easypops

My VR6 and Storm

Not running yet, the oil pressure isn’t attached at the engine side, I just attached the battery to see if things might work 😁👍

18 minutes ago, easypops said:

Not running yet, the oil pressure isn’t attached at the engine side, I just attached the battery to see if things might work 😁👍

If I’d have tried that it would have fried it and never worked again. 😂

6 hours ago, easypops said:

Worth sitting at the car at night with the gauge pod  illuminated, that will put a smile on any corrado owners face ha. 

Fitted the Mk4 handbrake, not tried it yet but it sits where the corrado one does so no reason to think it won’t be just fine 

5D0DCC66-95F9-4C99-8E2D-A6C91B052766.jpeg

Interested I have one. 

Hey looks nice in there with the grey recaro

Edited by Keyo

On 6/11/2020 at 11:34 PM, fendervg said:

Looks nice - was there much butchery required to get it to fit?

Not really although it’s yet to be connected to anything. I had to weld in an extra bolt so it could be fixed correctly, swapped the electrical connector over and trimmed the inside of the lower hidden plastic, the bit with the rear ashtray in it, but the butchery is hidden by the top section. I might have to get a bit more off as I’d like it to sit a little lower I think 😁

Well, the engine is in, and I’m absolutely delighted to have got to this stage, still got a load of small jobs before lift off but they are all definitely manageable, driveshafts are on, just need torqued, gear selection is a bit ropey so that’ll need looking at. I’m awaiting the correct hex so I can fill the rebuild gearbox with oil(wavetrac lsd and 5th fear swap) .

Still to finish the brake pipes and the exhaust and the fuel tank/pipes but there is light at the end of the tunnel 😁

Massive thanks again to Goldie as he has done as much as me on this build, although he’ll deny it 😁

8E71F658-F8A0-4B74-9E66-473BFBB3A8F3.jpeg

35 minutes ago, easypops said:

“5th fear”

Is that like warp drive ?

The Recaros look fit in grey by the way.

Edited by James.

Oooh that looks so bloody nice. Keep going,  it's an inspiration 👍

49 minutes ago, James. said:

Is that like warp drive ?

The Recaros look fit in grey by the way.

Ha ha, I’m hoping that is the case. I’m very happy with the way the Recaros look in there, I’ve had them literally for years in the spare room and it’s great they are finally getting to get used.........I’ve sat in there a few times now making car noises 🤣

15 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Looking nice and tidy in there Martin, good effort. 👍

Thanks mate 👍

23 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Nice mate coming on now/ 

Thanks mate 👍

2 hours ago, Cressa said:

Oooh that looks so bloody nice. Keep going,  it's an inspiration 👍

Thank you kindly mate 😁👍

Engine is back in the bay, major step accomplished! That must be encouraging, keep up the good work! Cheers

As usual, life constantly gets in the way of car tinkering. I’ve been super busy recently so very little done. I removed the rear axle again, tidied up a few areas of surface rust, found a few other bits where the underseal had split so I had a few small patches to weld, nothing pretty but now solid. Also managed to fit the the front brakes and refit the rear axle 

163E344A-C548-45FA-B001-C8C0FEBD0841.jpeg

40D02C2B-D269-4723-9337-796C68A36C56.jpeg

Those calipers looks amazing! I'm going to have mine powder coated red as well.

Long time no updates although I have been crazy busy with getting back to work, but some progress has been made.

All brake lines have been made and fitted, goodridge hoses all round. As it’s Teves20, no bias valve.

Fuel tank and pipes installed.

Coolant hoses installed, but had a few leaks when filled up, crack pipe at block(pinched seal),thermostat housing (my error in assembly) and radiator switch (not quite tight enough). Swapped the metal crack pipe for a vw original one, sorted the thermostat housing and tightened the red switch and no more leaks(yet).

Oil filled up.

Gearbox filled up with MT-90.

Power steering fluid added but needs the pump turning for circulation.

All heat shields installed.

Exhaust fitted except the back box, need to do a bit of a repair on the rear bracket area.

Still to do

Finish the install of the Schrick pipes/electrical box.......almost done though

Add brake fluid

Adjust the gear linkage as it’s not quite right at the moment (at least I don’t think it is)

Loads of smaller jobs needing done but it might well get fired up soon 😁

95B7D979-3129-416C-ACBF-9C89A3CB199C.jpeg

84F6CA44-38B0-4222-A1F1-AF2EDCF0FA6F.jpeg

F3794D7B-CCAB-477B-BAFF-D0D8AF287584.jpeg

9A2BF12D-F7DF-49FC-A147-FC1AAF4AD296.jpeg

F7D2AB90-65CB-49ED-9CD4-31C851718994.jpeg

1 minute ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Not far off now. I bet you can almost smell the fumes

I can mate, still a bit worried that absolutely nothing will happen when I turn the key, although I’ve double and triple checked everything, there has been a lot done.

Change of cams, chains and tensioners, clutch and flywheel, OBD2 conversion, Teves20 conversion, gearbox rebuild (5th gear swap and 1st&2nd synchro’s replaced  to go with existing lsd). Plus I removed all the existing oe and aftermarket alarms/immobilisers so there has been a lot of electrical jiggery pokery 🤣

2 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Not far off now. I bet you can almost smell the fumes

Not everyone sniffs petrol on their day off mate 😂

Looking forward to hearing her run best of luck 👍

2 hours ago, seanl82 said:

Great stuff! Did you do the gearbox bits yourself Martin? 

No mate, the gearbox came in the fire damaged car that Michael and myself bought a couple of years back, Michael took the head and the VSR, I retained the rest, the gearbox had an issue the previous owner made us aware of, 1st and 2nd difficult to select. I took it to a gearbox mechanic that I know through a friend, he repaired it and changed the 5th gear, I supplied the 5th but as I’d only ordered one half of it he supplied one 😁👍

I did ask if he could swap the lsd(wavetrac) into my working box but he said it would be better/cheaper to fix the box with it already in