easypops

My VR6 and Storm

I am in the process of doing the sump gasket in mine too,hopefully to cure an oil leak too!!!

I got a new gasket from VW and its just a paper/card type,which seems to be what is on the car originally.

It looks just like your new one too.

As Joe says I`m sure yours will be fine too,cant go far wrong :)

Busy busy, as long as the sump gaskets the same shape which it looks to be, it should be fine. Just make sure the surface is properly clean before fitting. Also check if the sump is warped or anything before fitting, I know it had scraped the deck a few times... I might have a spare in my shed you can have if it is damaged.

Hi Joe, I may well take you up on that one mate, as the sump is well scraped with a few dents on it too........probably most done by me as my driveway used to be really rough and i scraped almost every day :gag: :D......Fixed now though :lol: ........As for the sump gasket i ordered another one.......same as the one which came off along with various other seals, gaskets etc........spent all day sunday(apart from some quality world cup football :lol: ) putting it back together.........

New Belt tensioner

New ribbed belt

New sump gasket

New rocker cover gasket

New Inlet manifold gasket

New oil cooler seals(front and back)

New oil filter housing and seal

New leads

New spark plugs

New bolts for front bumper

New bolts for rear bumper(needed as the old ones are in a bad way)

There is probably more......and i'll add some pics later.......off to vw just now for some G12 so i can see if there is life :D

Kk, ill look it out later and see what condition its in.

Thanks Joe :D ,

After getting it put back together, coolant in etc, i turned the key and all was well :clap: .....took it for a run and i have to say it felt a lot better, guess the service was needed :D .......also gave me a chance to see if the recently bought spoiler motor and mechanism had solved the dead spoiler issue.......and it had :D ........i then gave it a wash, also bought one of those snow foam lances :shock: :lol:

BUT........had a look under about an hour after returning in and there is a drip of oil :censored: .....so i'll have a wee look tomorrow evening after i get home to see where its coming from this time.......hopefully its something i haven't tightened properly or maybe the sump is warped???.......or maybe it is the dreaded crankshaft oil seal after all :( ........we'll see :lol:

This should have been posted before all the engine stuff, but you know how it is trying to find the time to resize a pile of pics etc :lol:

Managed to get some replacement bits .......in the right colour too :shock: ..........i hoped to get the 2 wings , bonnet ,rear bumper, drivers door.......but had to settle for the drivers door, wing and the rear bumper.........the bumper and wing arrived safely but the door was dented along the bottom :shrug:

Anyway i had to try a wee repair at the bit where the badges go(pushed in about 15-20mm).....the repair went ok but the painting wasn't the best.......but not that bad :lol: .......fitted the new rear bumper, repaired the door and primered it(that how it is just now)......not fitted the wing yet

Also bought some bbs rx2's in need of a refurb......which i decided to do myself :cuckoo: :lol: :lol: ........gave up on the centres and got them powdercoated........just got to finish polishing the lips and then reassemble :D

Looking good :)

I got the sump out btw, its pretty bad. I remember now that it was on the bottom of the old engine and it has been dragged about the ground quite a bit and bounced up the stairs in my parents garden when it was still on the engine.

Looking good :)

I got the sump out btw, its pretty bad. I remember now that it was on the bottom of the old engine and it has been dragged about the ground quite a bit and bounced up the stairs in my parents garden when it was still on the engine.

No worries mate :D

Can't believe it's been almost 5 years since I last looked here.......considering I'm on here almost every day :lol:

Anyway, car has been off the road for the last 18 months, various reasons, wheel bearings noisy, front engine mount bolt snapped(I think),various oil leaks, rear crank seal prime suspect and sump at a few points.

Plans

Replace all running gear/brakes/brake pipes/rear beam. Got most of the bits already, rear beam,front subframe,wishbones already powdercoated thanks to Goldie.

Remove engine, fix rear crank seal, do chains and tensioners, replace sump

Do OBD2 conversion

Do Teves 20 conversion

Replace wings and doors(right colour ones bought years ago from Purpletom

Fix known rust points, rear bumper support near side also sill at wing same side

I'm sure there will be a lot more :lol:

I'll be happy to have it back on the road in a year or so, but knowing me it could well be longer :)

344C3821-6990-49DB-A0EB-36DCB6C28649.jpg

Got a few wee bits done, drained the coolant and power steering fluid, removed radiator, best of all, got the bonnet off and out the way :)

BDFEA683-0BAD-4FBA-B7B0-ECAC9C95D512.jpg

F93BDCF3-53DF-4D5A-8555-628291E7AD3D.jpg

That's a stroke of genius with the bonnet.

Looking forward to this coming together.

Love the bonnet idea ! . That's a mammoth task with all the jobs you have to do . I'm sure you will get there though . Looking forward to the updates . I'm always envious of people with a garage lol .

Edited by robrado974

Cheers guys, time will be my biggest problem as I only seem to find any later in the evenings.

I nearly got the rear beam off last night but the compensator is rusted/stuck on so I can't get the bolt out that side......and considering it was 11pm I felt it was a bit late for the angle grinder:)

So,I eventually got the rear beam off, had to chop the n/s bolt off in sections as I couldn't get to it correctly. No matter anyway as its all going in the bin. The beam itself is shockingly rusty, which is why I'm getting rid of it. I'm gonna save the eibach ARB , just need to find out where to get the fitting kit from, the pictures will tell you why I need new ones :)

th_218743c82293aafd394a47e274d775f2.jpg

th_732b3fd20b070e61c354a66cd08a4739.jpg

th_9708becc5fccb122aa884ca4792f3574.jpg

th_f9428c5a7d837dbcdaa6be44a5fda46c.jpg

Look forward to cutting the shocker bolt and trying to get the mk4 callipers off....not :lol:

The shocker is going in the bin, just need it off the release the ARB, the bolt is just spinning

Edited by easypops

Some great work going on there. I've got a spare rear beam with fairly low mileage vw bushes on it (around 5000) if that's of use?

Thanks mate, but I'm ok. I have a collection of bits here already, all powdercoated . Rear beam and brackets, front subframe,wishbones,bumper supports and a few others I can't think of.

The offer is much appreciated though 8)

Got a little more done today, removed the front crossmember and radiator support, then managed to get the power steering pipe removed thanks to my new best friend:)

8493E5F6-2A07-44C4-804C-8DB0949863FE.jpg

3A05CBB9-2AA9-419A-9EBA-632FDED39B89.jpg

ABC49D3E-55D4-4A63-873B-7ED72517E225.jpg

C96E6D0A-3445-408B-833D-71BC1D2E19CB.jpg

Can the power steering pipe still be bought?

planning on a bit of a strip down for mine over winter, put my order for a blowtorch in for christmas!

how far you going to take it?

No real plans at how far I should go, I am going to keep stripping it until I've removed the engine, all bolt on parts underneath, all braking components, then I'll try and fix any rusty bits, get any bits that I've not got powdercoated and order up all new bolts. I think I'm going to buy a gasless mig welder to see if I can repair the hole in the sill. Then that might lead me to removing the windscreen to fix the top edge as it's showing a few wee bubbles.

The good thing is I have the space to play with it and I have set no real time scale so have no pressure apart from wanting to get out on the road again :)

This is what I'm thinking for mine. I now have space, and time isn't a huge issue. Just worried it'll start as a small project and before I know it I'll be going crazy and getting the bay painted or something :lol:

man....quite a lot of people on here now getting their arses in gear, i need to do mine and these are a great inspiration, well done keep up the good work

man....quite a lot of people on here now getting their arses in gear, i need to do mine and these are a great inspiration, well done keep up the good work

Thanks mate, your car can't need much doing, it looks great.

Got another few wee bits done tonight, got the mk4 callipers off the crusty beam, with no little help from the blowtorch and the Irwins.

Also looking to find the name of the clamps used to hold the eibach ARB onto the beam as I can't seem to find them, and I'm sure you'll agree they need replaced :)

B714A4A8-3AE7-4E0E-9358-5E0AA3C8DE3A.jpg

60864DA2-7F16-492A-A684-38883D28D5D0.jpg

72CBE030-F9B5-448D-A13C-93571A1AAC93.jpg

Edited by easypops