Kempy

My Satin Valver. issues :( water/electrics

I reckon you should get all the ally bits sand blasted and then just spray with silver to bring it back to looking new rather than modified. i think it always looks classier. But that's just me :D Keep up the good work kempy. Just grind the three downpipe bolts off and be done with it!

dunno if I'll be able to get any grinding tools in the space? that idea of painting sounds good, I got a contact for blasting to :wave:

use a dremel type thing with a flexi attachment

i have the cheapo argos version, cost me £20/£30 but has done me proud for about 5 years now, the bits from argos aren't the best, the bits from bandq are harder wearing

got the damn thing off earlier. I had to take it out by undoing the bolts nearest the CAT...very heavy with the exhaust mainfold still attached. I struggled to get it all out.. but its off now so is all the manifolds and the chain ready for the KR head :clap:

looking at prices for powdercoating now

dunno what to do next :| suggestions please... i was thinking clean it...

Is there anything I should do with the bottom end, change the oil? Ive not done anything remotely like this before so any help would be appreciated

dangerous request as there's loads you can do :D

easy stuff like cleaning the block, taking the sump off and cleaning, draining and flushing coolant

harder stuff like stripping and cleaning water pump, oil cooler, new filter, breather assembly, coolant pipes

harder still checking crank and shell bearings, oil pump, end float :)

get urself a 16v haynes, even if a 2ltr would provide a good guide....

it covers the kr 16v, and also variants of the 8 valve

it's a red cover with a golf on the front

I got a passat haynes, its good for 2.ol 16 9a. Ive taken off my rad, what should I do to clean, drain and flush everything. Might have a go later

for the radiator leave a hose running water through it fro a n hour or two, in the oppisite direction of the of which it would run through when the car is running, should clean it out :D

looks like i've made a :epicfail: mistake by not marking up belts and head and block...... :cuckoo: :pale: when taking off my head. What have I done? can I rebuild the motor still?

you'll just need to line the timing marks up again, no biggy best to check all the timing marks when rebuilding anyway :D

and give the radiator a shake/ tip it upside down etc when flushing too

where are the timing marks..I probably should of done more reading before going further :o

haha yeh know the feeling :D often get excited taking stuff apart

seriously this aint a major issue tho, will be in your haynes, plus do a search on here as i remember a similar thread not long ago

you'll find timing marks on;

- the cam gears, two circles to face each other lined up with top edge of cylinder head with rocker cover removed

- cam pulley, internal mark level with cylinder head as gear, external one vertical to match diamond on rocker cover at 12 oclock

- crank pulley notched to meet mark at 12 oclock

- flywheel line mark which you can see through the gearbox bell housing.

all good stuff :D

could somebody tell me how to take the sprockets off my 9a cams so I can put them on my kr ones. thanks

if you mean the cam gears then you need a 'gear puller' a tripod with hooked ends and a screw in the middle, you'll need a hydraulic press to put them back on

why'd you want to do that anyway?