Dick Dastardly

brake pipes need replacing

Just had the dreaded MOT done on the car, it passed (that's all I want to say on that subject), but there are a few items that require attention. firstly and in my opinion the most urgent The brake pipes both front and back are needing replaced due to severe corrosion.

Is there anywhere out there that supplies the pipes in a ready made kit so that they can just be swapped over. Apart from the VAG dealers, I can get it done at bearsden autos but they would make them from scratch from a coil of piping.This sounds like hard work and a lot of hours of labour.

I would like to compare prices with ready made piping that i can fit myself.

us scots are tight as f uck you know :x

You can get a set of Goodridge braided brake pipes from ECP for about £50-£60. Supposedly greatly improve pedal feel as they dont expand under heavy braking.

The rear brake lines usually always corrode. They are replacable in sections and terminate at the rear proportioning valve. If you're unlucky, the ends will be seized in the valve, meaning a new valve AND lines. The valve is £100.

The front pipes terminate at the ABS outlet block, again, replacable in individual preformed sections - from the stealer.

I would buy an olive tool, some correct size ends and a long length of corrosion resistant copper tubing and make up the lengths yourself. It's dead easy.

My old MK1 had corroded brake lines front to back. The total cost from VW for all of the preformed lengths was well over £500, so I got my mate to make up an entire car's worth at a cost of around £75.

It's not as bad a job as it sounds as you just unclip the original lengths and replicate them with new tubing.

The olive tool is quite cheap and just forms a 'bulb' at the end of the tube for the threaded end. It also cuts the pipe uniformly.

Whilst you're there, I would replace the flexi-hoses with Goodridge steel hoses.

Kev

I did all the rears on mine last year. Got a brake line forming machine plus a huge coil of pipe and a load of unions for about £30 from a motor factors in derby. I am sure they do mail order over the web, if you need any more details then let me know and i will dog out their address.

Jim

I am sure they do mail order over the web, if you need any more details then let me know and i will dog out their address.

Jim

any help would be appreciated are all the brake lines the same size in diamater or would i have to get a specific size :mad:

Whilst you're there, I would replace the flexi-hoses with Goodridge steel hoses.

Kev

are these the same hoses that joeM is talking about and are they straight replacements or is there any changes to be made on fitting them

Yeah the Goodridge hoses are a direct replacement, no preperation work necessary. As the flexihoses age, they soften, giving a squishy pedal.

If you've ever driven a Vauxhall Vectra (they have superb brakes), that's the sort of pedal feel you get with the goodridges.

K

All the fixed (not flexible) lines are the same size although the unions are different betweeen car manufacturers, most lines are made of copper that should last for a good 10 years or so. You can get brake pipe called kunifer this is and alloy that lasts longer. The company i bought my set from is called Fittapart, thay advertise on the net under direct car parts or something. Anyway their phone no is 01332 345344. Hope this helps.

Jim

My 93 Passat estate just failed the test on brake pipes, like I thought it would.

£15 for two rolls of pipe, I have 3 of the flexies in already, the other 3 will cost about £15, then I just need a litre of fluid.

I have printed off the diagrams from ETKA for the brake pipes, it has all the lengths you need listed. I am going to check a couple to make sure I have the right list. Then I can make the rest of the pipes, up before having the car off the road.

Gonna convert it to 280s, as I have the brackets and some OK secondhand discs floating about the garage.

Gavin

double check the brake line lengths. I did exactly the same thing and they were way too long. The easiest thing to do is copy the ones you have taken off.

Jim

my car was in at the local vag dealers due to starting problems when it was in i got them to quote me for replacing the brake pipes and the two rear flexy hoses, they rekoned that it would cost £286.00 due to the amount of time involved in changing the pipes robbing bas :evil: tards

my car was in at the local vag dealers due to starting problems when it was in i got them to quote me for replacing the brake pipes and the two rear flexy hoses, they rekoned that it would cost £286.00 due to the amount of time involved in changing the pipes robbing bas :evil: tards

Amount of time involved. About two hours on a ramp. It didnt take much longer for me doing it on axle stands.

It's the kind of job any garage could do though. No need to sped dealer money on it.

Gavin

got the brake pipes replaced along with goodridge bradied hoses the braking is good but the rear discs are needing replaced along with the pads this could be the next job on the list along with the exhaust, suspension, paint job, refurbished wheels, :roll: I don't want to think about any more my pockets aren't deep enough.

18 year thread revival..

Rear brake pipe (drivers side) is corroded under the rubber lined section.

Any recommendations for product and anything to be aware of? I assume it might very well be seized into the brake bias valve...

Best to replace both sides at the same time?

Thanks

Hasan

Volksworld?? (forum member) used to remanufacture them?

Definitely worth replacing the bias valve. You may get away with it and the pipe may come out ok, but you can bet it'll fail in a few years. This is the kind of thing that will cost too much to remanufacture so parts will dry up. Definitely worth getting one while you can in my opinion. If you want to have a go at making them yourself, use Kunifer. Not much more expensive than copper, but much harder so won't fold as easily when bent or become damaged and restrict flow with the slightest knock. I believe copper brake pipe is illegal in many countries....  I'd recommend stainless fittings as well, so they'll last forever. 👍

Edited by seanl82

Just dropped Volksworld13 a note on that thread - thanks Dox.

Is there any alternative to the bias valve?  I had a spare (used) one years ago but remember it seized up completely from sitting in the old damp garage so i threw it away.  New ones seems to be silly money now..

I took my pipes off and went to my local auto factors who re-made the correct length and ends. Easy enough to bend using tools. 

I didnt think £70 for a TSW ebay bias valve was bad really. Purchased last month 

Cressa?  Would you mind posting me a link to the valve?  I seem to be getting ones at £200+...

Did your auto factors do them in cunifer or copper?

Thanks

Seanl82, will do, thanks

Schoolboy error, looks like the pipes for the handbrake at the back are corroded

20220418_192634.jpg