samthegram

samthegrams 2ltr 16v, now 180bhp!!

I am running a KR inlet but contemplating a set of ABF's as they have about another 1mm of lift over KR's although I am unsure about the effects of duration and overlap.

Anybody on here run ABF's in a 9a?

hi mate best valver i have seen its ace bet it goes well asweall

any chance you know what make the manifold was when u got it off ebay im after one but not sure what to get

raceland aparently are a bit dodgy so dont wannt go there if pos

any help wud be great

My K-jet 2L

153lb/ft at 5,700 whereas yours is about 145 at 6,000

but then different days different rolling roads, tyres etc, it's all a bit innacurate.

What happened to your torque curve! It's got a massive dip between 3-4000rpm, did Pacman take a bite out of it? What is that like to drive, does it hesitate or stutter?

KR cams and the 16v head, you can spot KR cams just from a torque plot :lol: - if you take a look at any KR plot you'll see the same trait.

No different on a 1.8, just less pronounced, having the flowed head and manifolds also makes it look worse as the post 4000 torque goes up even higher, I'm sure having the 42mm inlet boosts bottom end torque and the gas flowing boosts the top end.

On the road it's fine, the power curve is actually quite progressive, you might be able to address things a bit with EFI but it's hardly worth the effort really, there's certainly no go-flat-go if you accelerate from a standing start.

That's like saying a thermos will keep coffee hot and ice cream cold both at the same time. I'm pretty sure that if the 42mm is a restriction at top end, a gas flowed head really isn't going to improve the horses. If you want the best of both worlds, a variable inlet is probably the only way of doing it.

no, I meant it accounts for the low end torque when compared to a larger inlet fitted, the inlet is internally cleaned up and ported to the head and is not a restriction with the flowed head, if anything the KR cams start to become the limiting factor over 6000rpm.

If I stuck a 50mm inlet on the car (as I've seen done on a very similar spec engine) you might reduce the apparent torque dip a little (which I still reckon is down to mainly the KR cams) but what actually happens is you lose torque at the bottom end and gain very little right at the peak, you end up with a slightly smoother torque curve but less low down and not really gaining anything at all, what's a couple of bhp at 6,400rpm as opposed to 5-10lbft at 1000-3000?

The 16v heads do have quite distinctive traits flow-wise which they don't really loose even with posting and gas-flowing and the KR cams are a nice compromise for normal driving, find another KR cammed 16v plot and I bet you can see a similar graph.

I very nice car.

Mines a 9a which I rebuilt last year. Spec is:

2008cc IIRC (0.5mm rebore)

New pistons to suit re-bore.

Skimmed block purely for gasket sealing.

Man in the shed head.

KR spec cams.

42mm inlet tidied up internaly by me.

Std manifold, again tiedied internaly by me.

Magnex cat back exhuast with std cat.

Lightened flywheel.

Modded air box.

Jetex panel filter.

Tweeked original Ke-Motronic injection after alot of research and the addition of a wideband AFR gauge. According to the gauge I am now getting and AFR at full throttle ranging from 11.8 @ 2krpm to 13.2 @6.9krpm.

There is a Club GTI national 16v rolling road day on Sunday 24th April, which I will be taking part in, so we will see what it makes then.

I'm running ABF's but i still haven't RR'd it. I expect less than you though as i dont have high compression pistons.

Phil, you're running rich matey. Your AFR should be up in the 14:1 range.

From what I have read for power and safe running 12.5:1 seems to be the ideal for a normaly aspirated engine at full throttle.

Part throttle it is using the closed loop lambda system and constantly fluctuating between about 14.5:1 and 15.1:1.