Sign in to follow this  
mic_VR

What about an E46 M3

Anyone owned one/driven one etc?

I was considering one a while ago but eventually forged on with my VRT plans, but through work we've had one traded in against a porsche and the salesman managed to screw the guy right down on trade-in price so I've now got the chance to buy it mega cheap.

It's a '02 model E46 with FSH but 120K on the clock, completely standard and seems to run really well and we're talking about £2.5-3k cheaper than anything similar on Autotrader.

I'm going to take it for a spin later to see what it's actually like but this could be a contender to the VRT project which is bound to cost me more in the long run.......

If it's going 2.5-3k cheaper, then buy it, sell it on, and partially fund the VRT project?

Depends how easily/quickly you could get shot of it I suppose...

Awesome car. Very much on my list of cars to own someday.. If it's as good as it sounds, it's gotta be worth a look!

Got taken round a track in an E46 M3 CSL last year and simply couldn't believe the level of performance and the handling of the thing - it was staggeringly good.

They REALLY ARE that good and sound amazing to boot.

As with all the M cars you need to make sure the VANOS has been done, particularly at that mileage.

Get it!

Matt

If it's going 2.5-3k cheaper, then buy it, sell it on, and partially fund the VRT project?

Depends how easily/quickly you could get shot of it I suppose...

X2 and the mean time enjoy the M3 8)

Hmmm, turns out it was owned by a smoker. Waiting for the valet guys to give it the once over to sort the smell, then i can take it out for a run!

if you do get it i virtually guarantee the corrado will be sold soon afterwards :shock: they are awesome machines.

dont forget all the cocks are driving audis :lol:

these are awsome cars i was lucky enough to have a boss who let me drive his regulary and they are monsters

mental quick and the handling is amazing but as above if its not been maintained and had the valves(vanos) service they can loose 30-40 bhp

and that service is around £800 alone :shock:

if you do get it i virtually guarantee the corrado will be sold soon afterwards :shock: they are awesome machines.

dont forget all the cocks are driving audis :lol:

:lol: whoops, forgot I'd said that in the other thread!

That's what I'm worried about as the Corrado is now a member of the family, not sure I could do it to old Mincy and replace him..... :(

As everyone else has said i was astounded by the level of performance by the one i drove and the torque is frightening i would certainly say goodbye to the corrado for one :)

Nice cars, but I think I'll stick to my stealthy power. Cars like that and R32s, Touregs, M5s, etc are stolen to order these days. A guy who sits 4 desks up from me had his BMW stolen 2 weeks ago. They broke into his house and took the keys.

It's just not fuggin worth owning a car like that these days. Some c'nt will just nick it or kick it.

No one's gonna nick a 16 year old Corrado :lol:

And compared to a VRT, they are bloody slow :wink:

M3's are unbelievably good but unfortunately they are 3 series' which means they are for ladies :camp:

M5's they way to go even though it's not as good, I know that makes no sense but I didn't write the rulebook :D

Ooooh I dunno about that. The E46 M3 looks tough as nails, especially in grey with the BBS rims 8)

That ghastly mustard metallic colour they did it in though, is totally :camp:

Well I've just got a quote on the car in question and it'll be a massive £1050 Fully Comp for me with over 10years no claims and limited to 5k miles a year. My C is currently £270 FC with declared mods which I guess proves Kev's point that some bugger is going to nick it, and as I have no garage they won't have much trouble! :lol:

Just been to check on the valeters, still reeks of smoke and he's saying it drove funny on his little drive to bring it round to the workshop......but he also moaned about the GT3 we had in and that thing drove fine when I was in it so I think he just doesn't like anything with a harsher ride. Hopefully we'll see tomorrow.

Oh and this one is Silver with the standard 18" wheels and red leather, not my fave combo but oh well

Speaking from experience, the smoke odours will dissapear by themselves in time :D

£1050 for 5K miles is a rip off. I pay £750 for a year's worth of 400hp daily commuting and weekend fun :D

You cant compare an M3 to a Corrado, even a turbo charged one, sorry :grin:

Only thing you can do is drive it and see what you think. But I would much rather have 350bhp running through the rear wheels than through the front! Plus I dont think M3 drivers are dicks, they tend to drive the lower models made to look like M3's :wink:

Here's the thought process for fast BMWs:

Q1. Why buy an M3 when you can have an M5 for less money?

The M5 is just as fast, less fragile, less expensive to fix if it does go wrong, and typically you'll find it's a lot cheaper to insure than an M3. Indeed many insurers won't even touch the E46 M3 as it's earned a reputation as a bit of a widow-maker in the industry.

Q2. Why but an M5 when you can but a fast 7 series for even less money?

Yeah I thought it was a stupid statement when it was said to me too. But then my friend (who is also en experienced BMW mechanic) pulled up a 2 year old E65 745D on Autotrader's website at just £9,500. Having told me the E65 was a lot lighter than previous 7s he then said "we can chip that to 500ft/lb easily"...

Just a thought...

The M5 is just as fast, less fragile, less expensive to fix if it does go wrong, and typically you'll find it's a lot cheaper to insure than an M3. Indeed many insurers won't even touch the E46 M3 as it's earned a reputation as a bit of a widow-maker in the industry.

Yeah I thought it was a stupid statement when it was said to me too. But then my friend (who is also en experienced BMW mechanic) pulled up a 2 year old E65 745D on Autotrader's website at just £9,500. Having told me the E65 was a lot lighter than previous 7s he then said "we can chip that to 500ft/lb easily"...

Just a thought...

Best thing about the M3 is its engine and agility. You cant say that about a M5 and 745D!

Just a thought...

Best thing about the M3 is its engine and agility. You cant say that about a M5 and 745D!

I think I disagree to varying degrees with both those statements. The M5 isn't short of engine power or charisma and is at least as quick in a straight line. Both the E34 and E39 versions are surprisingly agile, and in fact if you park a E39 M5 alongside an E46 M3 you might be surprised how modest the difference in size is. The question remains : Is an M3 worth the extra money over the M5 considering the difference? My preference for E39 bimmers is well documented on here, and I remain totally convinced that it's the rarer, better car and a more sensible ownership proposition especially from a cost perspective.

Now I won't deny the 7 is still a large car, but they are not the poor handling tanks they used to be. My point is that the big 7's are massively specc'd, and for the purposes of 98% of the driving you are likely to do, a chipped up 745d like the one pointed to me will be at least as quick as an M model. Now personally the E65 is just a bit big for my taste, but I mentioned it because - as my friend pointed out - it's an option you could at least consider, especially considering that you could find a much younger car than either an E46 or E39, with iDrive & all the toys and still have a car that's impressively quick.

But I understand your points. I'm just throwing up ideas.

You only have to watch the M5 being chucked around the Nurburgring by the Ring Taxi drivers to see how capable it is.. I'd be surprised if the M3 would beat the M5 in that situation TBH. Where the M3 would make it up in the corners, the M5 would surely bring it back in on the straights?

I'd personally have an M5 over an M3 but wouldn't have a 745 over either. The 745 is a luxury barge and astonishing second hand value for money as you point out John, but I can't imagine they compare to the other two in terms of what they deliver as a driving experience... unless I'm way off the mark? :)

There is no way a well driven E46 M3 would not keep pace at the 'ring with a E39 M5,

Sorry but you cannot get around the huge weight difference, im not doubting the M5 as ive owned one myself but the E46 will run rings round the E39 on anything other than a straight line, anyone who says different is talking shite!