Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Rear spoiler not working - FIXED !

I've searched but couldn't find anything that helps.

Spoiler doesn't rise automatically but works ok with the button. It's not worked since I've had the car so there's nothing I can possibly relate it to.

I've changed the module and clipped the blue/white wire to the head unit both without success.

Is there anything simple I'm missing or am I looking at an electrical fault somewhere?

Can't help thinking it's something down by the fuseboard as there appears to be some Green connectors not hooked up and also some random wires cut or not connected but I think these are old alarm related.

Any help very much appreciated.

Dave

Mine did the same and it turned out to be the mechanism was full of crud and had blocked the micro switches. Stripping it down and a good clean sorted it out.

Is there an unplugged blue/white wire at the fusebox end? Should have small black plug- the one on my green VR was unplugged, so the spoiler only worked off the switch.

Is there an unplugged blue/white wire at the fusebox end? Should have small black plug- the one on my green VR was unplugged, so the spoiler only worked off the switch.

I will have a look tomorrow. Ta

i have a full recon spoiler mech ready to fit,greased up came off a low mileage 95 vehicle, check out my for sale thread.

I will have a look tomorrow. Ta

Only just got round to checking this and yes there is an unplugged blue/white wire with a green plug. Checked for continuity between this and the module plug and yes it confirms this to be the correct plug. Problem is I couldn't see on the fuse board where this should fit. Any idea or a pic would be good?

From memory, there were a couple of empty slots on the back at the top of the fusebox. If you can drop the fusebox down a bit, you should be able to see where the other plugs are plugged in- just find an empty slot.

From memory, there were a couple of empty slots on the back at the top of the fusebox. If you can drop the fusebox down a bit, you should be able to see where the other plugs are plugged in- just find an empty slot.

Yeah I did see some empty slots, I'll try harder next time..................before teacher says it :lol: Thanks Andy.

Dave Bestwick- could do better, must try harder :nono: . Just so happens I'm in the middle of writing reports at the mo! :lol:

Dave Bestwick- could do better, must try harder :nono: . Just so happens I'm in the middle of writing reports at the mo! :lol:

:lol: I'll let you know how I get on.

haha - yeah at the top of the fuse box there is a row of green and a row of grey connectors...

Green is ignition switched 12v, Grey is for illumination I think.

haha - yeah at the top of the fuse box there is a row of green and a row of grey connectors...

Green is ignition switched 12v, Grey is for illumination I think.

I did notice that the Grey plugs are a slightly different shape/size to the Green, so you don't get them crossed?

Right I've done some more digging and found some more unconnected plugs, excuse the 'rats nest' I know I've got some sorting to do when the dash is out.

Working from left to right -

Green plug with blue/black wire

Yellow plug with black/yellow wire

Green plug with black/blue wire

Grey plug with blue/grey wire

There is a Yellow socket (out of focus) with nothing connected just behind the 2nd Green plug

I can only see 2 spare sockets in the fuse board for the Yellow/Green/Grey plugs, can't see any spare for the 1st Green plug.

It would be handy to know what these unplugged connections are for, everything seems to be working ok on the car with them unplugged.

Thanks Stu, I'm sure there is an answer in there somewhere......but I've had a drink and I'm crap with electrics :shrug:

Ok now I've got my dash swapped over and sorted some other issues at the same time the subject of my spoiler has come round again.

Today I swapped the spoiler module with a known good one and this didn't solve the problem. As said I've clipped the Blue wire to the stereo, in fact I've got no stereo fitted at the moment so that's ruled out.

Reading the previous post with the link about the blown transistor on the instrument cluster, I got from it that the VR doesn't have this transistor fitted....anyone?

I've tried plugging the spare connectors into the fuseboard with no success although since messing around with the dash I've found another spare connector, maybe I try that one too.

So does anyone have any possible suggestions, should I try a different instrument cluster if it does have the aforementioned transistor problem?

Thanks for any help.

Is there anyone local to you,who you could "borrow" their instrument panel ? Just for a test run !

It`s not a long job (as you know) If that doesnt sort it,it must be in your wiring !

sorry i cant be more helpful :?

Is there anyone local to you,who you could "borrow" their instrument panel ? Just for a test run !

It`s not a long job (as you know) If that doesnt sort it,it must be in your wiring !

sorry i cant be more helpful :?

Agreed it's the next cheapest option, anyone local reading this?

Will be borrowing a instrument cluster at the weekend from Purpletom on here so we'll see if that sorts the problem. If not then I can't think of anything else except dodgy wiring.

Finally got round to fixing this problem with big thanks to Chris (RW1) for supplying perfect info in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99187&hilit=spoiler

Turned out to be a rogue wire connected to the spare T1z Blue connector, unplugged this and away she goes so again big thanks to Chris for his help.

Thanks, it's very satisfying when a problem like this is sorted especially when you've fixed it yourself...........with a little help from this great forum of course :clap:

Nice one, Dave! It's taken a while! :lol:

Andy, it's been a tad cold for working outdoors but today seemed tropical in comparison :lol: Also sorted a blank oil temp reading that occured about 6 weeks ago so yes a good afternoon Rado fixing.