Kempy

My Satin Valver. issues :( water/electrics

Thought I fixed it, But have a leak. I didnt have a leak at all yesterday, theres no puddles on my drive. I drove less than a mile to my aunts to do some work on the electrics then I find a puddle under the car. Very annoying.

Fairly sure its from the thermostat housing, can you use some sealant with the o-ring? Its a brand new flange. Is there a good way to bolt it down correctly? Is there a tidy/easy way to refit the stat and flange, it seems really difficult from under the car. I fitted it originally off the car and just straight onto the pump before I fitted it. Cant hack loosing another load of coolant, or is that unavoidable?

Very smart mate! I'm liking the smoothed front bumper :) Bit annoying with the coolant issue. If it's from the thermostat housing, have you replace the o-ring? If it screws into plastic, don't over tighten it as it will crack and become loose again!

I've drained most of the coolant into a clean washing up bowl and reused before, using the bottom rad hose o drain, pouring back into the engine through a filtered funnel just in case of dirt. A smear of silicone sealant or grease on the seals can help seat them.

Seems to be escaping from tank or cap? Both are brand new vag parts. I give up :@ 20v me up lol.

Also fitting coilovers whilst I look to solve the leak. Fitted one to the front and one to the back as I'm odd that way. The front coilover has solved the knocking issue which is nice. Realised that the bolts on the front shocks are 18mm amazed I never broke anything yesterday as I used 19mm on. Whoops

I seem to have coolant spraying out the side of the tank under pressure. The coolant wasn't very hot. But I released the pressure by loosening the cap and the sprayed from the bottom hole on the right! Has the pressure burst the tank? If it has it was the second tank that done that.. Why is the pressure so high? Head problems?

Bought a block tester kit and it's conclusive that there combustion gases in the coolant. Head gasket kaput. Very disappointed but was sure it was gone. Test has proved it.

Will start to get head off later, found a place to test pressure and cracks. I'd be pretty upset if it was cracked.

yep, the 2L gasket from 8v and 16v engines is the same and is a metal layered one from most gasket suppliers, a good opportunity to clean your valves and re cut them :)

Dropped the head off at South Wales pistons just now. Pressure test and skim. Found coolant in the middle 2 chambers and found some of the head bolts really easy to remove as though they weren't torqued down like the others or had been stretched. They were new from vw and has only done at most 200 miles. Gaskets all seemed in good condition couldn't see damage or anything that might be at fault appart from the fact the head wasn't seemingly torqued down!

All back together again now. Changed the oil and cleaned sump. It's all looks clean now. I just need to get the ignition timing done but I don't have a timing light. Sounds fine anyways now, not a bit of smoke out the exhaust or any oil or coolant loss. I've not been for a drive through as tax ran out last month. Will get the wheels fitted soon but need to sort out some electric issues too but going in the right direction now..

Cheers Rob. I really miss being able to drive it after being in a Corrado for so long. It'll just be a weekend and fun car so will not take as much punishment as it would as a daily

Put the splitter on and better fogs and indicators I had. I think the saggy bumper isn't really that bad, I've torqued up the bumper bolts fully and seems fine now. the bumper was in the guides fine. Waiting for May to tax it so I can have a good idea if the work I've done on the head has worked. There might be a case to do the hydraulic cam followers in the winter as they are quite noisy. I got my wheels to fit too and hopefully there's no problems there. I also need to have a look at the wiring in the dash as its a mess and fit my stereo and speakers :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78357[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78358[/ATTACH]

Thanks

Makes sense. I plugged in the stereo yesterday and only had one dash speaker!!

It must be caught on something because it's half way across the dash and it's got no slack. I swapped the dash out for a flocked one months ago.

Edited by Kempy

Evening, got the car back from an electrician last week and I drove it home and haven't been able start the car or charge the battery so bought a new battery today and went for a good long drive. Nothing major to report, which is good.

Only thing was coolant temp never went above 70. What shall I check for this? where is the senders for the coolant is it on the bottle?

what up. dropped car off at Cardiff VW so a friend of mine will take a lot at it. Hopefully be all sorted on return :)

My friend at vw has said theres water getting in and getting on the fuse box. I know the windscreen needs replacing, after that where can I start looking for the water coming? Anyone had a similar issue?

Foliage seal maybe and door membranes mate they go so tiger seal them and give them a crimp to tighten up the metal seal bonded inside the seal itself