Yandards

Yandards' Nugget G60 - gone but not forgotten..

The G60 has had some major surgery recently as it was all due, quick list of jobs done and some pics to go with it.

New:

Cambelt and tensioner

Charger belt

Charger idler wheels

Charger belt tensioner/damper

Charger oil feed and return lines

Rebuilt standard charger

BBM RSR outlet kit

BBM Boost pipe kit

BBM billet front mount

VAG gearbox balance weight

Windage tray

Sump

Dizzy cap and rotor arm

HT leads

Belt pulley arch liner plastic cover

Gearbox oil change

Refurbed Bits:

Ported and knife edged TB

Charger brackets shot blasted and painted

Intercooler flushed out and blown through

Since owning the car I have also changed the brake fluid (2 litres worth) fitted a pair of new rear dampers + top mounts, swapped the heater control valve for one that works, coolant flush, replaced some bulbs in the dash, changed the speakers, replaced all the little blue badge grommets, fitted a fusebox cover as it was missing, replaced all the exhaust rubbers, applied a lot of sticky felt to bits of trim, replaced a lot of trim clips that the alarm 'fitters' broke, fitted some door lock mech cover caps, cleaned it a bit, fitted some headlight lense protectors, changed the headunit, new fuel filter, changed the scuttle seal and fitted a pollen filter.

Its now acquired a slight blow on the exhaust until it gets up to temp, think its a pipe joint. Still need to run the charger in and double check the timing is correct, spent a couple of afternoons/evenings getting the idle and mixture set-up properly with a gas analyser. Front top mounts need doing, going to to do front wishbones and ball joints at the same time. Also have to track down some more squeaks and rattles but expect them all to be down to the lack of clips due to alarm fitters. Front coolant flange has started seeping so that needs addressing and a refurbed CNC head is on the cards over the next year as the headgasket could do with being done before it fails (it is 17 years old after all)

Had to run through a full set of G60 diagnostic procedures after I rebuilt it as it would not start, turned over fine but on checking no spark. After a lengthy process including a new battery (old one was dead due to belt slip with old tensioner) I narrowed it down to the hall sender on the dizzy. When I took the dizzy out the pin holding the drive gear onto the shaft was sheared so that would explain the lack of spark. Fortunately I still have the written off MK 2 Golf out the front so I robbed the dizzy from that.

The car now makes less noise as I refitted the OEM boost return pipe, looking into a Forge blow off valve for the BBM kit so I can run the ISV reroute. No more charger belt squeal and the gearbox weight makes a massive difference as it did when I fitted one to my valver.

Link to video to show just how badly worn the charger damper/tensioner was:

Corrado conversion V2 (3).pdfexterior.JPG[/attachment:5ynmds7k]Book1.pdfbefore.JPG[/attachment:5ynmds7k]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfengine bay stripped.JPG[/attachment:5ynmds7k]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfworn damper.JPG[/attachment:5ynmds7k]ETKA Corrado.pdfgearbox weight.JPG[/attachment:5ynmds7k]Corrado92.pdfnew brkts.JPG[/attachment:5ynmds7k]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfpulley arm.JPG[/attachment:5ynmds7k]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdftb knife edge.JPG[/attachment:5ynmds7k]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfbelt on.JPG[/attachment:5ynmds7k]rebuilt.JPG[/attachment:5ynmds7k] :bad-words:

Indeed an impressive amount of work there Yan, wish i could do that sort of thing too! looking forward to seeing it sometime.

Nice, have you noticed much difference with the BBM pipework on? the BBM charger exhaust replacement fitting is on my shopping list this month :D and was wondering if the metal pipes are woth it too?

Nice, have you noticed much difference with the BBM pipework on? the BBM charger exhaust replacement fitting is on my shopping list this month :D and was wondering if the metal pipes are worth it too?

Thanks for all the comment folks, it will be paying a visit to BVF later this year, hopefully with some original wheels on it.

Not sure about the improvements of the RSR outlet and metal boost pipes, as I need to run the charger in so its strictly below 3k at the moment and no full throttle at all.

I will say that the car is much quieter inside as it had a boost return deletion before, the boost pipes and RSR are both well made items and even if there is little performance to be gained from them they are much less likely to leak or split that the OE plastic items. I am confident the RSR outlet does give an improvement to flow and the pipes should too as they maintain a conistant diameter through the system unlike the OE ones.

The other advantage with the BBM pipe kit is that you can run the ISV into the boost pipe but still provide a 'safety' element by using the optional forge blow off valve, its on my list of desirable stuff to do. Oh and the pipes are not satin black normally, I painted them that colour to keep it a bit more OE looking.

looking good, bet getting all that together cost a pretty penny lol, do you do all the work yourself or get a garage to do it?

Cool, im definately after changing the stock plastic pipework as my charger exhaust box is definately leaking boost (as they all do i suppose!) and i hear ya on the other pipes, under boost you can see/feel them change shape!

oh well i guess some more £ going on my car soon then! To be fair any improvements under the bonnet are worth it in the long run imo, vw would have used metal pipes if the car wasnt sold on a budget im sure!

Sold on a budget, more like made on 1, thats why not so many were sold due to the high end price tag.

sold on a budget refered to £ build cost and profit making, ie, they would have used metal pipework but the build cost would go up and profit down :D

And Yandards...its ALL your fault! i just been on BBM website and ordered the LOT! RSR, intercooler pipework and even a set of the red BBM ht leads!

looking good, bet getting all that together cost a pretty penny lol, do you do all the work yourself or get a garage to do it?

All myself, too fussy about the engineering to let a garage do it, a full collection of VAG workshop manuals and the diagnostic ECU leads for all the 'rados along with VAG-COM means I can use the fault finding procedures in the manuals too.

Got most tools these days including a gas annalyser for setting the CO2, if I had a double garage then I would be offering my services for about a tenner an hour.

Bits were not too expensive, robbed a lot of parts from the engine conversion for now and the boost pipes were bought s/h from here. Got spare t/bs laying around so I got that done and just swapped them over. Biggest cost this time was the idlers and belt damper.

More bits done to the G over the weekend.

Rocker cover gasket and front coolant flange were replaced as they both seeping.

Re-checked the timing and it was 180 degrees out, I have spent sometime looking into the best way to time a G60, expect some pics and words when I get chance.

Had to replace the hose to the ECU from the TB, did the TB to carbon can one whilst I was at it too.

Fitted a new piece of hose that comes from the end of the fuel rail onto the fuel pump run on switch as it was looking a bit nasty.

Re-timed it and then tried to set the CO and idle up, idle is ok but I am not convinced the CO is correct, it seems to have developed an exhaust blow in the downpipe area but I cant see any obvious signs of leaks.

Did some investigation on the rear suspension as I was getting a clunking going over bumps, turns out is was the spare wheel not being fitted but I did stick some extra felt on the rear parcel shelf supports whilst they were off so not a completely wasted effort.

Had the arch liners out the front and cleaned them up and then covered them in some fresh wax.

Might have another look at the CO again tomorrow.

wish i had the talent and equipment to do it all like you are :) i can do most basic things like change filter brakes suspension etc, only thing that stops me is time off work :) 1 day a week isnt alot when you rely on our weather

wish i had the talent and equipment to do it all like you are :) i can do most basic things like change filter brakes suspension etc, only thing that stops me is time off work :) 1 day a week isnt alot when you rely on our weather

Tell me about it, I spent most of Saturday laying on a wet driveway :(

Weather has stopped play today, wanted to get the head of the Golf this morning but I am not laying in puddles again this week.

Another random set of jobs ticked off the list today.

Sorted the seat belts out, the front ones were not returning very well, so had to adjust a few bits.

Took the rear quarter cards out and covered the space between the inner and outer rear arch in wax - its oozing out of the bottom of the sill so thats only a good thing.

Sorted some more of the very shoddy job the alarm fitters did, hopefully a few less squeaks now. Worked out why the sunroof cover panel was rattling - it was missing a screw :cuckoo:

Nice one.

Sounds like she is going to be immaculate once your finished.

:)

for the love of christ finish the g6016v :lol:

After a month down the flat part of the country that is Norfolk with my weekends spent working on a certain other mods not running/running with MOT/not running G60 I am pleased to say that the car is running well. Was getting some very healthy fuel economy on my travel from Norfolk to Woodbridge, even squeezing 10 miles to the litre out of the car on a regular basis (Or about 45 MPG).

A trip to the Toad's on the Saturday prior to Stonor Park was interupted by a visit to G-Werks for the charger to be split and checked, massive thank you to Daz for doing this at no notice what so ever as the place I had booked into let me down :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: . The report on the charger was that the overall condition was good and despite no wear on the apex seals I got those swapped over for the softer ones that G-Werks use.

Despite the car obviously running well it does feel a little flat, as there are very few OE G60s still running around it will be difficult to make a comparison to see if this is the norm or not, I would like to find a way to get the boost temps down without resorting to bigger intercoolers which in turn should help with the oil temps running at around 120-130 C at motorway speeds.

I can also recommend Castrol Edge 5W-30, the car has not used a drop of oil despite the 2000 miles it has done in the last month and it certainly seems to reduce and start-up hyd tappet noise (although tappet noise is ok up until the engine has fully warmed up according to VW) and the fuel economy is much better than when running Synta Silver.

Balls.

Got in the car last night to come home and it wouldnt start, starter is cranking well, plenty of go in the battery put fuel pump is not priming. I did have some slight issues when I was down south with it but swapped the fuel pump relay over for an old one of Superchargeds. Gave the relay a good flick, checked the HT leads were seated correctly etc and tried for half and hour to get the fuel pump to run - no joy so it was phone my better half and grovel for a lift (at 23:45!)

Need to check the pump is getting power but if it is then its time for a new one - another £150 down the tubes for a new OEM one. Arse.

To cap it all off I get home and check ETOS for a price and pump number etc only to have the house lights fuse go, change the wire it goes again - my guess is the fecking mice I cant get rid of in the garage have eaten the wiring :? :( :brickwall:

Only light at the end of this tunnel is that the new fuel pump (if it needs one) might well help me the 'flat' feel to the car under WOT.

Its not the ecu relay is it?

the ecu has to ground pin 85 on the fp relay to get the fp to prime/run.

Nope the ISV is buzzing, only place ISV gets a signal from is the ECU therefore the relay must be working ok.