samthegram

samthegrams 2ltr 16v, now 180bhp!!

Just read your build thread awesome looking car, can't wait to see the new wheels on it. :norty:

Got my wheels re-sized now so the rears are 8.5j with 205/40/16 and look perfect. It was interesting to do as i stripped down the old 7's , cleaned them up then re-assembled them using standard black silicion sealant. I bought some second hand compomotive 5" barrels from wheel whores and they fitted perfectly. It was a nice sense of acheivement when i picked them up from the tyre fitters and they said that they were not leaking :clap: Here are some piccies from Tatton Park yesterday, gleaming in the sun.

tatton093.jpg

tatton094.jpg

tatton096.jpg

tatton098.jpg

Cheers to my mate Sean for taking the shots.

Cheers everyone, here are some more shots of my caliper/rear beam winter rennovation project. These went on just prior to the new wheels.

The beam was shot blasted and zinc primed, then powdercoated. I then fitted some poly bushes. I wire brushed the hubs and brakes then painted them up with caliper paint. I also had EBC greenstuff pads fitted at the same time. So now all the underneath is clean and shiny :grin:

Sorry about the grainy images, took them with my phone.

rearbrake.jpg

rearbeam2.jpg

rearbeam.jpg

hub.jpg

caliper4.jpg

caliper3.jpg

caliper1.jpg

am i right in thinking its twilight violet ?? Looked stunning on sunday fella you must be well pleased indeed!

am i right in thinking its twilight violet ?? Looked stunning on sunday fella you must be well pleased indeed!

Yes 'tis the colour, are you the guy with the Tarox brakes?

Nope not me i was on the corrado club GB stand the blue storm was mine and the GF was on MANCVAG stand with her twilight violet VR

Absolutely gorgus Corrado!

Was great to see it at Tatton park. I was really impressed with all the work carried out on it and to such a high standard. So envious of your engine!!!! :D

Gave me loads of ideas!!!!

Not posted on here for a while so thought I would let people know of the work in progress.

Bought a second hand subframe and front cross member to have powdercoated and poly bushed up

LGIM0279.jpg

LGIM0280.jpg

LGIM0282.jpg

I am just going to get a few new O.E brackets and bolts from the dealers and then it will be fitted by my local friendly mechanic man.

Also one of my newest puchases has been a Recaro Profil SPG seat from the 'bay which i am very excited about :dance:

LGIM0283-1.jpg

Check out my for sale post for my old Recaro speed seats :grin:

I have been on a weight saving mission in an attempt to make the thing accelerate and brake quicker without looking like a stripped out track car. So far after weighing all the parts taken out/upgraded I have managed to shed a whopping 81kg! I will post up a list for your perusal when i get time. So with it running 170bhp and loosing 81kg it now goes like the preverbial :censored: off a shovel :lol:

81kg!! Blinking heck! Can't wait to see this again at the shows next year! I love it that you have kept and enhanced the 9A, Definately one of my favourite Corrado's :)

I'm glad i kept the 9a too, I could have quite easily had a 1.8t fitted like other people have or bolt on a turbo/super charger but I am really keen to keep it naturally aspirated without going down the carbs/throttle body route. I have been talking to Crazy Dave and he has a plan for it which could see it reaching 200bhp without cams or throttle bodies, bring it on!!

That will be crazy!! but then maybe that is why he is called Crazydave!I am so curious and extremely envious! I completely agree about the 9A engine. As I say, it'll be great to see it at the shows next year. Keep up the great work!!

Looking great.

Good to see you have a bit of time for the car still.

Ok, here goes with the list of weight saving in descending order;

fitting of Recaro SPG fixed bucket seats - 19kg

removal of rear seats - 17.8kg

removal of spare wheel and jack - 12.5kg

fitment of lightened flywheel - 5kg

removal of abs and associated sensors/ wires - 4kg

removal of exhaust box and fitment of decat pipe - 3kg

removal of parcel shelf - 3kg

removal of vibration reducing block on subframe - 3kg

removal of rear seatbelts and fitments - 2.6kg

removal of front wheel arch liners - 2kg

removal of parcel shelf supports / speakers - 1.7kg

fittment of slimline fan + crazydaves lazer cut brackets - 1.7kg

removal of rear wiper +motor - 1.6kg

removal of boot carpet - 1.5kg

removal of rear floor mats ,both ash trays + fuse cover tray - 1.2kg

removal of aerial + wire - 0.5kg

removal of under bonnet sound proofing - 0.5kg

total weight loss so far - 80.6kg

My target is 100kg so I am well on the way. The remaining chunk of weight should be lost with the fitment of a performance trim carbon bonnet and rear door cards, the bonnet should also balance out the weightloss and therefore handling.

So if the wiki facts are correct then so is the following;

original 16v power and weight; 136bhp + 1100kg = 123bhp/ton

my rado's power and weight; 165bhp + 1019kg = 161bhp/ton

Not bad eh?

just for comparison, vr6 original power and weight; 190bhp + 1240kg = 153bhp/ton.

To be more accurate I am going to get my car weighed on corner weights and post it up on here. :wave:

removal of aerial + wire - 0.5kg

removal of under bonnet sound proofing - 0.5kg

mate you must be desperate :lol:

really like the work you've done, keep it up