Sign in to follow this  
robbie_d

Why oh why would you bother?

I actually like the way the Corrado looks on the rare occasions I stick the roof bars on!

Looks proper Euro retro cool LOL

Probably look better in an Alpine environment with skis on top than in the Peak with my bike on top though :grin:

I've seen a few people use roof-racks on their Corrado for things like surfboards, giant piles of wood etc. seems sensible enough to me! :tongue:

When you have something bigger than an A4 sheet of paper that you need to put in the car. :D

Well bigger than a 3 foot bit of ply anyhow!!! 4 foot won't go!!!!! :lol:

When you have something bigger than an A4 sheet of paper that you need to put in the car. :D

they're not that bad, I've had a mountain bike in there and on another occasion 2 Corrado doors and a Corrado tailgate in the back of mine. I've also seen a complete 2nd interior wedged into one.

Well to answer your question you'd bother because the Corrado has a small boot. Have you ever tried putting more than two or three bags in the boot or a Corrado? Ever tried putting a bike in the back? Ever tried going away on holiday for more than a couple of days with one? That's why you'd bother...

But I wouldn't buy these ones. Thule do the best ones and although they're more expensive than the ones above they're worth it. In fact the only thing that amazes me is that we don't see more Corrados sporting them.

Well to answer your question you'd bother because the Corrado has a small boot. Have you ever tried putting more than two or three bags in the boot or a Corrado? Ever tried putting a bike in the back? Ever tried going away on holiday for more than a couple of days with one? That's why you'd bother...

You say that John, but the Corrado has always lived up to all of my 'loading' requirements. When I took it to Germany back in 2006 for 5 days it had room for all the gear for me and Supercharged and I've frequently stuck both of my bikes in the back of the car.. you do have to drop the seats of course, but once you do it's fairly cavernous!

And it's not like you will ever be carrying passengers in the back so putting the back seats down is not a problem. Plus putting the back seats down makes the car faster.

You say that John, but the Corrado has always lived up to all of my 'loading' requirements.

Agreed with you there Jim. It never ceases to amaze me how much you can cram into a Corrado.

I'm not prissy about my interior and don't care if it gets scuffed or covered in dirt, so it tends to get used for the dump trips a lot. Only yesterday I squeezed 2 wardrobes and a chest of draws into it. All collapsed down first obviously, but it all fitted in no problem.....along with 10 old tins of paint, 2 rubble sacks, 2 huge garden waste sacks and an old metal shelving unit. Couldn't see out the back or sides though :D

And for a touch of nostalgia, my car laden with wood, LOL!

And for a touch of nostalgia, my car laden with wood, LOL!

that's the photo I was thinking of when I put up my first post. :lol:

I've seen a few people use roof-racks on their Corrado for things like surfboards, giant piles of wood etc. seems sensible enough to me! :tongue:

Well I should probably add that the fitment of a rear strut brace years ago made folding the rear seats down virtually pointless as whatever you put in there also has to fit around the bar.

And the fitment of some very nice sound equipment robbed me of perhaps 40% of my (already pathetic) boot space but since there seemed to be sod-all to start with my calculation was something like "removing 40% of sod-all will still leave me with sod-all". But on long trips the value of some decent quality hi-fi should not be underestimated!

So admittedly I'm in a different position to many, and it's a compromise, but I still stand by the statement that the boot space in a VR6 ain't one of the car's strong points. Luckily for Jim the boot space in the G60/16v is deeper than in the VR6 (due to the smaller fuel tank).

What's the betting lots of guys start sporting roof bars at shows this summer now, ha-ha-ha. They could be 2009's show-season equivalent of InPro rear lights :cuckoo: I think it probably needs a carbon-fibre roofbox as well for the right amount of bling, as you know those Westside boys don't give no respec' unless you have lots of gold/carbon-fibre fitted

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

So admittedly I'm in a different position to many, and it's a compromise, but I still stand by the statement that the boot space in a VR6 ain't one of the car's strong points.

I also have a rear strut brace and a washer tank and 3 gallon alloy water tank in the boot :D The VR6's boot space is bigger than my missus's MK7 Polo GTI, and that's with the Corrado's extremely shallow screen angle too. Given how much bigger the Polo is than the Corrado, I'd say that's quite good.

Boot space is even worse for those who have converted to 4x4 though :lol:

So admittedly I'm in a different position to many, and it's a compromise, but I still stand by the statement that the boot space in a VR6 ain't one of the car's strong points. Luckily for Jim the boot space in the G60/16v is deeper than in the VR6 (due to the smaller fuel tank).

15 gallons on my clocks means 70 litre tank.. same as you VR boys :)

I've got a thule roof rack too - as soon as the weathers decent then the bikes will be on the roof and off to wales :) Who cares what it looks like!

[quote="Jim

You say that John, but the Corrado has always lived up to all of my 'loading' requirements. When I took it to Germany back in 2006 for 5 days it had room for all the gear for me and Supercharged and I've frequently stuck both of my bikes in the back of the car.. you do have to drop the seats of course, but once you do it's fairly cavernous!

Fold down the back seats :o

Are you mad !!! ??

I say use a friend's car for excessive luggage.

Me too though - I have managed on all car holidays, it may be a touch cramped - but manageable :lol: