Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

What keeps your enthusiasm for corrado going?

Sometimes i think about the long list of things to do, and things that will need doing, and how much money its all going to cost, on top of what its already cost to keep to keep the corrado.

I often look at other cars for you can pick up nowadays for a good price, with a 1/3 of the mileage and not likely to break etc. The CTR the guy at work bought the same time i bought the rado has not had a single problem, and now the rado owes me more than he paid for that.

The engine has been fine on the corrado, but i'm getting a bit bored of the silly faults i've had which cost either loads of money or loads of time. Heater controls, headlight switch melting, coolant leaks, brakes, suspension. I would hope i've sorted most things now afters thousands of my pounds and bloodied knuckles :(

They do look amazing though to my eyes, and feels awesome to sit in. 8)

Having to maintain a Corrado leaves me with no money to spare for drugs! :grin: So it spares me that problem..

No really, i can't think of anything as striking and scarce for the money.

with the amount i drive mine(maybe once or twice a week) everytime i get in it it feels great

but then on the same note

having done 8000miles in 16 months of ownership and having shit loads of money spent on it. for it to still break is a kick in the nuts! especially when its stuff that i have had replaced! but its the nature of the beast! end of the day, its a sports car! they break! love it and live with it not many about now is there really!your driving a piece of VW history! how many cars can have that title :p

What keeps your enthusiasm for corrado going?

Why, the Corrado forum of course :grin:

I've had new engines sieze, and repeating leaks and faults, but for some reason it just keeps you hooked,

I've noticed an increasing number of people buying a second or even more of them, it's definitely a bug.

I lost my enthusiasm for my corrado so i sold it, now i want another one :( glutton for punishment or what!!!

In fact thinking about it, corrado ownership is like having a girlfriend/wife... you'd get bored if nothing dramatic ever happened and your life became dull and monotonous, the newer models cost more and look good but you always wish you had something with more experience and style but with a corrado - you have an argument and something breaks, but after its all patched up and working the make up erm... drive :norty: is fantastic! well at least for another day or so lol

Not too sure at the moment, have spent £500 last week, new heater matrix, then £650 this week - steering rack, tie rods ends, wheel alignment and MOT.

All after a 3.5 week holiday and its hurting.

Saying that, I do still love her - just not Vince anymore !!

He does assure me, that he still thinks my Corrado is one of the best and I really should not have any large problems on the horizon. Hope not, as that is really the budget for the year gone.

Driving her out of the garage when I got back from my holidays - was a sheer look of happiness on my face - she is still one of the best looking cars around - as so great to drive.!! :D

She is nicely tucked up in the garage right now - too much snow here, everywhere is blocked off.

let's just say my enthusiasm for corrados is currently non existent :(

Saw your car yesterday mate, looking sorry for itself on the ramp!

Not too sure at the moment, have spent £500 last week, new heater matrix, then £650 this week - steering rack, tie rods ends, wheel alignment and MOT.

And your old offside tie rod got my car through the MOT yesterday :D

Had new front wheel bearings, ball joints, top mounts, your old tie rod (cause he sold the last 2 he had to you :nono: ) and it feels utterly sublime on the road once more :clap:

Took me 5.5 hours to get to Stealth from Colchester yesterday (110 miles) due to the snow..... not even Hurricane Wilbur would stop be going to Stealth!

Also heard Jon's 3.3 R32 turbo running and my god :shock:

I just typed a long reply and i.e. went cold on me! So 2nd time lucky...

For me, it is the fact that no other car i can afford to buy right now feels like / handles like / sounds like /looks like the way my VR6 does.

Yes there are lots of litle niggles here and there but overall, the way it "fits like a glove" every single time i get behind the wheel, plus the fact i have owned it for 6 years and really know both my limit with it and its' own limits.

As many of you know, i prefer the "older stuff" when it come to cars and whilst i could not afford a lot of the newer faster cars around, they also don't have the same appeal to me as the Corrado.

It really has come to a stage where every time i want to press the loud pedal, nothing beats that buzz it gives from the acceleration / sound and it's handling. On the motorway it still holds its own against most idiots in newer cars that dont get out of the way. On the twisty stuff, its just so much fun too.

So, for now i'll continue to drip feed the Porsche 993 fund, and the VR6 stays.

Just call Kev Mr Motivator! LOL :lol:

Hope it gets sorted soon mate, it WILL be worth it in the end! 8)

He does assure me, that he still thinks my Corrado is one of the best and I really should not have any large problems on the horizon.

He said that to me too. I bet he says it to all the Corrados. :lol:

In all fairness to him, i have not had any huge problems that alot of people on here report.

Just watch now that i've said that and tempted fate: door handles will break, sunroof will jam, heater matrix will pack up, timing chains will snap, spoiler will stop working,

And your old offside tie rod got my car through the MOT yesterday :D

Had new front wheel bearings, ball joints, top mounts, your old tie rod (cause he sold the last 2 he had to you :nono: ) and it feels utterly sublime on the road once more :clap:

Took me 5.5 hours to get to Stealth from Colchester yesterday (110 miles) due to the snow..... not even Hurricane Wilbur would stop be going to Stealth!

Well I am glad the tie rods helped yours through the MOT - now what is that you must owe me ?? :lol: :lol:

Is it giving you ideas Kev?

Well....funny you should say that.... his old 2.8 24V is on the floor doing nothing :norty:

A 2.8 24V with an R32 crank makes for one bomb proof 3.0 engine for turboing :D

Well I am glad the tie rods helped yours through the MOT - now what is that you must owe me ?? :lol: :lol:

I'll clean your wheels at the next rolling road day or something :lol:

There is just something about the Corrado that keeps me hooked. Every time I look at it when it's had a proper wash & polish it makes me feel all warm inside. I'm looking forward to the coming months because I'm getting to take it off the road and spend some pennies on it. Whilst I'll regret not having it as a daily any more, I hope it comes out of it better off - mechanically and cosmetically! :)

Its rarity, relative low cost to buy and maintain (compared to mates who have had FD RX7s, R32 GTRs, Porsche GT3s etc). I also think it’s a great looking car and will soon be a proper classic. Parts are generally easy to come by and it’s a car which you can work on quite easily. It’s also a car which I look back at every time I leave it somewhere. To me that’s the test of whether you have an emotional bond with a car.

Haha Kev is now officially 'owned' by Wendy. He has no idea what he's letting himself in for.

Where can I buy tickets for this wheel cleaning event when it happens? :lol:

I seriously think i'll never sell mine, its been so reliable, just normal wear and tear nothing major at all. I like replacing parts on it and it feeling good afterwards.

I love how it feels to drive, I love the look of it, and have just become attached to it, can't really put my finger on why.

I've always liked things that are a little different and something that stands out, the Corrado is perfect for that i reckon.

Just wish i had more money to spend on it really, would love a VRT in it.

what keeps my enthusiasm going is when people look at it for the first time and say "niiiice car!" to which i normally reply "i know..."

but other than that it makes me happy everytime i drive it. :lol:

Is it giving you ideas Kev?

Well....funny you should say that.... his old 2.8 24V is on the floor doing nothing :norty:

A 2.8 24V with an R32 crank makes for one bomb proof 3.0 engine for turboing :D

Good lad. :D You know it makes sense.

For me, it is the fact that no other car i can afford to buy right now feels like / handles like / sounds like /looks like the way my VR6 does.

What he said except replace VR6 with G60. I still feel the same excitement every time I sit in my G60 as I did the very first time I sat in one. After everything I've driven after a year working in the motor trade (I won't bore you with the list but rest assured it's a LOT of cars) I haven't come across anything that is as good a driver's car as a Rado.

What was the 'or something' ?? :lol: :lol:

Surely at least a full body wash and polish !!

:lol: