Vince@Stealth

ABS Pedal distance sensor now obsolete... Grrrrrrr

Ah well done Vince - I assume this is what Dave at DG also found... still got my old one somewhere so will crack it open and take a look!

I'd assumed the tracks wore out but they look nice and clean - I can also imagine heat from Turbo's cars maybe doesn't help with the life of the solder joints?

BTW - I think these may be available from VW again as someone at work had one changed by a local garage on a service recently - not sure where they sourced it from though but the price was £60 ish

Vince i still got your two new ones sitting in my office! do you want them dropping off next week?

Vince i still got your two new ones sitting in my office! do you want them dropping off next week?

Yes Please Rob....... Anytime.. No Rush

Vince

Yes Please Rob....... Anytime.. No Rush

Vince

OK no prob!

AHHH!!! bollox to that, just replaced both front abs sensors to get it working. Light goes off but i have noticed following replacement of the sensors as im slowing down occasionally (at low speeds) it likes put the abs on or sometimes as im just driving along i'll hear this humming noise and the pedal will be right at the top, a quick dab and its back to normal. From reading a couple of posts i bet its this expensive bloody thing thats bust :bad-words:

AHHH!!! bollox to that, just replaced both front abs sensors to get it working. Light goes off but i have noticed following replacement of the sensors as im slowing down occasionally (at low speeds) it likes put the abs on or sometimes as im just driving along i'll hear this humming noise and the pedal will be right at the top, a quick dab and its back to normal. From reading a couple of posts i bet its this expensive bloody thing thats bust :bad-words:

Get it to D&G mate and they do a refurb job on your old pedal sensor thats if the cause is that sensor

thats strange, i brought one of these last year from VW, sure i have the VW receipt somewhere.

they become obsolete in a year?

thats strange, i brought one of these last year from VW, sure i have the VW receipt somewhere.

A lot of stuff is becoming obsolete mate not good times im running out of room for all the spares i have lol

We've been living on borrowed time for some time. VW's stocks have helped prolong the availability. Look at the dates on the spares you buy. Stuff is upto 8 or 10 years old. They stopped making some spares years ago!!

Just bought the last two Scirocco Mk2 VW made front springs for a GTX/Scala/GT2. Sourced from VW Germany. Bought 2010. Date of manufacture 2002.

would the brake position sensors between the 16v,8v and vr6's be interchangeable? say if you had a vr6 and your mate had 16v for scrap could I take the sensor from their car?

also is there a knack to removing the sensor so I don't brake it?

I have mine back up for sale now as car up for sale and this was never needed in the end. £116 delivered as per group buy- think there is an ad in the classifieds for it..

That does look very similar, good spot! Hopefully Volvo have some stock but the same OE maker probably supply VW as well.

It's a bit radical, but retrofitting the MK3 Golf (Highline sort of age) VR6 ABS system does away with this sensor, and also the rear proportioning valve. Take out two achilles heels in one hit! PurpleTom on here has done it and it wasn't too bad a conversion by all accounts.

Forgive me if it has already been mentioned, but how do these 'break'? Looking at that Volvo site, the part doesn't look very complicated (I'm guessing they must be hence the price of them).

EDIT - Just read the whole thread, looks like both Vince and Dave have repaired these themselves in the past and perhaps they are also back in stock at VW.

Note to self - read before posting.

Edited by OllieVR6

Finally got my mechanic mate to take a look at this for me. I printed out Vince's picture from Page 18 of this thread as a guide.

Got the sensor out, being careful not to lose the O-Ring. Carefully split the unit open.

As Vince had said, the solder joints were looking tired. Resoldered them. Sealed the unit up with silicon.

Refitted, plugged in VAGCOM to clear the fault. Took her for a spin, no more ABS light!

Total cost about £2 and an hour including tea break :) While I was there we fitted the Audi TT wiper kit too. Amazing I have working wipers again, such a difference!

Edited by MikeVR6

Just read most of these posts. I have a faulty ABS pedal sensor in my VR6. Does anyone have a spare or know where a new one can be sourced? Will try opening it up later, hopefully it is just the solder joint.