one, I just find they don't handle as well as the 4 cylinder cars - the extra weight and the suspension bodge to get the extra lower track width is just enough to upset the balance IMHO. *Dons flamesuit in anticipation of comments*

Looks and sounds rather tidy Yan! Digging the front bumper mod too - pimpin' 8) :lol:

Er, that'll be the where do I dump my cloth while I am taking pictures mod. Managed to get the front grill out of shot ok though.

I will say that the local mosi population seems to like sitting on it.

*Dom, please insert comment about flies around poo here*

Very nice Yan.. so what's the plans for this (apart from the charger beening serviced and the suspension dropping)?

No dropping, going to leave it factory as there are so few cars running factory anything anymore. I suppose the issue is that as far as I can tell no-one has put factory suspension back on to see how it does, would be nice to get the comparison.

The only things I will consider are a CNC standard size 8v head, a port to the TB, a light gasket port to the exhaust manifold and a port, but no pulley, on the charger. All stuff that is completely un-noticable from the outside but that will give the engine a bit more breathing room.

Very nice Yan.. so what's the plans for this (apart from the charger beening serviced and the suspension dropping)?

No dropping, going to leave it factory as there are so few cars running factory anything anymore. I suppose the issue is that as far as I can tell no-one has put factory suspension back on to see how it does, would be nice to get the comparison.

The only things I will consider are a CNC standard size 8v head, a port to the TB, a light gasket port to the exhaust manifold and a port, but no pulley, on the charger. All stuff that is completely un-noticable from the outside but that will give the engine a bit more breathing room.

I can give you feed back on standard VAG suspension. First job when I bought mine was standard brakes and suspension replacement from VW. Which included discs, calipers, drop links, wishbones, struts, topmounts, bumpstops. Springs were not changed and pads were gsf-pagid. The difference was night and day with a bbs 15" wheel refurb and a set of eagle F1s the car handles very well and is better than a lot of newer cars I have driven over undulating rough roads ( I live near a strech of farm land called "The Moss" and the roads tend to get very uneven). When I bought my car the intention was to keep it stock but I have found myself sticking bits on to make it go faster, oh and then a gearbox to cope with with additional power. So my engine bay is no longer stock. I have to say though it goes round corners in 2nd gear with plenty of traction and I can even get a bit of sideways drift if I really throw it into a corner. I think alot of people buy old corrados and the first thing thats done is big wheels and lower suspension but they will never know how good they are stock. It was one of the reasons I bought a corrado G60 and was party why I wanted to do the suspension first. It's a daily car as well so I don't want to compromise on the ride as for high speed stability it's just amazing but a working rear wing is a must I have to say. I have since replaced the brake bias as my car tried to kill me backwards and the rear beam bushes have been replaced, again VW stuff. The g60 front calipers were replaced a couple of months ago with S2 twin pots, this was also due to the extra power, but you have to look close to notice them.

I can give you feed back on standard VAG suspension. First job when I bought mine was standard brakes and suspension replacement from VW. Which included discs, calipers, drop links, wishbones, struts, topmounts, bumpstops. Springs were not changed and pads were gsf-pagid. The difference was night and day with a bbs 15" wheel refurb and a set of eagle F1s the car handles very well and is better than a lot of newer cars I have driven over undulating rough roads ( I live near a strech of farm land called "The Moss" and the roads tend to get very uneven). When I bought my car the intention was to keep it stock but I have found myself sticking bits on to make it go faster, oh and then a gearbox to cope with with additional power. So my engine bay is no longer stock. I have to say though it goes round corners in 2nd gear with plenty of traction and I can even get a bit of sideways drift if I really throw it into a corner. I think alot of people buy old corrados and the first thing thats done is big wheels and lower suspension but they will never know how good they are stock. It was one of the reasons I bought a corrado G60 and was party why I wanted to do the suspension first. It's a daily car as well so I don't want to compromise on the ride as for high speed stability it's just amazing but a working rear wing is a must I have to say. I have since replaced the brake bias as my car tried to kill me backwards and the rear beam bushes have been replaced, again VW stuff. The g60 front calipers were replaced a couple of months ago with S2 twin pots, this was also due to the extra power, but you have to look close to notice them.

To be honest compared with my valver and aside from the knackered rear damper she is handling really well. I figure I will probably end up going down the same route to you, a few un-noticable engine tweaks to realise a bit more power through improved breathing and that will be it.

Nice find there mate. As everyone else has said, loving the Nugget yellow! 8)

Ah yeah but how many of us would honestly live with a Nugget?

Think I would TBH.. then again I'm not considered "Normal" :lol: (says the man in the Ghey car!)

Think I would TBH.. then again I'm not considered "Normal" :lol: (says the man in the Ghey car!)

...and a beard.

...and a beard.

...and a collection of hats last seen in the YMCA video...

I'd love a nugget, but I don't look after the cars enough and it would be a shame to let me near them.

I'm also going for all new OE suspension. That's what the cars gained their handling reputation with after all...

...and a beard.

...and a collection of hats last seen in the YMCA video......

:offtopic: YMCA.jpg

Nice find Yan, i love the nuggets... good idea about the suspension if you can survive at that altitude! :D what wheels have you got on there?

...and a beard.

oi i'm currently sporting a beard and i find it very useful if i get peckish after lunch to retrive some of the food i missed :lol:

Nice find Yan, i love the nuggets... good idea about the suspension if you can survive at that altitude! :D what wheels have you got on there?

It's not too high on the Gs etc when compared to the late VRs, that and it stops me catching the front splitter as I back off the drive.

As for wheels they are made by a company called Fondmetal, 15 x 7 and after trying to do some digging they are quite unusual wheels, 4000 series ones but they have had the centres painted gloss black and the rims polished up.

Got some bits fixed today.

Changed all the zorst rubbers for new ones, some of them look like they have been on there since it left the factory!

Swapped out the rear pair of dampers, N/S one was leaking, the back end of the car felt all weeble like going over bumps. Going to do an extensive picture filled 'How to' when I can log back into the KB for rear suspension stuff. Gone for a set of sachs dampers and all Febi bits as I intend to redo all the suspension on the car in about a year or so and want to fit all new bits in one hit. Have to see how it all wears but as Sachs supply VW I expect the dampers to be ok, just be interested to see how the top mounts do.

Changed the heater scuttle seal and fitted a jetex pollen filter.

Changed the fuel filter, also got loads of pics so again a 'How to' for the knowledge base will go in for the G60s.

Got to sort out a new front engine mount as it is long gone but want to do the charger swap, oil change etc at the same time, got a spare set of charger brackets etc so will shot blast them and fit some shinny stuff whilst I am at it.