Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Sometimes I just wish the C was a bit nippier :(

Absolutely agree with the monkey tbh, well said - the 16v really is the exact opposite of a sleeper! sort of like a sheep in wolves clothing :lol:

That's not to say that it cant be a really enjoyable car to own/drive though, pretty much everything else about the car is fantastic apart from the hengine, id still far rather own a valver than the vast majority of other cars ont he road whether they're faster or not

I wish my g60 was faster, but I think that wont change no matter how much I increase it I will always want more :D

But for off the lights fun the best thing I have done is the VR 1st n 2nd and with the KW's on now I haven't ended up facing the wrong way on a dual carrage way round about :nuts:

don't go bringing your "ohhhhh my G is so slow" posts in here Sir! :bad-words:

you don't know slow if you haven't driven a valver :eek:

*consoles Jim*

I am thinking of going to turbo way , you seam to get good gains for the money put in , can you change the crank to get the lower comp ratio? i dont want this thicker head spacer thing if i can help it , i have the money waiting in my account :grin: .

group buy sounds good

Ash

Today I came off an A road slip road to a roundabout - the left lane always has a bit of a queue (10 or so cars) so to$$ers always go into the right hand lane, and then cut you up to get in front of you to take the first exit. It really frustrates me - as the more i've tried to become a careful and generally passive driver, the sheer amount of arrogant w4nkers on the road has shocked me.

I use a roundabout exactly like that every morning and the same thing happens. Whilst I 100% support the "Why sit in the left lane when the right lane is clear?" ethos, I am at heart consisderate and don't like upsetting [easily upsettable] UK drivers, so I go round the roundabout for a quiet life!

Which tbh, is no real hardship in a Corrado with decent suspension to as I can get back round again pretty quickly :lol:

As with 3 lane motorways, roundabouts seem to be a free-for-all these days, people just pick and choose which ever bit of road spaces suits them with no consideration for anyone else. Since there are only 'guidelines' about lane discipline, it's about setting a precedent for others, but no one gives f'ck anymore. Just too many people with an inflated sense of self importance, riding in their safe little steel shells.

It's clearly a major problem in this country. Every car forum I go on contains 100s of 10+ page threads on road behaviour. But as usual, the authorities sit back and do nothing to calm the situation.

So today some guy in a new shape TT convertible comes along side me at the front of the queue and it's pretty bloody obvious just looking at him that he'll try and cut me up

Aye, you can spot them a mile away :lol:

and whilst the weedy valver is trying to fill its lungs, the TT is already on boost and has cut in front of me.

Awww, give your car a break mate :lol: If that was a 2.0 TFSI Audi, then it's making full boost at 1800rpm chap, so regardless of it's size and weight, it will muller you off the lights. Your engine doesn't produce peak torque until gone 4000rpm. Plus it's about 24 degrees out there and one thing Valvers dont' like is thin, low pressure air in it's lungs.

Sorry, but that's just the stark reality of how quick turbo engines are :lol:

Personally, with a clear mismatch like that, I'd have let him get on with it, but these days I do find that a lot of "BMW drivers" have moved onto Audis. These little rep twats in their 2.0 TDI A3s think they have ferraris :roll:

I really envy the supercharged (and turbo) VR6 boys, simply to put cnuts like that guy in his place.

Oh yes, I love giving people like that a complete hiding with midrange punch. I love seeing them edge closer to my bumper as the car in front starts to pull over....then I gas it and they're 10 car lengths behind before they know what's hit them.....then I slow down to 85 and think, "wanna try that again sunshine?". Usually they pull in behind and save their dignity :lol:

I don't go looking for it, but when it finds me, I will certainly fight back :wink:

Turbo route is so tempting - especially after looking at Dec's Corrado. I love my 16v, but would love more power (But then again, everyone may feel this regardless of their cars power). After I sort out my brake upgrade, suspension and new CVs, I think I shall source a 2.0L bottom end with some kind of aftermarket exhust manifold (Milltek perhaps?) - I think thats a good base to start with anyway without resorting to finding a complete new engine :o

Turbo route is so tempting - especially after looking at Dec's Corrado. I love my 16v, but would love more power (But then again, everyone may feel this regardless of their cars power). After I sort out my brake upgrade, suspension and new CVs, I think I shall source a 2.0L bottom end with some kind of aftermarket exhust manifold (Milltek perhaps?) - I think thats a good base to start with anyway without resorting to finding a complete new engine :o

If you want to 2.0l bottom end your valver, source an ABF, as it is the best base for the 16v Turbo. The 9a although ok, is a short block and suffers from piston slap and ovalisation of the bore. The long rods of the ABF helps address that problem. The cam's in the ABF are also better...even than the KR cams.

Don't buy a Milltek manifold if you're gonna go turbo! Else you'll be selling it again pretty sharpish :lol:

How much extra HP & torque would you get with a turbo then ?

How long is a piece of string! Depends totally on spec! Seen some Americans get 500horses...seen a valver on a dyno with 1000horses. Most conversions I've seen put out between 230-350. As soon as you get above 300, it starts to get expensive.

250BHP would be more than enough to humble arrogant TT drivers ;)

No doubt if you turboed it though it would eat through the petrol like there was no tomorrow.

It wouldnt be just the turbo itself that would give you say 250-hp though - it would be considerable engine work too I assume?

As I've found out myself, it's a hell of a lot more work that I initially anticipated!.....actually bolting the turbo and pipework on is only a tiny fraction of the work that needs to be done! There'a a lot of custom made parts that need to be made to actually get everything to even fit together properly.

Put it this way, I've just spent £100(ish) on oil lines + fittings for the turbo as I wasn't completely happy with how the ones that were installed fitted. There are LOADS of small little components like that, which all add up!

Dec when you finnaly get done you should put up a list of what all you bought and how much it cost as a rough guide for people considering doing something similar.

Spend a little money on a cheep, tatty, 8v mk2 gti which covers those vital first yards as fast as anything on the road and hold your line. Im betting 25 grand TT gives way to 500 pound golf. If he does not then you have a crash at slow speed, he/she gets a messed up car and buys you another one as hes/shes in the wrong according to the highway code.

As I've found out myself, it's a hell of a lot more work that I initially anticipated!.....actually bolting the turbo and pipework on is only a tiny fraction of the work that needs to be done! There'a a lot of custom made parts that need to be made to actually get everything to even fit together properly.

Absolutely :wink:

Spend a little money on a cheep, tatty, 8v mk2 gti which covers those vital first yards as fast as anything on the road and hold your line. Im betting 25 grand TT gives way to 500 pound golf. If he does not then you have a crash at slow speed, he/she gets a messed up car and buys you another one as hes/shes in the wrong according to the highway code.
hear hear :salute: getting off the line and going round corners is definitely most of the fun and a car that weighs nothing does that a treat :)

Belfast, there is a whole thread on F/I 16v engines with a few ballpark cost figures from some people.

Also, the increase in power generated by the engine is purely down to the air pressure increase: A turbo is just a facilitator :salute:

Also, the increase in power generated by the engine is purely down to the air pressure increase: A turbo is just a facilitator :salute:

I think you mean volume of air (or maybe mass) rather than air pressure.

In an open system such as this wouldn't an increase in air pressure also generate an increase in volume (or mass) flow rate?

'chargers increase air pressure which means there are more air molecules in a given space (the combustion cylinder) at any one time.

It's not like i'm saying that compressing gas in a sealed container increases it's mass is it :roll:

Please do elaborate if I am wrong! :shrug:

I think you mean volume of air (or maybe mass) rather than air pressure.

Basically, Pressure=Mass/Volume :dorky: It's all related, no?

Given that the maximum volume of the cylinder is fixed, you have to 'up' the pressure to get more air mass inside, so it's the increased pressure that stuffs more air into the cylinder, allowing more petrol to be burned for more power output... or am I wrong? :shrug:

The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't really matter, but for those interested, it is the increased pressure in F/I systems that forces more air mass inside, so the pressure is the cause and the increased air mass in the cylinder is the result.

Until someone invents an 'air magnet' that attracts all available oxygen atoms together, we'll be stuck with physically pushing the blighters closer together by brute force. :roll:

While it's true that an increase in pressure will generally lead to an increase in air, it's the extra air itself that allows the extra fuel to be burned. Pressure is just a 'facilitator', as you put it, in the equation.

I'm just stating the obvious, much like in previous posts.

While it's true that an increase in pressure will generally lead to an increase in air, it's the extra air itself that allows the extra fuel to be burned. Pressure is just a 'facilitator', as you put it, in the equation.

I'm just stating the obvious, much like in previous posts.

one kinda implies the other though really mate..

Thats why these engines use MAP sensor(amongst other things) to to calculate how much air is in the engine.

It would be really nice if I could post on a thread without getting pedantic replies.

Don't think it's too much to ask really. :shrug: