g0ldf1ng3r

g0ldf1ng3r's VR6

also a pic of the trim place sign in case anyone in the west mids area wants any trim work done i would highly recommend :D

Hope you don't mind me asking, do they do cloth interiors? I'd love to get my drivers seat sorted.

Hope you don't mind me asking, do they do cloth interiors? I'd love to get my drivers seat sorted.

of course not, shy bairns get nowt as my dad always used to say

i would imagine they do m8

i recall that when my gf had her headliner done she was told that they mostly do old VW stuff. there was a camper restoration place nearby & bernard & his wife did all of their interior work

give him a call & by all means say that andy who has just had his corrado seat done gave you the number. FYI i did take the seat to him out of the car & also provided the replacement bolster

FYI when i dropped the seat off i could see his wife working on someones new seat covers. they looked amazing! leather with green outers, black centre section & then that padded diamiond stiching

had a week off work last week, main job being to reline the valver air box & i thought i may as well fit a golf mk 3 matrix whilst the dash was out

3rd time doing a matrix & think i managed to get everything out within a couple of hours, thankfully no stuck bulk head bolts this time lol plus, seeing as i had changed the valver matrix a year or two ago most of the tricky bolts/screws were not as tight as the first time

took the opportunity whilst all was out to clean everything & also re did the various gaskets in the air feed system - end result i now have hot air when set to hot & cold when set to cold lol

whilst doing the coolant top up procedure & to purge any air i had a look for the oil leak i had noticed - it seemed to be coming from the top of the oil cooler (i think, the bit on top of the oil filter). i switched off & cleaned the white top sensor the when turned on again it was clear to see oil coming out the top of it

thus i changed both sensors, they were only about £4 each. which stopped the leak but moved the issue from a leak to now my oil alarm buzzer comes on as soon as hit 2.5k revs

yay - boo!

i suspect sump oil pump but have put a post in engine bay section here for help/advice

VR update to follow

i also managed to crack on with the bits for the VR - which was much needed in the end & a bit of a rush as i needed the VR for work this week

finally plumbed the new matrix in. glad i took pics of the engine bay as the hoses cross over at the matrix on the VR, unlike the valver

carried out the coolant top up / air lock jobbie & all was running fine. nice hot air now & hot/cold mix due to air box flap reline

got the steering wheel & drivers seat finished bar a final coat of conditioner

a big thanks to lilfuzzer for the RHS drivers bolster, it not only looks awesome in place but also now giving my drivers seat a very 'new' look to it, plus the gliptone stuff make the leather smell superb.

the seat base now holds me better & though the old bolster was not completely gone the difference is noticeable :D

the gliptone stuff did a very good job overall & covered the slightly worn patch on the drivers RHS upper bolster nicely

pointless post without pics so...

well, 2 days of driving with the new bolster & though i did not expect to i can feel the difference with the new one holding me better

i had to use the 4 pots in slight anger this morning, holy **** batman they are so much better than OE setup it is hard to put into words

amazing retardation, no locking & make you hang on tight to the steering wheel else you would be kissing the screen

if anyone is looking for better brakes under OE wheels I would highly recommend them & advise not to bother with 288's

i had to use the 4 pots in slight anger this morning, holy **** batman they are so much better than OE setup it is hard to put into words

amazing retardation, no locking & make you hang on tight to the steering wheel else you would be kissing the screen

Sometimes the hard braking is more fun than the acceleration! :lol:

Sometimes the hard braking is more fun than the acceleration! :lol:

ha ha indeed Mic i am finding that out

i had hoped they would be good but this morning surprised me just how good they are

id love to get the VR on a track now just to really give them a good beating, see how they cope with temps & fade etc

what 4 - pots are they GF?

hi m8 - these....

full info on cost etc in my build thread & i also did a cost comparison to 288's IIRC

very much another boo - yay few days, hopefully good results in the end

on the way to work in the VR on thurs, almost there, pull away from an island & "WTF is that coming out the front left of the bonnet & spraying on my windscreen" moments ensued :(

fortunately there was a lay by only 100 yards or so away so quickly managed to get it there & shut her off

popped bonnet to find this...

the elbow on top of the rad had fractured & popped the hose off. found the other end of the elbow in the hose

tried a cowboy fix but it wouldnt hold & i wasnt sure how much coolant had been lost

had to get rescued but due to a mistake by RAC it took about 4 hours in all

fortunately a call to Heritage & a new elbow was on its way

received the new oil pressure switch for the valver on friday, swapped it over & hey presto no more oil alarm buzzer when hit 2.5k revs

thus definitely the generic switch was not correct for the vehicle, despite all part numbers corresponding to correct VW parts etc

Heritage switch had a clear stamp of 1.8-2.0bar on it - the motor factors one had nothing

took it for a run & all seemed ok - cross fingers that is fixed & ok now - glad it doesnt seem to be the oil pump lol

elbow arrived for the VR late saturday - got it fitted, filled up coolant - it had lost about 2/3's id say

ran her up to stat opening & topped up etc

drove her back on sunday & all seemed ok - again fingers crossed it was just a plastic part failure but i may get it to my mechanic for a pressure test on the system

had a lovely toasty warm drive to work today in the valver :D

air box re-lining has worked great & the new gaskets etc along the way are giving a good result when directional flow moved around

When you fitted the 4 pot calipers, did you notice any increase in brake pedal travel?

Cheers.

hi m8

no, in fact i gt the opposite

historically my VR has never had the best feeling brake pedal - it always felt like you had to pump it to get a good feeling under foot

the ABS has never been quite right & i had quite a few lock ups from the OE brake setup. i had previously tried EBC USR discs & green stuff pads & though they seemed to stop any locks in heavy braking i wouldnt say they stopped me any better than OE discs/pads. i did get a much better disc/pad life than OE

now with the HiSpec's it feels like you have access to a much greater stopping power virtually as soon as you hit the pedal - just a small travel & they let you know they can & will stop you hard & fast. press that pedal hard & you need to hold the steering wheel tight else you will head butt the screen lol

Any updates?

I notice its been a long while since you last posted, I hope life is treating you well mate

well - the BIG day has finally arrived

after many years of collecting & hoarding parts & somehow managing to find another Kamei skirt kit the VR6 is about to be dropped off to the body shop for some serious treatment 😄

ive stripped out rear seats, rear & front door cards & passenger seat, loaded up boxes of new/replacement parts & put the skirt kit in - next stop no rust & fresh paint all over

just need to try & sort a replacement windscreen as wouldnt you know 2 days before the screen is due to come out ive noticed several cracks in the lower passenger side corner, typical lol

hopefully i can figure out how to put some pics on here of a before & after - hold tight im a tad nervous lol

Haha, I know that feeling of nervous anticipation! I'm sure it'll look great! Are they sending you any pics of the process, or are you planning on 'just popping in as you were in the area'? lol

On 2/29/2020 at 4:12 PM, seanl82 said:

Haha, I know that feeling of nervous anticipation! I'm sure it'll look great! Are they sending you any pics of the process, or are you planning on 'just popping in as you were in the area'? lol

Sorry sean i forgot to reply

i was told i would be sent pics but hey ho ive not received any

some may notice it is quite a long time since the above posts & am sad to report that on week 15 of a 5 week estimated job time i am still without the VR

ive been working to this for 10 freaking years & just as she went to the shop covid crap hit & then he has family troubles, honestly you just couldnt make it up - am hoping, nay praying, that it is ready this weekend but if not it had ******* better be the following weekend

however, i did kick myself up the backside & got the 16v running yesterday with help from a friend.  siphoned the old fuel out, of which there was more than i expected, a full jerry can of v power & some ez start & she is ALIVE!!!

fingers crossed, after it has been  off the road for another 2 years, that i can get a MOT on it - if it does then its another list of to-do's - as the list shortens for the VR it lengthens for the 16v lol

still no sign of the VR coming back, i must admit im starting to loose my patience now 😞

however, the 16v got picked up by my mechanic & am crossing fingers & toes it passes the mot this week

had a tidy quote for insuring the valver from HIC, £143