Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Fixed Height Column Mod - Parts List?

Got back ok mate I'm pleased to say - nothing fell off :)

Successful day all round. The weather held up nicely, the bearing was nearly a problem but David came up with a great solution which will work until I can get the correct bearing ordered and my word what a difference. Despite discovering I have a fair amount of play in both my track rods (not a problem - a new rack is in this cars future), the steering is utterly transformed. Just no vagueness / sloppyness on rough roads, when in the ruts caused by lorrys on the motorway, or in any other kind of condition. Thrilled to bits. Just need to do something about the bloody cowling now!

Cheers David :)

And I swear it's helped to lighten my excessively heavy steering (worn rack) so that it now just feels well weighted. Though maybe that's just some weird placebo effect ;)

So I did some digging through ETKA and found that the Passat part number for a fixed height column surround is identical to the Corrado one, except for its Passat part designation... so the Corrado parts (for an early car) are:

535 953 515

535 953 516

I looked at a 1990 Passat, and for a non-adjustable column the part numbers are:

357 953 515

357 953 516

They even look identical in the diagram. Total price is

Team local stealaship have come up trumps, or so i hope. Using the part numbers 535 953 515B 01C and 535 953 516B 01C has netted the parts below.

Now before i get too excited i haven't sourced anything else, so dont if know if they will fit.

Anyone want me to try and order some more?

You have PM, Ross.

Sadly my excitement about the Passat steering parts was shortlived. Parts guy said that VW obsoleted them when I ordered them too.

I think they've got it in for me!! :(

Jim, Rob - I’ve put in a order for 3 cowlings. Thought id get another in case someone else needed it, or possibly for remoulds.

Will let you know how it goes, cost was around £24 inc VAT.

I've got one on order from TPS Ross and they've not said they are obselete - could I have dibs on the spare you have though in case I can't get them please?

And if Supercharged doesn't need them, count me in! :D

Still need to find most of the other Corrado specific bits yet as TPS Essex don't do them...

I'm half way through converting to a fixed column. I have the adjustable column off and have drilled the ignition barrel out. I am just in the process of putting all the components together on the fixed column. I ended-up buying new parts from the dealer.

I don't suppose anyone has any close-up photos of the top end of a fixed column? I.e. the end near the steering wheel? I am trying to figure out how the top spring/clamping washer/contact ring all go together, I've tried assembling as in the parts diagram, but I cannot figure out how the column is held into the tube :?

Also, does anyone know how the spine adapter sleeve comes off the adjustable column?

Back to this again! I found an early 16v non adjustable steering column for sale, will this fit my VR6? Obviously I know I still need the cowling but for now would it work as mine has so much play its silly.

Back to this again! I found an early 16v non adjustable steering column for sale, will this fit my VR6? Obviously I know I still need the cowling but for now would it work as mine has so much play its silly.

yep, just order a bottom bearing and ignition switch, might as well do that if you are going to the trouble of changing columns.

Through sheer good luck Ross managed to get two more complete cowlings for Rob and myself. I have to say this is another example of the brilliance of this forum - he gladly went and sorted this out in his own time and is mailing them, at cost, to us. Tekara you are a total gent and I'm eternally thankful. If I see you at a meet or something I'll shout you a pint!

Excellent I will get it bought then!

Anyone had any further luck with cowlings as my local TPS said they were obsolete years ago? If Ross can get anymore I will gladly buy it off him :)

I think he drained the dealer dry. They only managed to source two full sets and one half (the lower part) - and that was it. They must have had some in their main distribution warehouse sitting around. These are well and truely obsolete now I think.

I have the bottom part of a fixed height early column surround and that clips straight on no problems in my late interiored car. I assume the only thing that is different is the top halves because the early and late hazard / indicator switches on top of the cowling are different. My feeling is all you'd need to do is swap to early indicator stalks or late indicator stalks depending on whether you get an early or late cowling.

I also reckon the stalks would be swappable between units so you could fit late stalks to an early "housing" and then fit those to an early cowling and vice versa. If that makes sense.

I prefer the feel of the early stalks, I don't think the early units would look too bad in a late car.

I have the bottom part of a fixed height early column surround and that clips straight on no problems in my late interiored car.

Interesting, have a look if the late top half will fit to the early lower when your package arrives. If you do i have another late top section, could then have a full cowling between us to help someone else out.

Id be well interested if there is a spare cowling going!

Think I just picked up a fixed column off eBay! :)

One more complete cowling in hand - if anyone wants, speak now.

Luckily the lower section of the third cowling finally arrived.