Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Fixed Height Column Mod - Parts List?

When / Where is this column exchange party due to take place?

I was indeed going to travel up and assist Rob with his column and fit the gazzers etc, so yeah, I'm up for guiding the end of someone's shaft into a dark hole :)

I think just to be different though Rob, you should replace your adjustable column with Nelson's column?

:lol: :lol: I dunno, Nelson's column would add quite bit of weight, might slow it down a tad and we can't have that, it's slow enough already! :lol:

I will give Geoffy boy a call and see if he'd be happy to host the first ever corrado shafting day at his workshop! I don't wanna take the piss as it's obviously his workshop but I'm sure he'd be ok with it as it's not gunna be chavs potentially stealing his stuff!

I will give Geoffy boy a call and see if he'd be happy to host the first ever corrado shafting day at his workshop!

ooh steady, Geoffy boy might get a bit excited by all those shafts in his workshop :lol:

I've cleared it with Boris Johnson mate, we're good to go for fitting Nelson's column in your car :salute:

I will give Geoffy boy a call and see if he'd be happy to host the first ever corrado shafting day at his workshop!

ooh steady, Geoffy boy might get a bit excited by all those shafts in his workshop :lol:

I've cleared it with Boris Johnson mate, we're good to go for fitting Nelson's column in your car :salute:

Nah, he won't get excited about our measly little shafts, he's used to big thick american shafts in his workshop :lol:

Right - this is what I have David! I'm figuring I need this lot:

Bottom Bearing - 171 419 517B (£3.02)

Bottom Spring - 191 419 343 (£1.13)

Top Spring - 1H0 419 667 (£0.65)

Contact Ring - 811 419 548A (£1.80)

Clamping Washer - N 901 824 01 (£0.52)

Spline Sleeve - 191 419 514 (£10.21)

Replacement Bolts - N 014 709 1 (x2) (£0.28)

Column Tube - 535 419 536 (£43.79)

Upper Steering Cowl - 535 953 515B (£9.40)

Lower Steering Cowl - 535 953 516B (£12.70)

Dont need to replace the ignition switch - replaced that no more than 2 years ago for a nice new one and it's still working fine :)

looks good Jim, I'll need to double check a couple of the minor bits, can't remember exactly what they are all for off the top of my head.

To be honest, everything is cheap apart from the tube, cowling and spline sleeve... so don't fret too much. I'll just order the lot. Better to have everything :)

I also have another UJ for the base of the column to fit which I believe came off a much younger car and should be tighter too... can you actually fit that from inside the car or is that something you need to do underneath? (if so, i'll scrap that from the work schedule!)

Ok - will save that for when I get the rack replaced :)

Jim FYI, I asked Vince the other day if he thinks it's worth me changing the UJ whilst at it and he said he's never really felt one with enough play in it to really need replacing!

Cool. Cheers for that. Will see how the fixed height column works out anyway first :) I need to replace the rack at some point in the not too distant future as it turns out the rack is to blame for the REALLY heavy steering on my 16v (thought it was the pump, turned out not to be) - so if it's still sloppy after the column change, when the rack gets done, I'll stick the other UJ I have on anyway :)

The UJ is a piece of p1ss to change.

is there not more room behind a VR lump than a 16v one to get at it from the bay though?

Just put in an order for the bits with my trusty dealer... however to my horror, found the slim steering cowling is now obsolete :| This is bad news.

Just checking with him whether they had stock still or whether I'm screwed.

Just put in an order for the bits with my trusty dealer... however to my horror, found the slim steering cowling is now obsolete :| This is bad news.

Just checking with him whether they had stock still or whether I'm screwed.

Ahh bugger! I best get mine ordered too if they have any left!

No chance. Apparently they went obsolete years ago, no stock left :(

hmm, mine almost just failed its MOT because of the column, will have to see what ways around it there are.

Well I'm assuming the original plastic shroud can still be fitted but that it will just look a bit crap as you'll have the cut out for the height adjuster which wont be present any more.

Well I'm assuming the original plastic shroud can still be fitted but that it will just look a bit crap as you'll have the cut out for the height adjuster which wont be present any more.

Yeah I thought that might be the case :( That will have to do I suppose until we find someone breaking a corrado that had a fixed column! Might be able to fashion something to cover the hole :lol:

hmm, mine almost just failed its MOT because of the column, will have to see what ways around it there are.

Must be pretty bad then! How's it feel? My steering wheel jumps up and down over bumps!

Must be pretty bad then! How's it feel? My steering wheel jumps up and down over bumps!

well its always had a bit of movement up and down, and you'd notice it when you put your weight on it to get out of the car for example. but i wouldnt say it moves badly over bumps like you're saying yours is! i also didnt realise it was an MOT issue either though. :(

the tester took the cowling off and tried to tighten up the relevant nuts etc but it will be something i worry about next year if i havent done something with it by then..

Running the risk of sounding daft here (nothing new), but what advantage does this conversion give?

On some cars, the universal joint in the column that allows the column to be height adjusted gets "slack" with age and you end up finding that driving in a straight line, you find the car wanders around on the road a bit or that you get vagueness in the steering.

By fitting the fixed height column you eliminate that UJ and it tightens up your steering :)

Running the risk of sounding daft here (nothing new), but what advantage does this conversion give?

On some cars, the universal joint in the column that allows the column to be height adjusted gets "slack" with age and you end up finding that driving in a straight line, you find the car wanders around on the road a bit or that you get vagueness in the steering.

By fitting the fixed height column you eliminate that UJ and it tightens up your steering :)

Cheers for that Jim, the reason I ask is that the UJ on my steering column was an advisory on last years MOT.

With the fixed height column fitted what sort of position does the steering wheel sit?

It sits pretty much central out of the 3 or 4 positions you have normally. I always have mine one up from the bottom setting and I've driven cars with the fixed height mod and it's absolutely spot on for me.