Sign in to follow this  
carpoid

Anyone tried these Red Rear Light Tints

Excellent, cheers for that flusted.

I got the bulbs too.

I got the red films from the states, didn't like them though, so i've had to order some savage spray tint from Larkspeed in the UK cos i couldn't find it anywhere in Australia.

sorry just flicking through, but if you have access to a spray gun and compressor you can add a small amount of red gloss paint to clear lacquer, i did this to a mk2 golf gti and it worked just build up the coats but dont go mad.

hope it helps???

I went ahead and bought some of these orange 'LED bulbs' for my C as I recently tinted the indicators. Got them today and fitted one side to compare with the standard bulb...it didn't match the standard bulb at all.

I admit that my tint is particularly heavy but the LED is less orange and noticeably darker...there goes my hope of MOT passable tints...I think...good job I have a spare set of lights to swap out just incase!!!

Is everyone else finding these LED lights a good buy?

I also bought a white set for the reverse lights and the same as above applies...gutted! :/

My tints on the rear light are pretty dark as well, and my led bulbs work brilliant, really shines through orange. i need some white ones now for reverse cause i literally can see nothing when i reverse

Can't say I've had any problems at all!

Which bulbs did you buy VR6-phil? Crappy ones won't do you any favours. They MUST be ultra bright and have a serious amount of LEDs.

My tints are relatively dark... but this shows that it makes little difference with the right bulbs. yes, OK, it's not exactly light outside, but you get the message!

th_MVI_0105.jpg

Oh, and this is the easist way of fitting resistors.

led004kc5.jpg

Make sure you cut the surface back a little on the metal before you solder otherwise it won't stick due to oxidisation (I assume)... roughening it up a bit seems to work :)

Which bulbs did you buy VR6-phil? Crappy ones won't do you any favours. They MUST be ultra bright and have a serious amount of LEDs.

I bought the ones mentioned in this thread (page 3) from some chap on eBay, they do have a good few LEDs on them and are supposed to be ultra bright...I did forget to mention that my tints are black however...just realised my possible downfall!!! :brickwall:

What does the resistor do exactly? (think I might be getting confused here) My bulbs seem to function fine, just not as bright as I would wish.

No issues at all with the flash timing, exactly the same as the standard bulb.

Do you find the aceparts ones to be radically brighter than bulbs?

Yeah. i'll take some pics tomorrow if i get time. i still have the original bulbs so i'll put one in to compare. with the original bulbs my indicators flashed bright enough, but was a bright red. Now they are amber!

You ideally need to go with LED bulbs that also have side/rear facing bulbs...They then bounce light off the standard reflector.

Normal LED bulbs will solely depend on firing light out of the light unit, thats when you tend to end up with a circle of duller light.

ledbulb2.jpg

Neil.

Like I said, I did get the ones shown here:

1157_30led6.jpg

They have multi-directional LEDs and light the indicator area evenly, just not very brightly and with not quite as much colour as the 'normal' bulb. Is it just me that doesn't seem to be getting on with these LED bulbs...probably my tinting is to blame when it comes down to it!

Looking at them id say they don't have enough forward facing led's...led's are pretty directional. So really you need the main part pointing forward, and definately some pointing sideways/backwards.

Yours look to have resistors already fitted.

Neil.

Neil, I see your point, but having compared these "tower" bulbs to a set of bulbs exactly like the ones you've detailed above, I can tell you that the former are far superior becuase the illumination completely floods the entire inside of the light unit. You can see the result in the video I posted!

I think maybe the severity of the tints on Phil's lights is causing the problem... meaning that an incandescent may do a better job.. in terms of brightness anyway.

There are different amount of leds on these bulbs in the guys auctions, i went with the highest ammount of leds. Think this is where people may be going wrong.

need to be 30

So it seems unless I sand back the tint a little I am not going to get the result I was after with these LED bulbs...

Anyone interested in buying them from me? I have two orange ones (indicators) and two white ones (reversing, slightly different design to that pictured).

Looking at them id say they don't have enough forward facing led's...led's are pretty directional. So really you need the main part pointing forward, and definately some pointing sideways/backwards.

Yours look to have resistors already fitted.

Neil.

Hey Neil

How can you tell they have resistors fitted already?

I also bought these LED bulbs on Ebay and fitted them today. They flash orange no problem through my red lights which I recently painted with several layers of tint, but they need resistors as they are flashing at twice the speed they should.

I will buy the white ones for the reverse lights next.....heres a pic of how red my lights are, and the orange shines through no problem

0014.jpg

Like I said, I did get the ones shown here:

1157_30led6.jpg

They have multi-directional LEDs and light the indicator area evenly, just not very brightly and with not quite as much colour as the 'normal' bulb. Is it just me that doesn't seem to be getting on with these LED bulbs...probably my tinting is to blame when it comes down to it!

thats the ones a got, and the resistors,fitted them today, passenger side is fine, driver side still flashes quicker, but not as quick if resistor is fitted, could it be faulty?

i just fitted these bulbs in mine and my empire graphix all read rears flash orange 8)

1157_30led6.jpg

I also fitted the load resisitors so they flash at the corect rate, theres no need to solder them on, i just crimped a spade connector to the ends of the load resisitor and connected it to the rear of the bulb holder panel.

Its a relief to have orange indicators as im not worrying about people driving in to the back of me :lol:

Finally got around to doing mine, i ended up pin striping the indicator lens', they flash orange and look red from a couple of metres away ...

Imported Photos 00044.JPG[/attachment:yqflsnql]

I need to get some more of these bulbs but dont know wot to search for on ebay? other links expired

Search available to UK '30 LED' in car category