Sign in to follow this  
ryan_16v

JUST HEARD SOME VERY SAD NEWS

MILLERMANS Blackberry VR6 is now no more, it caught fire on the M3 last night and now is just about reconisable as a C. :( :( :(

:shock: kidding me!!! thats awful news, bet hes absolutely gutted!!!

He said he had to sit a watch it burn for 1/2 an hour untill the fire services turned up. By then there was no steering wheel or colum, and the wheels had melted. :(

Schitt :shock:

He is such a keen enthusiast too, absolutely gutted for him :(

Any ideas what may have caused the fire?

He said his dashboard lights flickerd then smoke started to appear behind the dashboard, then the rest as they say is history.

Short in the fusebox :(

I was thinking it was that (I lost a Jetta that way in the past), or perished fuel lines spraying fuel onto the exhaust manifold.

RIP Rado

Glad millermans ok thou... shame about the car but by the sounds of it it could have gone very wrong had he not jumped out of the car when he did.

thanks for the kind words guys

gotta say im proper gutted but im ok and like ryan_16v said dash lights flickered then went off then the stero did the same

then black smoke started to bello out the dash at the time i was in the outside lane so i managed to pull over onto the grass verge of the M3

grabed my phone and top and bailed and watched her burn it all happened so quick :( :( :( :( :( :(

Nasty man, truly gutted for u :( :cry:

I know it sounds harsh moving on, but have u had any word from insurance yet? Any silver linings? :(

This is very bad news, we are thinking of you millerman after this tragic event, I think I'll keep a 10mm spanner handy in the car to whip the battery connection off , could be a Corrado saver although by the time you see smoke the looms gonna be fubaaaaaa.

Mick

Glad you are OK, M man!

Sad about your car, but the cliche is true, you can always get another of 'em - there are millions out there. Your hand has been forced by fate and you should try and look upon this as a lucky escape to your person and an opportunity to search the market for something interesting again.

Never too old to learn - I am 64 but would not have guessed that an electrical short, or similar, in the C could have escalated so quickly such that you had to evacuate the C and then have to watch it burn.

All that wiring insulation gives off deadly cyanide fumes when it burns - s0d that - best to get your ass out of there just as you did!

I have always carried a cheapo extinguisher in the door shelf, but I had in mind perhaps a fuel fire starting. My son's VR6 was kept in by the garage once, as the fuel pipes were in such a bad state of deterioration (about 5 years ago this) they could not risk letting him drive away in it without working on them first. Seems we need to think of the wiring behind the dash as a more serious threat than we may have.